Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ricky1

Old TV Special-Manhattan Towers

Does any none remember a TV Special called Manhattan Towers, I think with Gordon Jenkins Music.? Would it be on a vhs from years ago? It may have been a live tv show probably in the 50's or earlier.

MANHATTAN TOWER was a musical narrative by Gordon Jenkins with accompanying narration. The original recording was on Decca and the narrator was renown radio actor, writer and producer Elliott Lewis. I believe Jenkins later recorded TOWER on Capitol; I don't know if the Capitol recording was narrated. It's very possible that Jenkins performed TOWER on a musical variety show (such as TOAST OF THE TOWN) but I'm not aware of any actualities.

Hi ricky1, I have to admit that I've never heard of the show. If it was a "live" special in the time frame you mentioned I doubt it was ever recorded. Video tape didn't arrive until the 1960's and prior to that the only way to record a live show was through a process called Kinescope. It was a system of filming a show off of a tv screen. The quality was pretty bad most of the time and if a live show was filmed that way, it usually was just as a file copy for the producer or sponsors.

That was the trouble with live shows. If somebody wanted to show them again, they had to be performed again live. That's way you, unless a show was filmed, you never saw repeats in the summer. The show would be replaced by something else for 13 weeks.

Thanks to all who replied to my inquery about this program; The Saturday Special was the show I remember.I Still have the record,but I guess that the TV show is lost.It was probably not filmed.Thanks again .

The Museum of Radio and Televison in Beverly Hills and NYC has a large catalogue of Radio,TV shows and specials. I am not sure if MANHATTAN TOWER is among their catalogue of shows. Usually these shows were done live so all that exists is a kinescope. I have seen many TV specials from the 50s at their museum including LADY IN THE DARK and CONNECTICUT YANKEE. The museum does have a website, but they don't supply copies of any shows in their collection.