Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Remembers Anita Page In December

I was pleased to see that TCM had not completely forgotten Anita Page. There will be an 8 film tribute to her on December 2. Including OUR DANCING DAUGHTERS (1928), and OUR MODERN MAIDENS (1929). Also included is SKYSCRAPER SOULS (1932) which is one of her finest talkies. Thanks TCM! :-)

I hope they'll screen some of her rarer titles like NAVY BLUES, A GENTLEMAN'S FATE and ARE YOU LISTENING. Best of all would be to see WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS cleaned up debuted. It's missing some footage (with mercifully little effect on the continuity) and suffers from some of the worst nitrate damage I've ever seen, but it's still a great movie. Her career has, sadly, not exactly survived intact. Her starring debut TELLING THE WORLD is missing, and THE BROADWAY MELODY only exists in black and white. More confusing is the situation with CAUGHT SHORT, her first film with Marie Dressler and Polly Moran. The soundtrack definitely survives, but it's not known if the film itself is still around. I noted it was not included in the Dressler "festival" TCM ran not long ago, which is not a promising sign, but I don't know for certain if it's a lost film or not...

Ed, Aaron, Scott, Etc.

OK now, here is a terrific photo I ran across, that illustrates quite clearly just how popular Anita Page really was back in the day!

And in the immortal lyrics of the great Irving Berlin, ".....But You Forgot To Remember"! So hey, TCM just take a gander at this!!!*

AnitaPage-swampedwithfanmail.jpg

*Anita Page Swamped with Fan-Mail! "Help, I can barely move!"*

page-anita-WorriedLook.jpg

*Our Anita is obviously Heartbroken that She never received a typical "TCM REMEMBERS" segment. How awful! The Poor, Poor Girl!*