Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Greatest Performances Ever

I, personally hate it when people refer me to other threads, but....since you asked here is a link to a thread I remember from a couple months ago where the boarders listed the performances that they loved best, thought were amazing, or gave them chills...whatever...LOL!

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=124825&start=15&tstart=0

I was thinking more of the Sight and Sound polls for movies, in which a lot of people make their suggestions and they're compiled together. As it happens I'm not particularly impressed with the Oscar choices, which is why I asked for a critical opinion with more perspective.

I also like Hepburn in LION IN WINTER. Her best work. I like O'Toole in another movie, GOOD-BYE, MR. CHIPS. He achieves a level of depth I rarely see. Alistair Sim does this as Scrooge, another of my favorites. I'm a Jimmy Stewart fan. He overplays at times. But he has incredible sincerity. I'll say IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, though he's just as good in some others. I love David Niven AND Deborah Kerr in SEPARATE TABLES. And there's a character actor named Harry Davenport. Expressive eyes, energetic interpretation. You see him all the time. One of the best actors in movies.

Well that's all well and good, but I don't just want people to mention performances they've liked. I'm looking for a broader picture. If the AFI was doing a special on the 100 greatest performances, and they actually had good judgement, what would they pick? (Also, what would they pick if they looked at non-American films.)