Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did Anyone Watch MANDINGO?

Last night? Curious if they ran the film uncensored. I forgot to post an alert about it being on last night. I recorded it, but wont be watching till the wknd.

**it is worth noting though that, in watching the impeccably and Oscar-nominated set design of the Plantation House in THE FOXES OF HARROW, with its sweeping staircase and huge windows, one thing MANDINGO did really well was the set designs of the plantation in their movie, it's decaying and dirty and depressing and suggests all-around decay and feculance.

A bout of insomnia kept me up last night so, naturally, I flipped on TCM w/o knowing "Mandingo" was scheduled shortly. I don't ever remember feeling so much like I needed a shower after watching a movie. Several showers.

The guest programmer siting w/Ben considered this a blaxploitation film. "Shaft", "Superfly", "Foxy Brown", etc......I consider blaxploitation films.  This one? Sorry, no.

IMO the writing, acting & direction stunk. Now I remember why I couldn't stand Susan George. She was awful. Mason was an embarrassment. 

I don't know whether I felt so dirty after watching this movie because it was an overall exhausting chore to get through the hyperbolic dialog, excruciating acting & some gratuitous Russ Meyer-choreographed nude shots OR because of the tragic historical reality it attempted to depict.

At the end of the movie the guest programmer revealed that this movie inspired Quentin Tarantino's career, especially evidenced in his "Django Unchained".  Never being a Tarantino fan to begin with, all I can say to that revelation is: It figures. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Zea said:

A bout of insomnia kept me up last night so, naturally, I flipped on TCM w/o knowing "Mandingo" was scheduled shortly. I don't ever remember feeling so much like I needed a shower after watching a movie. Several showers.

The guest programmer siting w/Ben considered this a blaxploitation film. "Shaft", "Superfly", "Foxy Brown", etc......I consider blaxploitation films.  This one? Sorry, no.

IMO the writing, acting & direction stunk. Now I remember why I couldn't stand Susan George. She was awful. Mason was an embarrassment. 

I don't know whether I felt so dirty after watching this movie because it was an overall exhausting chore to get through the hyperbolic dialog, excruciating acting & some gratuitous Russ Meyer-choreographed nude shots OR because of the tragic historical reality it attempted to depict.

At the end of the movie the guest programmer revealed that this movie inspired Quentin Tarantino's career, especially evidenced in his "Django Unchained".  Never being a Tarantino fan to begin with, all I can say to that revelation is: It figures. 

Dang, YOU NAILED IT.

(Although, I actually liked DJANGO UNCHAINED a lot in spite of really not expecting to.)

• Thanks 1

For those who recorded Mandingo it seemed to run overtime.  I watched it live but I had the DVR set in case I fell asleep and I noticed the DVR shut off with about 15 minutes of movie to go.  I think I'm glad to have seen it because I had heard so much about it but once was enough.  It certainly won't be on my worth-repeated-viewings-list-no matter how many times I've seen it like All About Eve, Sunset Boulevard, The Thin Man and a number of other flicks.

The one thing I found funny, intentional or not, was the notion that "white ladies" didn't much enjoy sex so the husbands shouldn't ask them too often.  Apparently, Susan George's character was too enthusiastic during the wedding night because husband Perry King couldn't believe she was a virgin.  In real life, one would think he'd be happy, not insulted.  LOL!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Last night? Curious if they ran the film uncensored. I forgot to post an alert about it being on last night. I recorded it, but wont be watching till the wknd.

No, being so shy and retiring, I couldn't since I am afraid of men and really afraid of dingos, so that film is a double whammy for me.

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

For those who recorded Mandingo it seemed to run overtime.  I watched it live but I had the DVR set in case I fell asleep and I noticed the DVR shut off with about 15 minutes of movie to go.  I think I'm glad to have seen it because I had heard so much about it but once was enough.  It certainly won't be on my worth-repeated-viewings-list-no matter how many times I've seen it like All About Eve, Sunset Boulevard, The Thin Man and a number of other flicks.

The one thing I found funny, intentional or not, was the notion that "white ladies" didn't much enjoy sex so the husbands shouldn't ask them too often.  Apparently, Susan George's character was too enthusiastic during the wedding night because husband Perry King couldn't believe she was a virgin.  In real life, one would think he'd be happy, not insulted.  LOL!

GREAT. Guess I'll be missing the ending. :(

About 6 months or so ago, I asked in one thread if anyone thought TCM would ever show 'Mandingo'.

I only got one response and that response was "it's very unlikely".

Hard to believe they went through with it. Good thing it was on in the middle of the night.

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

I love that movie!

I am sorry about the "ba-bee" though...

I don't remember if I saw that movie before or after Elaine did her impression on

Seinfeld. Okay, Mandingo is not on YT for free, but Drum, which looks like a Mandingo

rip off, is. 

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

WOW! THey actually had an intro and outro? I thought it was on too late for that! LOL.

My thought exactly. When I saw the schedule, I just figured Mandingo was some TCM programmer's idea of an afterthought film that went along with the theme, and I wondered what Donald Bogle would think of that. But I guess Mr. Bogle actually selected that film.

17 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I don't remember if I saw that movie before or after Elaine did her impression on

Seinfeld. Okay, Mandingo is not on YT for free, but Drum, which looks like a Mandingo

rip off, is. 

I think Drum is a sequel of sorts.

12 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

My thought exactly. When I saw the schedule, I just figured Mandingo was some TCM programmer's idea of an afterthought film that went along with the theme, and I wondered what Donald Bogle would think of that. But I guess Mr. Bogle actually selected that film.

Yes, that seems to be the case. Interesting.

13 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Yes, Ben said that Bogle selected all the slavery films.  Ben also said Mandingo was a TCM premiere.

• Thanks 1

I just cannot believe that Richard Fleischer directed this film.

It was - filthy.

Extremely filthy.

And poor Perry King was reduced to full-frontal nudity.

I had to shut it off.

But I'll give it another try.

Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

BM+Mandingo+8.jpg

45 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Mandingo is not on YT but Drum, which looks like a Mandingo Ripoff, is

'Drum' is the sequel to 'Mandingo' - not a ripoff.

'Mandingo' was the first novel in the series. 'Drum' was the second novel in the series.

Thankfully, that's where they stopped with making movies from the series of novels.

the funniest part of the movie is james mason the patriarch insisting that a young black lad lay at his feet so he can drain the gout out of his leg.

at one point the kid pretends to writhe in pain because he has absorbed so much of mason's gout but mason will have none of it and insists the lad lay back down and once again puts his feet on him.

:lol:Image result for james mason mandingo

• Like 1