Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
thaellar

Best first-viewed classic seen lately

What classic have you seen recently for the first-time that you enjoyed?

For me it is Death of a Scoundrel. My wife and I thought it was the most aptly named movie we've seen in a long time. I really like George Sanders, he always seems to be very casual and natural in his roles.

Death of a Scoundrel? Hmmm, I just recorded that the other day, but didn't watch it. I'll hafta get on it!

For me it was a few weeks ago, the film "The Human Comedy". I had never heard of this Rooney film until several on this board mentioned it as one of Rooney's best. They were right I loved this movie and Rooney had me close to tears several times.

Just last week I watched "The Snake Pit" for the first time on Fox Movies, and it blew me away. Olivia deHavilland gives an OUTSTANDING performance as this deranged woman who's put into a mental asylum by her husband. It was a really well made movie, and had great performances by everyone. The only funny thing about it was the fact that Celeste Holm was in it, but only for like two minutes. Her part was very small, and yet at the time the movie was made, she was a fairly big star.

1940's "The Primrose Path" starring Ginger Rogers & Joel McCrea......it was better than I could have imagined and Queenie Vassar played a great part as a Grandma you'd just love to slap around.........

"The Affairs of Anatol" ('21) starring Wallace Reid & Gloria Swanson. Patypancake suggested renting this one from Netflix and I'm so glad I did! It's a wonderful silent directed by Cecil B. DeMille.

Plot: A cheating husband finally comes to his senses after he realizes that he is about to loose his faithful wife.

I watched "Three Comrades" the other night because I happened to see the ending about a month or two ago and wanted to see the rest. I thought it was great, with good performances from all the cast.Defenitely worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

Yep, "Three Comrades" is great isn't it. I think I mentioned that one in the Great Movie Alert thread (Your Favorites folder) a while back. I wish more folks would post (especially the little known) classics which are soon to be shown on TCM there;-)

The one I recently saw (for the first time, if you can believe it) was "Dodsworth" ... very, very good!

Speaking of "Dodsworth", Path40a--I cannot believe the roles of Dodsworth and Howard ("Treasure of Sierra Madre")are the same actor (don't need to mention who). Okay...several year interval between "Dodsworth" and "Sierra Madre" and something about his teeth (or lack of). For me, I guess the tip off--both characters talk at a faster than light pace.

To the subject of this topic. Viewed a tape of recently broadcast "Night Into Morning" starring Ray Milland and the former first lady. "Lost Weekend" and "Night Into Morning"--Ray Milland has GOT to be the number one drunk. Uhm...best actor/actress at playing a drunk.

Really good movie, too.

"City Lights" with Chaplin and a wonderful performance by Virginia Cherrill.

Recent treat:

Arsene Lupin (1932) A gentleman thief risks his life in an attempt to steal the Mona Lisa. John Barrymore, Lionel Barrymore, Karen Morley. D: Jack Conway. BW 84m. CC

>>>A pre-code delight. Clever and naughty, with excellent by-play between the Barrymores in their first film together. Similar in plot to the much later Thomas Crown Affair films.

Past treat:

Father Takes A Wife (1941) A famous actress has to win over her ready-made family when she weds a shipping magnate. Gloria Swanson, Adolphe Menjou, Desi Arnaz. D: Jack Hively. BW 79m.

>>>Highly amusing battle of manners and willpower. This film has perhaps the longest ?uncomfortable characters in a comic pause? ever.

All-time prize:

Libeled Lady (1936) When an heiress sues a newspaper, the editor hires a gigolo to compromise her. William Powell, Myrna Loy, Jean Harlow, Spencer Tracy. D: Jack Conway. BW 98m. CC

>>>A comic masterpiece! Why this film does not receive higher acclaim/popularity is unimaginable ? on same stratum as It Happened One Night (1934). Top stars in superb form. A must for all classic film fans.

http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/ThisMonth/Article/0,,62623,00.html

Someone already mentioned THE SNAKE PIT, which aired on Fox, and I completely agree! It was incredible! I also saw CALL HER SAVAGE with the beautiful, contriversial Clara Bow, which impressed me. Oh, if only TCM could show more Bow pictures (I understand why they can't, I was just wishing!).

I agree that Dodsworth was a terrific suprise, as was Three Comrades. I enjoyed Flamingo Road; somehow it had escaped my radar. As You Desire Me this morning was an eye-opener, and it was fun to see a very young and very lovely Hedda Hopper.

Alix, thanks to a very dear friend among us, I also got to see "Call Her Savage" for the very first time last week! What an awesome movie! It's sure easy to realize now what a film could do get away with, or show, in that "pre-code" era. Whoa! And, it's interesting to note that every bit of it, and more, can be seen in films again today...and it's just "old hat" to us now.

Tonight (Sunday) on Silent Sunday's on TCM, I'm going to get to see another film for the first time that I've been waiting for a long time to see..."Intolerance". ML

last night i saw for the first time, "In Name Only" i have put this in my catergory of all time Cary Grant favorites. i just lovveee Cary Grant. God that man was so handsome, and this movie with Carole Lombard was just wonderful. this was a "viewer's choice". i forgot the name of the lady who requested this movie but i just want to shake her hand. i fell in love with Cary Grant all over again. if you ladies have not seen this movie, you missed out. this is the perfect "Girlee Movie" Cary Grant is in a loveless marrige with Kay Francis who plays the hell out of her role as the conniving wife who will do anything to keep Carey as her lunch ticket and he meets Carole Lombard and falls in love with her, well Kay finds out and she really stoops low to keep them apart by pretending to go through divorce proceedings after telling Carey she will divorce him so he can marry Carole. Carey gets sick and Carole is at his bedside. i don't want to tell all of it but that is the jist of the movie. but it was wonderful. i truly enjoyed it. i found myself talking at the TV set telling Carole to "Go get your man, girl!" lol! Ladies, if you love Carey Grant like i love Carey Grant, ya got to see this movie. this man is sooo fine! (sigh)

humm...Ray Milland may played a good drunk in "Night into Morning" but did you see Jack Lemmon in "Days of Wine and Roses?" now he worked his role as a drunk. Lee Remick was too shabby either.

This is a great topic. I have two: 1. The Parent Trap. I remember seeing it a few years ago, but I recently saw it again, and I absolutely loved it! It is so much better than the remake! Everybody is perfect in it.

2. The Fordidden Street, which is also with Maureen O'Hara as was the one above. This one was on Fox Movie Channel, and it stars O'Hara and Dana Andrews, who plays both of her husbands. I thought it was a very interesting movie and great performances by all, especially by Andrews (who is not usually one of my favorites). I think he had an accent for this movie or something.