Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marilyn Monroe or Jayne Mansfield?

Glad you caught that, LTL! Didn't you just love Jean Hagan in that movie?

I'll try to be a little more "serious" today, and say that I really agree with Loliteblue that Monroe (as difficult as she was on the sets, and messed up about needing to be loved) really gave up some very good performances that still stand up to today's critiques. ML

Marilyn all the way - she made it a point to learn how to act, and really develop her skills. Jayne was strictly T&A - she wanted to be a "star" - which she certainly was, but definitely not an "actress."

But one thing that has always bothered me about Marilyn is that she changed herself so much. If you look at photos of her when she first started modeling, she looked so wholesome and natural, with her long brown hair and not too much makeup - she was beautiful. She looked much better in her early days, rather than later on when she went blonde and wore all that makeup.

Jean Harlow. lol :)

Sorry, not a big fan of either.

But I admire Marilyn for her strength and thought she was a fascinating icon. She DID make a few good films, but nothing I'm overly impressed with. I enjoy her, though.

As far as Jayne Mansfield goes.. I actually prefer her daughter Mariska Hartigay, from Law and Order. LOL ;)

Moviejoe...please don't overlook that M.Monroe was a "studio property" when it was decided to make her a "sex symbol"...complete with the "look" that went with it during her reign. It really was not her decision to change so much in that direction with make-up, etc...in fact, she tried desperately for many years to have people see her as an actress rather than a "sex symbol". ML

You're right ML - Marilyn DID work hard at becoming a good actress, and wanted to be considered just that - and perhaps she would've kept a more natural look if she was given the chance. You know, I've always seen Marilyn as a simple girl who got caught up in the life that she led - and I think deep down all she wanted to do is get married and have a family. I've heard that DiMaggio was going to ask her to marry him again before she died. I think if they got married then she definitely would've quit movies, and settled down with him. It's a shame really - I think that's why he was so broken up over her death.

• 1 month later...

MovieJoe, what a refreshing attitude that Marilyn was more beautiful before being "made over" in Hollywood. I heard the same thing you did about how she and Joe DiMaggio were going to remarry had she not died...seems like it was in a biographical book or video of her. What made me interested in her life was the HBO movie from 1996 titled "Norma Jean and Marilyn". From there, I started collecting her movies. She seemed so sad deep down inside, always relying on what others thought of her for any sense of self-esteem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Marilyn Monroe..she is definately the most celebrated actress of all time!

She si the greatest female film legend...there are pther women during that time who were just as big a stars as she was, but they do not have Monroe's mystique or unique charisma.

Love her or hate her...she makes an impact...moreso than anyother person!

And as for Jayne, maybe if she had more drive to become an actual "actress" she would not have turned out to be "just another Monroe wannabee".

I love Marilyn, she was cute, sweet, beautiful, adorable and a good actress. Very much a star IMO.

On the other hand, I can't stand Jayne Mansfield - I don't think she could act her way out of a wet paper bag. And I sure don't think she was attractive. So, she had boobs - does that a star make? I think she was quite sleazy - not classy, at all, like Marilyn was.

Frankly (my dear), I don't think they should be mentioned in the same sentence. Am I opinionated about this? Yeah, I know I am. *grin*

Fortunately 'The Girl Can't Help It' is memorable for more things than just Jayne Mansfields boobs and peroxide hair. For all the horrible things I've said about Jayne Mansfield she actually did quite well in this movie, and she was just perfect for the part. But to watch the screaming, baggy suited, bouffont haired Little Richard is worth the price of admission alone.

I think this was a curiously good movie and a great time capsule of its period. I bet people will watch this movie a hundred or two hundred years in the future and say "Man, the 1950's were cool"

Regards

The early Marilyn has the advantage for me, but once Marilyn started to become an exaggerated caracature of herself she lost her edge and ended up looking like the sort of person the media thought she was. I like Jayne and her deliberate ham-ing up of scenes worked well in comedy, WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER is my fave Jayne movie, mainly because it also contains one of my fave stars Joan Blondell, I think Joan is a very under-rated actress and was very skilled at playing the double-meaning like in Rock Hunter when she says "Every morning when that milkman came around I got a mouthful of hard", meaning of course, that she was upset, but the way that Joan says things you can never tell what she means. Returning to Jayne I enjoyed watching the BBC documentary on her that was aired about 2001 and it was really sad when Mickey said he once heard Jayne playing the violin outside their door, this was after her death, you can tell that Mickey really loved Jayne and it was nice to see how her daughter looked very like her.

JanePowellFan

This conversation seems to bounce from thread to thread. Dear JanePowellFan any comments and critisisms I make about Marilyn Monroe or Jayne Mansfield or Diana Dors is based entirly on their 'Public Image'. I did't know them personally and can't honestly make comments on them as human beings. However there is one consistant factor with actors and actrsses who's lives end tragically, They seem to reach a point where they are surrounded by sychophants and nobody else can get close enough to tell them to lighten up.

I often tell my daughter who wants to take drama in college, that if she becomes rich and famous always keep someone close to you who isn't impressed by you and isn't afraid to tell you that you're full of ****. Let's face it, we all need it sometimes. Hobbes always gave Calvin good advice.

Regards

I say neither. Give me Linda Darnell. All one has to do is see her in FALLEN ANGEL. Any straight guy who's knees don't turn to jelly when they see her has a problem. As an actress she was very under rated. When her career was on a downward slide she was in a low budget, little known film , entitled THIS IS MY LOVE. She is superb in it, and gives us, in my opinion, one of the great dramatic monologues about life's misfortunes and missed opportunities in all of cinema.

I always think of Jayne Mansfield as a sort of 1950's version of Anna Nicole Smith--all about the publicity and not at all about the acting. Maybe I'm wrong?

Marilyn Monroe could actually act a little. She might have been good if she hadn't been so unstable.

I kinda agree with the comparison of Mansfield and Smith - but I won't go that far. Nobody - and I mean nobody - makes me sicker than ANS.

Linda Darnell? An absolute beautiful lil darling. Too bad she died so young and so tragically.

• 1 month later...

I've been a Marilyn Monroe fan since I was 15. I adored and admired her since. She's my idol! I didnt know about Jayne mansfield until about 8 months ago. I've never seen one of her movies. Hopefully TCM would show a Jayne mansfield movie one day. I'd like to learn and see more of her. But no matter what, I'll always love Marilyn Monroe.