Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
johnbabe

Greta Garbo

Watch her films over and over and each time you will see in a different way, why she was unparalled in beauty and talent, you do not ever think she is acting, her love scenes were done as no one else ever did, she makes you understand why she loves the man in the scene with her, and as a woman, I see that she could convey a woman's true reactions to the situations her films put her in, she could express every woman's emotions who are in love, or not, or mistreated, or sad or happy, she was the the epitomy of a woman;s emotions, even though, she herself was multi-faceted in her make up personna! A truly gifted and beautiful star!

I agree with everything you say

I have watched her last movie with tears in my eyes

and hating MGM for casting her in this awful movie

because she was a hit in Ninotchka, they rushed her

into another comedy, and Two Faced Woman was a bomb

after Ninotchka, they should have cast Miss Garbo in a thriller

along the lines of a good Alfred Hitchcock film, and got away from

the tragic costumers and unfunny comedies.. also Hollywood should

have given her another chance. If you ever see the film My Cousin Rachel

you can see why she was considered for this ..the part was made for her

and lastly she was never photographed in color, so the world never saw

her matchless blue eyes...

Ms. G also turned down The Paradine Case with Hitchcock, it was a perfect role for her in 1947, I get so angry with her for ending her career like she did, sooooooooo young!

Guess we've got to respect her decision to leave the industry. Actually, doing it this way solidifies her place firmly in history.

I've enjoyed her performances.

did you know she turned down some many roles, even Joan of Arc because she did not think herself worthy of portraying a saint! Also, she was asked to play the Mother Superior in the Trouble with Angles by Ida Lupino, they wanted to give GG one million dollars, she said no, of course, and Roz Russell took the role for considerably less money!

Hedy Lamarr was the most beautiful woman in the world, not only in the movies. garbo never had the tile of most beautiful woman in the movies, it all started with Hedy, then came Ava ( most beautiful animal was the phrase ) and of course, Liz.

I have been a fan of Garbo since I was a teenager. And, although I have to agree with Hedger that Hedy was the most beautiful woman in the world and held the title, I have to bring up the fact that those titles weren't really created until the very late Thirties into the Forties. There was the Sweater Girl, the Oomph Girl, etc. Hedy won the title because of the timing, and she was unquestionably the most beautiful. But, had the title been around in the silent era, there is no question Garbo would have won, starting the trend.

Here is one photo attesting to that fact:

thGarbosinglestandard-1-1.jpg?t=1225342509

LICENCEBOX, is proud to announce the launching of GRETAGARBO.COM, the official website of the one of the greatest and most alluring actress of all time. The site is the best new source for everything Garbo. Featuring exclusive images and clips direct from the estate, the site has just what every Garbo fan needs. There's biography, trivia, quotes, filmography,movie trailers and video tributes. Gifts and apparel featuring the screen goddess are available in the Greta Garbo store. This includes jewelry inspired by Garbo, designed by her nephew, Derek Ricefield. You can also keep informed of exhibitions, screenings, and other breaking news about the immortal actress, through the site itself or sign up to receive email updates. Come see the new home of film's most enigmatic and fascinating woman at GRETAGARBO.COM

you do not know this, duh, that she was named the most beautiful woman who ever lived by the Guiness Book of Records,..........................nobody else has that title, it was given to her in 1955 at the age of 50.............................she also had a symetrically perfect face, it was even measured by the make up people of MGM top that, dud!

johnbabe you know that isn't true...

if you watched The Paradine Case

you will see why they caled VALLI

the new GARBO..breathtaking

beautiful face AND a gorgeous figure....

what you said is NOT in the Guiness

book of records...

Well, you can?t really blame johnbabe. She can only believe what she reads. Here are just four sites which support her claim. It is unfortunate that the 1955 Guinness Book of Records is not readily available to prove or disprove this ?claim.? I have tried in vain to find the exact page or the 1955 book on the Internet to prove this; however, enough websites support the claim, which encourages people like johnbabe to ardently support the statement that this in fact is true. It would be great if anyone found the book and made public that this is actually fact or fiction. Again, I think this would be almost impossible, but with so many sites supporting the claim, I would accept it as true based on the variety of websites purporting this as fact. If anyone would like to investigate further, just type into Google ? 1955 Guinness Book of Records The Most Beautiful Woman Greta Garbo, and you will see how many sites support this statement.

http://www.hollywoodsgoldenage.com/actors/garbo.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Garbo

http://www.hollywoodusa.co.uk/biographies/garbobio.htm

http://www.kevo.com/profile/gretagarbo

Nevertheless, I find her beauty intoxicating, and she will forever remain my #1 Star!

And, after hearing the claim that ?so and so? (i.e. Valli or anyone else) was the next Garbo, Miss G said, ?There will never be another Garbo.? Now, that is FACT.

9977_1-1.jpg

Z90.jpg

pr_42.jpg

<ahttp://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo108/ArmandDuval/DBQ72RQJT8DKaa.jpg>

TF784.jpg

t299.jpg

ab617.jpg

hello, there is now a new website: GretaGarbo.com and they actually have on their website, official by the way and sanctioned by GG's family, a photo of the actual certificate from the Guiness Book of Records given to GG naming her the most beautiful woman who ever lived! It most certainly is a fact of reality! duh!

thanks, for posting the new website and on the site, have you seen the certificate given to GG from the Guiness Book of Records naming her the most beautiful woman who ever lived....it is really true!

I'm looking at a photo of Garbo taken by Arnold Genthe in 1925. It's one of several that are credited with convincing MGM to sign up "that blonde Swede." It doesn't look anything like what they turned her into -- she's even more breathtaking in Genthe's pictures than she was in her films, if you can believe such a thing. (Genthe said, "One can forgive Hollywood its crassness -- but not its blindness.")

The picture appears in the November 1938 issue of Coronet. If it hasn't already been posted here, you can see it at leninimports.com/garbo/genthe

Message was edited by: faceinthecrowd

That's a great picture, and it certainly looks as though it belongs in the group that Genthe took in 1925. If you Google:

leninimports.com/garbo/genthe

. . . you'll get four results. Click on the first and you'll see the photo I was talking about. Garbo's hand is at her throat, as in this one, but it's a full face portrait, and she's looking straight at the camera.

Here is another one I found from that shoot. It doesn't look like she used much make-up. It is pretty raw, but you can see her in there and what she would become.

GarboGentheb.jpg