Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forbidden Hollywood Volume 3

Everyone please sign the petition at Garbor4Ever.com - to get the UNCENSORED, UNCUT and really PRE-Code release of Mata Hari on this next volume, Frankly, I do not see what was so "forbidden" about the first 2 volumes......the only film that really went a little overboard, was Baby Face with Stanwyck - the rest of those films were candy coated nonsense - but Mata Hari was so controversial, it was cut and censored by the Hays Code when it was greedily re-released by MGM in 1936 after the code had been installed, the original movie was release in 1932 definitely precode - this film is truly pre-code even in its cut version, let alone the original version which was shown in Brussels two years ago, so it does exist! Let us have REAL prec-code with Mata Hari (1932 version), Rain with Crawford, Susan Lenox, Inspiration (you should get a look at this film) in the opening scene Garbo gives us a lesson on how to seduce! Women of all ages could find this very interesting!

Thank you for letting us know about the petition. I definitely look forward to the release of that movie on DVD, whether or not it's as part of the *Forbidden Hollywood, Vol. 3* collection. Would it be possible to release instead a new volume dedicated entirely to GG?

*Everyone please sign the petition at Garbor4Ever.com - to get the UNCENSORED, UNCUT and really PRE-Code release of Mata Hari on this next volume,>>*

The rights to the restored *Mata Hari* are held by the museum in Brussels (I think it's Brussels). They have the print and they paid for the restoration as I recall a post from Nakano who had seen it.

It's not as easy as calling the Museum and saying "Hey, we're going to use it." It would depend upon the legalities of the deed of gift that was signed when the museum acquired the print.

Warner Home Video would likely have to do some negotiating to make it happen and it may take a while if other rights are involved. The legalities have to be fully vetted before hand.

It's not to say it won't happen just that it takes time.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *Everyone please sign the petition at Garbor4Ever.com - to get the UNCENSORED, UNCUT and really PRE-Code release of Mata Hari on this next volume,>>*

>

> The rights to the restored *Mata Hari* are held by the museum in Brussels (I think it's Brussels). They have the print and they paid for the restoration as I recall a post from Nakano who had seen it.

>

> It's not as easy as calling the Museum and saying "Hey, we're going to use it." It would depend upon the legalities of the deed of gift that was signed when the museum acquired the print.

>

> Warner Home Video would likely have to do some negotiating to make it happen and it may take a while if other rights are involved. The legalities have to be fully vetted before hand.

>

> It's not to say it won't happen just that it takes time.

Wouldn't WHV own the rights to any version of Garbo's Mata Hari, (restored or not) since it is still under copyright? The museum couldn't even publicly show it without WHV's okay if that were the case. That the museum may have the only restored copy doesn't give them the right to do anything with it except hold it. The only thought that comes to mind is that MGM didn't renew copyright on the original Mata Hari, only the edited version. MGM usually was pretty tightfisted with rights, though. This is the sort of mess we have to thank our politicians for.

Garbo received 5 oscar nominations, gave the greatest screen performance of all time in Camille, although some say Anna Karenina, please do not compare a second rate actress and not so much a looker, Garbo is named as the most beautiful woman or ever lived in the Guiness Book of Records, nobody knows who Kay is, today, except us movie buffs, but lots of people know Garbo, give me a break!

• 4 weeks later...

just a note, the uncut and uncensored version of Mata Hari was recently shown at a film festival in St Louis, Mo this month - the were showing films having to deal with WW I - if this is being shown in the US as we speak, at festivals, etc., THIS MUST BE AND WILL BE INCLUDED IN FORBIDDEN HOLLYWOOD VOLUME 3 along with Susan Lenox, that is widley considered very forbidden, and was recently the major subject of a new book on pre-code Hollywood, get with the program TCM!

sorry, i meant Kansas City, go to Garbo4Ever website and you get all the information on this showing and ever other movie, etc, when they are shown on Garbo, the just showed Flesh and Devil in NJ and Camille will be showing in CA soon!

Garbo was the best of all, her beauty, her acting (she is the only actress to ever be nomined for an Oscar twice in one year, For Anna Christie and Romance both in 1930

she is in Guiness Book of Records as most beautiful woman who ever lived

Please watch Anna Karenina and Camille to see someone suffer on screen! Give me a break!

• 2 weeks later...

johnbabe,

OK, While I greatly admire your passion for Garbo, haven't you ever seen anybody else? I am honestly starting to wonder about this?

No offense intended, but personally I would take Colleen Moore or Clara Bow over Garbo any day. And both were way more popular in the late Silent period than Greta was too. According to Exhibitors Herald Magazine a major trade publication among theater owners, for the year ending November 1928, Garbo only ranked twelfth most popular female Star in films for the past year. Not even making the Top 10. Just barely nudged out for the top of the second 10 by Janet Gaynor.

Clara Bow was a solid number one easily outdistancing everyone else, male or female, by a wide margin. Colleen Moore meantime had second place all to herself. Third on the list was Billy Dove! While Garbo was huge in the big cities, Bow and Moore were loved all over America! In the Smaller towns their movies did allot more business.

Simply must mention Renee Adoree, who makes a far greater impression on me than Garbo ever has. Watch THE BIG PARADE, and tell me that Garbo could have been anywhere near as effective as Adoree in the "Jimmy Leaves For The Front sequence"? Not a chance! It's also interesting to note that in the top 5 screen couples poll in the same edition of Exhibitors Herald John Gilbert and Renee Adoree were listed in the top 5 most popular combinations, while Gilbert and Garbo were not!

In addition, to me Corinne Griffith is far and away the most beautiful Silent Star! Gloria Swanson thought that Corinne was the most beautiful Woman she had ever seen. Though it's not well remembered today, Griffith was generally considered the greatest screen beauty of her day.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John for helping support this petition.

Have you seen the teaser i posted from teh Deleted dance scene??

anyway, i think they will not publish it on DVD so soon....it ahs to be restored, there are subtitles on it etc.

I can see one or two short scenes appear in a TCM Docu about cencored films etc one day. But it is unknown if FELTENSTEIN and co. have a copy of it now in the USA and if they would give some footage out..or at least pics.

The best is, TWO FACED WOMAN excists in FULL. i mean the uncensored version.

They screened it in 2000, in england.

John, yes your right it was VERY censored.

But the footage does not excist anymore, from what we know.

SUSAN cut scenes:

http://www.garboforever.com/US_Talkies_Productions.htm

The was a rumor in 2006 that SL would appear in a GABLE/LEADING LADIES box.

anyway, a bird whispered to me that we will get PAINTED VEIL in 2009....in Europe.

Not known who will releaese...but it will be a similar release like the CONQUEST one.

Probaly, France. lets cross fingers.

> {quote:title=GarboForever wrote:}{quote}

> Thanks John for helping support this petition.

> Have you seen the teaser i posted from teh Deleted dance scene??

>

> anyway, i think they will not publish it on DVD so soon....it ahs to be restored, there are subtitles on it etc.

>

>

> I can see one or two short scenes appear in a TCM Docu about cencored films etc one day. But it is unknown if FELTENSTEIN and co. have a copy of it now in the USA and if they would give some footage out..or at least pics.

>

> The best is, TWO FACED WOMAN excists in FULL. i mean the uncensored version.

> They screened it in 2000, in england.

Gee, I was wondering why my little comment wasn't posted here....hit the tab key once, and what you write disappears! :|

GarboForever , thanks for the updates!

Message was edited by: ziggyelman

gagman66 wrote:

In addition, to me Corinne Griffith is far and away the most beautiful Silent Star! Gloria Swanson thought that Corinne was the most beautiful Woman she had ever seen. Though it's not well remembered today, Griffith was generally considered the greatest screen beauty of her day.

It's well remembered by me. When I saw Corinne Griffith in "The Garden of Eden" (1928), my mouth fell open while contemplating that beautiful face.

Cheers,

Dan

• 1 month later...

Couldn't they just call it The William Wellman Collection instead? So far they've neglected precode comedy almost totally (though the first Busby Berkeley set had some). I don't mind the list of movies except I'd have preferred the slice-of-lowlife Lilly Turner over Frisco Jenny (ANYTHING but Donald Cook emoting, please). At least Heroes For Sale and Wild Boys of the Road will be out on DVD now. My Wellman set would have had Safe In Hell in it, though.