Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who would you like to see on Private Screenings?

don't know if it's true that Paul Newman suffered a stroke or not>>

Paul Newman is suffering from cancer that has spread to other organs of his body (likely stage 5 cancer- which likely means he has been ill longer than has been publicized). He has expressed his desire to step out of the limelight and spend his remaining days with his family. Barring a miracle or a change of heart on his part, I don't think we will be seeing him on *Private Screenings*. It is possible, however, that he has sat down for an extensive interview for the *Turner Archive Project* before he became ill.

As Lynn previously said, Paul Newman is unfortunately suffering from major cancer-related health problems, and it is quite unlikely the will give any more interviews. I do agree it would be very sad that he was never interviewed for a "Private Screenings" when his health would have allowed it.

One thing that we have to remember is that not every star wants to sit down for a *Private Screening*. I can imagine that Newman and Taylor were sought after by TCM for *Private Screenings* but it is possible that both declined the offer for personal reasons.

Newman has not been given that many television interviews since *Private Screenings* became popular and Taylor is very conscious of her looks and very conscious of who she talks to. Aside from Larry King, is there anyone lately she has sat down with for a one-on-one television interview? Perhaps she feels very comfortable with King and the format of the show.

I remember reading somewhere, perhaps the LA Times, where Rod Steiger tried to talk Taylor into sitting down with TCM but unfortunately he passed away before he could convince her.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> One thing that we have to remember is that not every star wants to sit down for a *Private Screening*. I can imagine that Newman and Taylor were sought after by TCM for *Private Screenings* but it is possible that both declined the offer for personal reasons.

Yes, it's true that it won't always be due to health concerns. I believe we can all understand any celebrity wanting, late in life, to enjoy some peace and quiet away from all the bright lights of studios and TV sets, and/or not wanting to talk about certain things that would very likely be asked.

I'm sure the TCM producers have made almost every effort to convince many of the actors that have been mentioned in this thread, even if for reasons of privacy they aren't able to come out and say they tried to get such-and-such person to sit down for an interview.

Besides the fact that Mr. Newman is quite ill, I've read that he's deaf as a post and the last time I saw Miss Taylor on one of those entertainment show, she was looney as a tune. I, for one, don't want to see that.

The person, besides Ernest Borgnine, that I'd like to see is Dean Stockwell. He worked with a lot of major stars when he was a kid and he's still working. I think he'd be a great interview.

I would also like to see Peter O'Toole get interviewed. He might have already done an interview.

I also would like to see Dean Stockwell. One of the first "old" movies I saw was the boy with the green hair. I forgot the name of that movie but I still remember watching it with my mother. I also LOVED Married to the Mob.

Rhonda Fleming, John Gavin, Anita Ekberg, and Robert Wagner.

Also Patricia Medina: married to Richard Greene, and Joseph Cotten until his death. Pat starred in dozens of MGM & Columbia films of the 40's and 50's.

And Arlene Dahl and Jayne Meadows know lots of stories/gossip from the old days and aren't too shy about spilling the beans.

I would walk across hot coals to see Lizabeth Scott or Jennifer Jones on PS. And Olivia or Joan would have a wealth of history to share.

Clint Eastwood - actor & director

Ron Howard - director

Sidney Poitier

Anthony Hopkins

Tommy Lee Jones

Vanessa Redgrave

Michael Caine

Joanne Woodward

Kim Novak

Jessica Lange

Ed Harris & Amy Madigan

The Coen Brothers & Frances McDormand

James Woods

Whoopi Goldberg

To name a few..... ;)

As much as I would like to see them Jennifer Jones, Lizabeth Scott, and Joan Fontaine would never consent to doing a TCM interview. All three are somewhat on the reclusive side. DeHavilland comes to this country and only on special occasions. As for John Gavin, I think he prefers to forget his entire film career. I saw him in person about a dozen years ago with his beautiful wife Constance Towers (now how about her for a TCM interview) and even though he agreed to autograph a photo for me, he told me not to tell anyone about this. Silly? I saw a filmed interview of Anita Ekberg, who now lives in Europe. She is so bloated one would really never recognize her. My candidates would be Dean Stockwell, Robert Wagner, Gloria DeHaven or even Tony Martin. All four probably have lots of stories to tell.

Lynn (lzcutter) said:

"Taylor is very conscious of her looks and very conscious of who she talks to."

This made me think of Dietrich, who only agreed to appear in the documentary *Marlene* (directed by her *Judgment at Nuremburg* co-star and friend Maximillian Schell) if she wasn't filmed, and just did voice overs. She didn't want anyone to see an older Marlene. Turned out to be her final public presence.

*"My candidates would be Dean Stockwell..."* - Edgecliff

I thought of Stockwell the other day too. I hope he remembers alot from his youngest years in Hollywood. If so, I would be really intrigued to hear from him.

But he may not be interested. When TCM did a "Private Screenings" with "Child Stars" a few years ago, he didn't participate. Now he may not have been asked but he may have also declined. (His participation would have made more sense than Darryl Hickman.)

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=144332&mainArticleId=144330

Kyle In Hollywood

-------------------------

"Ooohh, there was a little polecat whose life was poorly spent.

When his father died he found himself

cut off without a (s)cent."

*F. McGee*

*"This made me think of Dietrich, who only agreed to appear in the documentary Marlene (directed by her Judgment at Nuremburg co-star and friend Maximillian Schell) if she wasn't filmed, and just did voice overs. She didn't want anyone to see an older Marlene."* - ChipHeartsMovies

This situation was expressed wonderfully in the poster for the film -

marlene

Source: WalterFilm

(Click through for a larger version.)

And this film was a highlight of Dietrich's "Star Of The Month" schedule a few years ago.

Kyle In Hollywood

--------------------------

*F. McGee*

My top pick for a Private Screenings interview would be *Olivia deHavilland*. But then, she would be my top pick for 'Person I'd Most Want to Write a Memoir" as well. And really, of the two, I'd prefer the memoir, because it would give her as much space as she wanted to talk about Errol Flynn....who she apparently still loves and misses.

Second pick would probably be Elizabeth Taylor. I'd be very interested in anything she had to say.

Olivia de Havilland and Elizabeth Taylor. What a wonderful Private Screenings would be.

Shall I just give up the ghost re: DORIS DAY???

P.S. I'd agree with Chip earlier in this thread when he puts his bid in for Lizabeth Scott. That would be great!

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Olivia de Havilland and Elizabeth Taylor. What a wonderful Private Screenings would be.

>

> Shall I just give up the ghost re: DORIS DAY???

I think it's unlikely she will appear but we can always hope. I've heard she doesn't like discussing her Hollywood days. The closest I've ever seen her come to talking about her career was on that animal show she did on cable. She had Rock Hudson on, and he was very ill, and they talked about the old days. It was very sad. I rarely watched that show though, so she may have been jabbering on about the old days all the time for all I know.

I wonder how much Robert Osborne has to do with this. He certainly has a network of friends and actors he's dealt with who like him and would feel comfortable talking to him. He no doubt has at least some people who don't care for him or he doesn't care for who probably wouldn't do the show because of that. I guess if he and Day or Taylor or Robertson etc. were pals or knew each other they would be more likely to take the time to do the show.

Peter O'Toole , Dean Stockwell, Gloria DeHaven, Tony Martin.....and some of the others, good suggestions! Don't think anyone mentioned Ricardo Montalban, did they???

As for Doris Day, she did comment on 2 shows on the 5th Doris Day show DVD. Kind of like having teeth pulled to get her to talk about much, except animals on the show, and fashion. I think she did some commentary for the Doris Day Christmas DVD coming out(Think its culled from the TV show, not a special Christmas show)

MOLO: I wonder how much Robert Osborne has to do with this. He certainly has a network of friends and actors he's dealt with who like him and would feel comfortable talking to him.

When the time comes and Robert Osborne has to retire I wonder who he would pick to be his last interview.

If he could interview anyone, WHO would Robert Osborne pick?

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> When the time comes and Robert Osborne has to retire I wonder who he would pick to be his last interview.

>

> If he could interview anyone, WHO would Robert Osborne pick?

I'm not sure who would be his choice. Interesting question though.

Did you or anyone else notice that in Mongo's "Candids" thread near the top is a picture of Robert Osborne interviewing Olivia de Havilland. It doesn't look that old either. I wonder where this interview was done. He's holding a microphone. It's in the same post as a Gloria Grahame picture. Does anyone know under what circumstances this interview took place?

I guess I should just ask Mongo. :)

*"Did you or anyone else notice that in Mongo's "Candids" thread near the top is a picture of Robert Osborne interviewing Olivia de Havilland. It doesn't look that old either. I wonder where this interview was done. He's holding a microphone. It's in the same post as a Gloria Grahame picture. Does anyone know under what circumstances this interview took place?"* - molo14

I haven't seen the picture in the "Candids" thread, but I did know that the Motion Picture Academy saluted deHavilland here in Los Angeles on her 90th birthday. Robert Osborne was the host of the event.

You can see Academy photos from the event here -

http://photos.oscars.org/listanevent.php?events=651

You can read the Academy's announcement of the event here -

http://www.oscars.org/events/past/2006/de_havilland_tribute/index.html

Kyle In Hollywood

--------------------------

*F. McGee*

Molo,

Somewhere back in the archives of this message board is a thread about Ms. DeHaviland appearing at the Academy in honor of her birthday.

CinesageJr, who alerted us all to the event, was in the audience that night and posted about the evening.

• 4 weeks later...