Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cher is among the 2018 Kennedy Center Honors headliners

jakeem

Cher, the longtime pop star turned Academy Award-winning actress, will be among the performers recognized in December at the annual Kennedy Center Honors in Washington, D.C.

Also named as honorees: the great country singer Reba McEntire (also an actress); the durable jazz saxophonist and composer Wayne Shorter; and the classical music composer Philip Glass. In addition, the creators of the stage sensation "Hamilton: An American Musical" -- Lin-Manuel Miranda, Thomas Kail, Andy Blankenbuehler and Alex Lacamoire -- will receive a special tribute for their groundbreaking work.

The event will be held on Saturday, December 2, 2018 at the Kennedy Center. An edited version of the program will be televised by CBS on Wednesday, December 26, 2018. 

Image result for cher mamma mia

Cher, who currently stars in the hit movie musical "Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again," was born Cherilyn Sarkisian in El Centro, California on May 20, 1946. She and her first husband Salvatore "Sonny" Bono (1935-1998), made a splash on the pop music scene in the mid-1960s as the singing duo Sonny & Cher. Among their Top 10 hits: "I Got You Babe" (No. 1 in 1965), "Baby Don't Go" (also 1965), "The Beat Goes On" (1967), "All I Ever Need Is You" (1971) and "A Cowboy's Work Is Never Done" (1972).

They took their act to television in the 1970s with two CBS shows: "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour" (which aired from 1971 to 1974 before their divorce) and "The Sonny & Cher Show" (which ran in 1976 and 1977 after it). In between those shows, Cher starred in her own CBS variety show -- "Cher" (1975-1976) -- which earned her a Primetime Emmy nomination and the cover of Time magazine.

Related image

Cher made her solo film debut in the 1969 romantic drama "Chastity," which was produced and written by Sonny.

She received a 1983 Best Supporting Actress nomination for her work in Mike Nichols' fact-based drama "Silkwood," which starred Meryl Streep as the real-life whistleblower and union activist Karen Silkwood (1946-1974). For her performance in Norman Jewison's 1987 romantic comedy "Moonstruck," Cher won a Best Actress Oscar.

Among her other films: "Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean" (1982, directed by Robert Altman); "Mask" (1985, directed by Peter Bogdanovich); "Suspect" (1987, directed by Peter Yates); "The Witches of Eastwick" (1987, directed by George Miller); "Mermaids" (1990, directed by Richard Benjamin); "The Player" (1992, directed by Altman); and "Burlesque" (2010, directed by Steve Antin).

Cher is a Tony Award shy of winning all four major entertainment awards. In addition to her Oscar win, she has picked up a Grammy and a Primetime Emmy.

Among her hit songs as a solo artist: "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)" (1966); "You Better Sit Down Kids" (1967); "Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves" (No.1 in 1971); "Half-Breed" (No. 1 in 1973); "Dark Lady" (No. 1 in 1974); "Take Me Home" (1979); "I Found Someone" (1987); "After All" (1989, an Oscar-nominated duet with Peter Cetera); "If I Could Turn Back Time" (1989); and "Believe" (No. 1 in 1998).

• Thanks 4

I'm not a Cher fan, although I enjoyed her in Moonstruck.  However, I just watched the Mamma Mia sequel, and like most baby boomers, had to check the entire cast's ages over dinner afterwards.  Cher (72) is supposed to be Meryl Streep's (69) mother, and also ex-lover of Andy Garcia (65).  Anyway, perhaps I'm just jealous of someone who was on TV when I was in grade school and can afford the plastic surgery to look 10 years younger than I do.

1 minute ago, rosebette said:

I'm not a Cher fan, although I enjoyed her in Moonstruck.  However, I just watched the Mamma Mia sequel, and like most baby boomers, had to check the entire cast's ages over dinner afterwards.  Cher (72) is supposed to be Meryl Streep's (69) mother, and also ex-lover of Andy Garcia (65).  Anyway, perhaps I'm just jealous of someone who was on TV when I was in grade school and can afford the plastic surgery to look 10 years younger than I do.

Cher is playing Steep's mother?    I saw an ad clip from the film,  and based on what I saw,  Steep looks more like Cher's mom (i.e. older),  than the other way around.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

WHAT???? NO BETTE MIDLER????? (said with a Korean accent) Sorry, not a fan.....

An unforgettable line from a classic "Seinfeld" episode! I'm sure Midler is a shoo-in for a Kennedy Honors salute someday. Like Cher, she's one award away from E.G.O.T. status (she needs an Oscar). 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Cher is playing Steep's mother?    I saw an ad clip from the film,  and based on what I saw,  Steep looks more like Cher's mom (i.e. older),  than the other way around.

Possibly that's because Cher appears to have had about 1,743 plastic surgeries, while Streep appears to have remained natural.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HelenBaby2 said:

I haven’t seen the Mamma Mia sequel or the original either for that matter, but isn’t the plot sort of a flashback to Meryl’s character when she was young? It makes sense that Cher would be the mom in that instance.

The British actress Lily James, who played Lady Rose MacClare in the television series "Downton Abbey," appears in "Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again" as the younger version of Streep's character.

streep_james_v650xx.jpg

8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Possibly that's because Cher appears to have had about 1,743 plastic surgeries, while Streep appears to have remained natural.

Not possibly; decidedly! :D  Seriously, though, surgeries or not, she was blessed with great stature and features.

Meryl seems prettier in advancing age than she was as a younger lady (my opinion, of course.)

15 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

STREEP's not looking too young these days either.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Cher is an interesting study. She started out packed with exceptional beauty & a great personality while somewhat low on talent. She was given such great material and heavily coached (both from Sonny) early enough that her youthful enthusiasm came through in all her performances, overcoming any lack of natural talent. Her "acquired" talent came from listening & learning from others and putting herself out there, often to much ridicule.

My favorite Cher story was when the movie MASK premiered. She was in the audience and when her name "Cher" came up on the screen, the audience laughed & twittered. Can you imagine how that must have felt to her hearing that? Well, at the end of the movie, when "Cher" came up on the screen, the audience APPLAUDED. That must have been incredible for her.

As a young girl, I idolized Cher. I even had the CHASTITY movie poster in my room and was lucky enough to see Sonny & Cher perform live. I've watched her career ebb & flow enduring public ridicule and all the bad jokes about her personal life. At the very least Cher has entertained us -for decades-by putting herself out there and giving us her all.
While at first honoring her seems silly...but when you really look at her career, it makes more sense: There's no doubt Cher is a highly intelligent person who has worked very hard for all her achievements and endured in a most unforgiving field, giving the public years of entertainment.

(and given brilliant Bob Mackie a fantastic canvas to design for!) cher-2.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Cher is an interesting study. She started out packed with exceptional beauty & a great personality while somewhat low on talent. She was given such great material and heavily coached (both from Sonny) early enough that her youthful enthusiasm came through in all her performances, overcoming any lack of natural talent. Her "acquired" talent came from listening & learning from others and putting herself out there, often to much ridicule.

My favorite Cher story was when the movie MASK premiered. She was in the audience and when her name "Cher" came up on the screen, the audience laughed & twittered. Can you imagine how that must have felt to her hearing that? Well, at the end of the movie, when "Cher" came up on the screen, the audience APPLAUDED. That must have been incredible for her.

As a young girl, I idolized Cher. I even had the CHASTITY movie poster in my room and was lucky enough to see Sonny & Cher perform live. I've watched her career ebb & flow enduring public ridicule and all the bad jokes about her personal life. At the very least Cher has entertained us -for decades-by putting herself out there and giving us her all.
While at first honoring her seems silly...but when you really look at her career, it makes more sense: There's no doubt Cher is a highly intelligent person who has worked very hard for all her achievements and endured in a most unforgiving field, giving the public years of entertainment.

I love her. She’s a survivor which counts for a lot in my book. 

• Like 2

I believe Cher's finest moment was when she delivered the eulogy at Sonny's funeral in January 1998. At the time he was killed in a skiing accident, Bono was a Republican U.S. congressman from California.

jakeem said: I believe Cher's finest moment was when she delivered the eulogy at Sonny's funeral in January 1998

Heh, I agree whenever her sentences start with "him" but thought each time she talked about herself it was kind of bad form.
There would be no Cher if there wasn't a Sonny Bono. He was like a tortoise that lifted her above the water.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Well said;   I'm not a fan of her music (hey, I'm the jazz man), or a lot of her work in film (but there are performances that stand out)  but clearly she is highly accomplished.   Of course there are the standard 'measures';   awards,  films she was in and their box office revenue,  albums sold,  ranking in the billboard chart, etc.....       Cher does better than most entertainers in this regard.

I do like her off screen persona;   E.g. interviews I have seen (I remember some good ones,  back in the day, on Letterman).   Yea, a diva,  but not a sour one (at least to me).

6 hours ago, drednm said:

PC awards to the max.

What does that even mean? I’ll grant you that Cher’s outspoken about politics and the creators of Hamilton had a moment with the VP but the rest of the honorees? I’ve never heard any of them mention anything to do with anything even slightly political.

On 7/25/2018 at 12:15 PM, jakeem said:

Cher, the longtime pop star turned Academy Award-winning actress, will be among the performers recognized in December at the annual Kennedy Center Honors in Washington, D.C.

Also named as honorees: the great country singer Reba McEntire (also an actress); the durable jazz saxophonist and composer Wayne Shorter; and the classical music composer Philip Glass. In addition, the creators of the stage sensation "Hamilton: An American Musical" -- Lin-Manuel Miranda, Thomas Kail, Andy Blankenbuehler and Alex Lacamoire -- will receive a special tribute for their groundbreaking work.

So, Glass is recognized for thirty-five years of work, Lin-Manuel is recognized for one hit Broadway show and a couple of Disney movies, and Cher is recognized for having a new Broadway musical to plug?

(Hey, Peter Stone had one historical Broadway hit too, where's HIS lifetime Kennedy Honors?)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

So, Glass is recognized for thirty-five years of work, Lin-Manuel is recognized for one hit Broadway show and a couple of Disney movies, and Cher is recognized for having a new Broadway musical to plug?

(Hey, Peter Stone had one historical Broadway hit too, where's HIS lifetime Kennedy Honors?)

Well, "Hamilton" has been one heckuva worldwide sensation, wouldn't you  say? Although Miranda is being recognized along with the musical's co-creators, he merited representation at The Kennedy Honors all by himself. He's an Oscar shy of E.G.O.T. status.

DjD7g2qU8AAWvD2.jpg

As for Cher, she's being recognized for her longevity and career achievements and not for the "Mamma Mia!" movie sequel. Remember, she's had a No. 1 hit on a Billboard chart in every decade since the 1960s.

P.S. As for Peter Stone, he died in 2003. It would have been nice if he had been honored, but don't get me started on the subject of Max von Sydow!

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

This "special tribute for their groundbreaking work" sounds likes a PR stunt to promote very active 'players' in the industry,   but I don't see why you compared them to Glass or included Cher since they didn't get this lame 'special tribute' but instead were honored based on a large body of work.

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

LOL!!!

37 minutes ago, jakeem said:

Well, "Hamilton" has been one heckuva worldwide sensation, wouldn't you  say? Although Miranda is being recognized along with the musical's co-creators, he merited representation at The Kennedy Honors all by himself. He's an Oscar shy of E.G.O.T. status.

As for Cher, she's being recognized for her longevity and career achievements and not for the "Mamma Mia!" movie sequel. Remember, she's had a No. 1 hit on a Billboard chart in every decade since the 1960s.

P.S. As for Peter Stone, he died in 2003. It would have been nice if he had been honored, but don't get me started on the subject of Max von Sydow!

So has Bette Midler (top 10 album in every decade).  I give her points for longevity though. Maybe she should get the plastic surgery award.........

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

So has Bette Midler (top 10 album in every decade).  I give her points for longevity though. Maybe she should get the plastic surgery award.........

So it is your position that Cher doesn't deserve the honor?    Can you name any other actor \ singer \ recording artist \ entertainer that has close to the type of awards nominations and wins,  box office movie take,  selling of albums,  #1 hits, etc.. that Cher has over the course of almost 50 years? 

I agree Midler is right up there with Cher but that just means Midler should be honored (not that Cher shouldn't).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings