Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 Alfred Hitchcock classics everyone should see once!

*I found this article & I thought I would pass it along to all my movie friends. Since there is so many threads about Hitchcock, I thought this would be a fun read, & it also gives someone not familiar W./Hitchcock an idea of what films should be seen or not!*

*I have seen every film on the list, & I agree with some of the films that were choosen. I would have mabey added "_Shadow of a Doubt_" (1943) & taken off "_Rebecca_" which I find to be one of the most boring films by Hitchcock. I love _Shadow of a Doubt_. Joseph Cotten just gives me chills everytime I watch it.*

*So what films of Alfred Hitchcock should have made the list? What films should be taken off!?*

*Do you agree with the list?*

*The 39 Steps (1935)*

Robert Donat gallops across the Highlands to prove his innocence as fiendish spies and intrepid coppers try to nail him.

*Rebecca (1940)*

Hitch?s first Hollywood film, based on Daphne du Maurier?s novel, won the Oscar for Best Picture. Joan Fontaine plays the shy second wife of Laurence Olivier?s wintry aristocratic. But the hostile servants on his lonely estate and the mystery of his first wife?s death turn their marriage to ice.

*Notorious (1946)*

Ingrid Bergman is the daughter of a convicted spy, Cary Grant an American agent trying to expose a Nazi ring in South America. Their affair is a sickening tango of distrust and need as Grant uses Bergman to close in on his victim (Claude Rains). Powerful.

*Rope (1948)*

A neat, withering satire on the arrogance of youth. Two privileged philosophy students murder their friend, stuff him in a trunk, and invite James Stewart?s professor to dine over the corpse.

*Strangers on a Train (1951)*

Two complete strangers (Farley Granger and Robert Walker) meet on a train and admit how wonderfully convenient it would be if they murdered the most annoying person in the other?s life. The horror kicks in when one of them follows through, and blackmails the other.

*Rear Window (1954)*

Wheelchair-bound James Stewart watches the couplings of strangers in the windows opposite, and becomes convinced that one of them has murdered his wife. Grace Kelly, does the dangerous leg-work.

*Vertigo (1958)*

Few Hitchcock films are more revealing about the director than this cynical and brilliant obsession with a murdered woman.

*North by Northwest (1959)*

Hitchcock throws everything into this helter-skelter thriller about a New York advertising executive forced to assume another man?s identity. Freudian nightmare of a conspiracy.

*Psycho (1960)*

The most famous horror film ever made. The shocks are now universal staples: the sexually damaged serial killer, the beauty ruthlessly erased in the first reel, and the kindly serial killer with Oedipal hang-ups.

*The Birds (1963)*

A plague of birds terrorises a small town. The avian attacks are brutal and shocking.

Thanks,

September 2, 2008

Times Online, UK

It should have been 15 Hitchcock classics. Rebecca (1940) has a Selznick touch in it. That may have been the reason why it is not as strong as other Hitchcock films. Still, I love the film. Shadow of A Doubt is great too. I love The Paradine Case, Under Capricorn, Foreign Correspondent and Stage Fright.

So what films of Alfred Hitchcock should have made the list? What films should be taken off!?

Do you agree with the list?

I completely agree with the list. I believe those are the ten Hitch films most representative of his talent and appeal.

I have seen every film on the list, & I agree with some of the films that were choosen. I would have mabey added "Shadow of a Doubt" (1943) & taken off "Rebecca" which I find to be one of the most boring films by Hitchcock. I love Shadow of a Doubt. Joseph Cotten just gives me chills everytime I watch it.

Shadow of a Doubt is the film I like the most of Hitch's that did not make the list and Rebecca is my least favorite on the list. But I do believe Rebecca is the "bigger" film of the two.

What are your five "overlooked and underappreciated" Hitch films? How about you, Konway? Anyone else?

Hi FrankGrimes,

Here are my five overlooked and underappreciated films.

1) Under Capricorn

2) Marnie

3) Foreign Correspondent

4) Stage Fright

5) The Paradine Case

Rebecca (1940) has lots of Hitchcockian elements in it. But its not generally a "Hitchcock" picture.

*"Shadow Of A Doubt"* should have definitely made it on to the list...replacing *"Rope"* . It is my fav Hitchcock.

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> What are your five "overlooked and underappreciated" Hitch films?

In no order:

*"Spellbound"*

*"Young And Innocent"*

*"Stage Fright"*

*"The Trouble With Harry"*

*"Foreign Correspondent"*

Hey, Konway -- It's nice to see you around again.

1) Under Capricorn

2) Marnie

3) Foreign Correspondent

4) Stage Fright

5) The Paradine Case

You are the biggest supporter of Under Capricorn and The Paradine Case that I have ever encoutered. It's refreshing to me. You have definitely increased my appreciation for both films. The psychological aspects of each is what interests me most.

Rebecca (1940) has lots of Hitchcockian elements in it. But its not generally a "Hitchcock" picture.

I certainly agree with that. Hitch did his best to put his mark on it.

Hi, Miss Milland! -- This is the real Miss Milland, is it not? :D

I loved your photos of Grace in the "Worst Musicals" thread. That brought a smile to my face. :)

"Shadow Of A Doubt" should have definitely made it on to the list...replacing "Rope" . It is my fav Hitchcock.

I think that would be a decent swap. I like Rope on the list because of the "one shot" trick. It's one of the most unique films ever shot.

What are your five "overlooked and underappreciated" Hitch films? In no order:

"Spellbound"

"Young And Innocent"

"Stage Fright"

"The Trouble With Harry"

"Foreign Correspondent"

I like your list. I believe all of those films are underappreciated.

My five overlooked and underappreciated Hitch films are:

1. The Manxman

2. The Secret Agent

3. Mr. and Mrs. Smith

4. Family Plot

5. Rich and Strange

I agree that The Manxman, Rich and Strange, and Secret Agent are underrated. The Manxman has some of the best camera shots I have ever seen. I think Waltzes from Vienna is also very underrated. Its Hitchcock's only musical. And a really good one. One of the few films to use deep focus photography before Citizen Kane by Orson Welles. Waltzes from Vienna has lots of Hitchcock humor in it.

I like Family Plot. But I don't think its really great compared to Lehman's early effort with Hitchcock - North by Northwest. I don't know if I mentioned this. But Foreign Correspondent is also a study on an independent man like Johnny Jones. Hitchcock worked with many independent writers. One of them was Playwright James Bridie.

*So what films of Alfred Hitchcock should have made the list? What films should be taken off!?*

*Do you agree with the list?*

Overall, I agree with the list....although I'm not the biggest fan of *The 39 Steps*, and I've not yet seen *Strangers On a Train*.

In some ways, I'd rather the list be limited to 5, because I can easily pick my 5 favorite Hitchcock films....but when you open it up to 10, I can't decide on the last few spots and end up wanting 12 or 15!

But my top 5 are easy to pick:

*1. North By Northwest*

*2. Rear Window*

*3. Rebecca*

*4. Psycho*

*5. Notorious*

After that would come

*5. Foreign Correspondent*

*6. Vertigo*

*7. Spellbound*

*8. I Confess*

Then it gets tricky and I can't decide between a whole flock of them (yes, including *The Birds*, but also including *Suspicion, Rope, The Paradine Case and Mr & Mrs Smith* )

• 4 weeks later...

SPOILERS

As you all know, We see that Stage Fright (1950) has a lying flashback. Did you notice that there are lots of lies and false stories mentioned in the film? Jonathan's false story leads to the creation of false identity - "Doris Tinsdale." And we see Eve telling lies to Inspector Smith. We see Charlotte telling false story to the police. We see many examples like these throughout the film.