Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MissGoddess

10/02/08 - TCM Evening of Noir

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}>

> I haven't watched it yet, Silly Goose. But there are a few classic films I have seen

> that you have not; mostly film noir and silents, and some foreign-language.

>

I'm very badly behind in silents, it's embarrassing.

> Is it a noir?

>

> Yes, it's a color film noir. If I could only remember who shot the film. Hmmmmmmm...

>

That name "Scarlet" makes me jump to the conclusion it was Lang?

>

> I think Smithy might be safer back in the asylum.

>

> Ohh, Dorothy is merely looking for love.

Dorothies are always looking for love. :P

GPB-andvalet05.jpg?t=1221698580

GPB-andvalet06.jpg?t=1221698621

html>

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> You see now! You've actually seen a classic movie that I haven't! Is it a noir? She looks

> naughty enough to be a femme fatale. I think Smithy might be safer back in the asylum.

Not every femme fatale is that naughty. ;)

I'm very badly behind in silents, it's embarrassing.

It's nowhere near as embarrassing as your horrendous taste in film. :P

You've seen a few more silents of late thanks to your Pappy.

That name "Scarlet" makes me jump to the conclusion it was Lang?

It was not. ChiO just felt a sharp pain in his side and he has no reason why.

I always feel a sharp pain in my rear and I KNOW why. :P:P:P

Dorothies are always looking for love.

And the poor Tin Man doesn't have a heart to share. :(

> It's nowhere near as embarrassing as your horrendous taste in film. :P

>

I'm blissfully unaware of any reason to be embarrassed over THAT.

>

> It was not. ChiO just felt a sharp pain in his side and he has no reason why.

>

Does that mean the pain in the side is Samuel Fuller? :P

> I always feel a sharp pain in my rear and I KNOW why. :P:P:P

>

I know why, too, it's because that is what you are.

> Dorothies are always looking for love.

>

> And the poor Tin Man doesn't have a heart to share. :(

Don't tell me you've seen The Wizard? Why didn't he give you taste? :P

I'm blissfully unaware of any reason to be embarrassed over THAT.

"Blissfully unaware" is the perfect description of you.

Does that mean the pain in the side is Samuel Fuller? :P

No. It's not who directed the film, but who "shot" the film.

I always feel a sharp pain in my rear and I KNOW why.

I know why, too, it's because that is what you are.

You always say the sweetest things to me.

Don't tell me you've seen The Wizard? Why didn't he give you taste?

He did! But in your perpetual state of blissful unawareness, you wouldn't know.

You actually believe John Ford and Gary Cooper are good.

> "Blissfully unaware" is the perfect description of you.

>

Sometimes it's the only possible way to be around here, with serial killers and jack-the-rippers

jumping at me from every corner!

> Does that mean the pain in the side is Samuel Fuller? :P

>

> No. It's not who directed the film, but who "shot" the film.

>

John Wayne? I hear he was a good shot. :P

>

> Don't tell me you've seen The Wizard? Why didn't he give you taste?

>

> He did! But in your perpetual state of blissful unawareness, you wouldn't know.

> You actually believe John Ford and Gary Cooper are good.

Good to the last drop! :D

Sometimes it's the only possible way to be around here, with serial killers and jack-the-rippers

jumping at me from every corner!

So it's not me who is in the asylum but you.

No. It's not who directed the film, but who "shot" the film.

John Wayne? I hear he was a good shot.

Only if the shadow is big enough for him to hide in.

You actually believe John Ford and Gary Cooper are good.

Good to the last drop!

Well, it's time to drop 'em.

> So it's not me who is in the asylum but you.

>

You put me there!

>

> John Wayne? I hear he was a good shot.[/b]

>

> Only if the shadow is big enough for him to hide in.

You ought to know, Shadow!

>

> Good to the last drop![/b]

>

> Well, it's time to drop 'em.

Right on your head. :P

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote} But the one I have never seen is the one

> I'm most curious about, *Down Three Dark Streets*. I really like both Ruth Roman and

> the Brod.

I recorded it when it showed and it's a nice little film.

> {quote:title=Arkadin wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote} But the one I have never seen is the one

> > I'm most curious about, *Down Three Dark Streets*. I really like both Ruth Roman and

> > the Brod.

>

> I recorded it when it showed and it's a nice little film.

Definitely sounds like something to look forward to! B-)

> {quote:title=Arkadin wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote} But the one I have never seen is the one

> > I'm most curious about, *Down Three Dark Streets*. I really like both Ruth Roman and

> > the Brod.

>

> I recorded it when it showed and it's a nice little film.

Thanks, Arky, I'm looking forward to it. I also have *The Mob* with Crawford on dvd to watch.

*Does that mean the pain in the side is Samuel Fuller?*

I'm sorry, MissG, we're going to flip over all of the cards. Our Mystery Guests are Director Allan Dwan and Cinematographer extraordinaire John Alton. And don't miss the upcoming The Devil's Doorway, the Mann/Alton Western, which I looking verrry forward to seeing. Hope there's no moral ambiguity or modernist taints. :)

> {quote:title=ChiO wrote:}{quote}

> *Does that mean the pain in the side is Samuel Fuller?*

>

> I'm sorry, MissG, we're going to flip over all of the cards. Our Mystery Guests are Director Allan Dwan and Cinematographer extraordinaire John Alton. And don't miss the upcoming The Devil's Doorway, the Mann/Alton Western, which I looking verrry forward to seeing. Hope there's no moral ambiguity or modernist taints. :)

:D:D

And here I thought that honor of being a pain in your side really belonged to me. Well,

I will keep trying.

P.S. I love Devil's Doorway! If there's any of that nonsense in it, then it went clear over my head. :P

I watched *Down Three Dark Streets* which starred Broderick Crawford and Ruth Roman and

it scared me pretty good. It's about three seperate FBI cases that may or may not be connected

and Crawford is the agent who has to crack them. I realized almost as soon as I saw the

story credits ("The Gordons" ---who they are I've never found out) and the first few characters that

this is an earlier version of Blake Edward's thriller, Experiment in Terrior. The remake is smoother and more streamlined, and perhaps superior over all but this one is still to be

recommended for being shot almost entirely on locations and for being very realistic in many

details and characterizations.

Fans of "under the radar" noirs might enjoy it, it's grimey, unveven and dreary enough but the

action does keep you on the edge of your seat I must say. Some procedural aspects come off

as a bit of a "commercial" for the effectiveness of the FBI, but that's to be expected of the period.

Crawford and Roman add class and credibility, as does a small part by Kenneth (The Thing) Tobey

and a very moving performance by Marisa Pavan. Martha Hyer gets to step out of her class for

a change and play a...lady in love with a gangster.

It was cool to see the Los Angeles "streetcars" they used to have. I mean seeing L.A. in this

period in time is like seeing another city altogether---I would never have recognized it as the place

I lived in just a few years ago.

If any of you were able to record it, it's worth a look. The producers (Levy & Gardner) and director

(Arnold Laven) are the team behind "The Rifleman" and "The Big Valley" and cinematography

is by the guy who did "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte".

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote}

> Fans of "under the radar" noirs might enjoy it, it's grimey, unveven and dreary enough but the

> action does keep you on the edge of your seat I must say. Some procedural aspects come off

> as a bit of a "commercial" for the effectiveness of the FBI, but that's to be expected of the period.

> Crawford and Roman add class and credibility, as does a small part by Kenneth (The Thing) Tobey

> and a very moving performance by Marisa Pavan. Martha Hyer gets to step out of her class for

> a change and play a...lady in love with a gangster.

>

Thank you for the recommendation. I do have a recording of it and hope to watch it soon; Broderick Crawford for me is one of those eminently watchable actors that makes almost anything he's in quite worthwhile. I almost fell in love with him right from the first time I saw him (in the 1979 *A Little Romance* from George Roy Hill) and have enjoyed him in movies from *Beau Geste* to *All The King's Men*. Great, great actor.

Hi, Miss Gun for Hire -- Your comparison of Down Three Dark

Streets to Experiment in Terror has piqued my interest in the

film. I really like Experiment in Terror. It's a rather frightening film

with a strong ending. A film ahead of its time. I'm still amazed that it was

directed by Blake Edwards.

Because of the three separate cases, *Three Dark Streets* is a bit more unweildly to follow

but the basic plot points of *Experiment in Terror* are still there. So is the scariness. Los

Angeles comes off as seeming very violent and threatening, which of course it was when

I lived there and so I guess it always was.

I do think the ending of *Experiment in Terror* is more exciting, but the similar use of a famous

landmark location in the original is also effective.

I liked *Boomerang.* I'm not sure it was that exceptional but it offered good performances by, among others, Cobb, Kennedy, Begley, and Andrews. Jane Wyatt is given nothing to do and what aspects of the story that might have developed her character are not explored.

(Minor) Spoilers!

I don't always care for the docu-drama type stories either but this one worked well. The films brings up issues with the legal system and how political concerns can drive an investigation. The murder itself is never really explored as to motives. It's like a MacGuffin and it left me wanting to know more about the person the film alludes to as the actual murderer. This is set up by two scenes with the priest that point to two possible suspects. In a film dealing with a murder investigation I like to know more about the reasons for the crime. This movie isn't about this but about the case and how it affects the people of the community, the political players, the DA, the cops, and the press. The press and the politicians are a driving factor in the investigation which is often the case even today. We also have seen in so many films like this that when a large number of eyewitnesses come forward in a murder investigation they probably aren't very reliable.

I'm not much for films that spend a long part of their conclusion in the courtroom but it worked pretty well here.There were several twists and turns that kept me interested. Based on a true story, the film hints at a culprit to the actual murder but I don't know the real story so just going by the film's inference that was unsatifying, but again, not the real point of the film. So for the case that is brought to trial it was handled in an interesting way and left me with a lot of questions about the Connecticut legal system back then. Also the scene where the priest is discussing something with one of the possible suspects (done in flashback or wait, wasn't the whole movie done in flashback? :) ) anyway, that conversation let me wondering exactly what they were really talking about.

As a crime drama this film works well. It will keep you guessing and to that end will inevitably bring up a lot of points without exploring all of them. I liked the opening shots of the town and the crime itself. The interrogation scenes and the montage of line ups were also effective. Anyone else watch this one?

Great write up on Boomerang!, Molo!

I have to confess it's not a favorite because of the "dryness" and the lack of any real digging

into the psychology of any of the characters. *He Walked By Night* suffers the same, in my

opinion. They are, after all, "docu-dramas", I suppose and so procedure is more the focus

than character motivations.

The most interesting aspect of Boomerang! is just as you pointed out, the way it demonstrates

how politics can monkey with justice. Did you see *The Captive City* which aired later? It has

a somewhat similar theme, only this time organized crime is tied up with local government and

business.

Hi MissGoddess,

Unfortunately I missed *Captive City.* I recorded *Naked City* and *Down Three Dark Streets.* I liked Ruth Roman in *The Window* but I haven't seen her in much else that I remember so I wanted to catch DTDS to check her out. I saw *He Walked By Night* so long ago that I would really have to see it again to comment. I do have it in my collection.

Three Dark Streets and The Naked City are two very good movies. Experiment in Terror takes though. I saw it as a kid and it still creeps me out. This movie holds up very well.

Message was edited by: Skeedaddy