Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM's New Look - Your thoughts?

Personally I like the new movie themed look of TCM. I understood the TCM City concept but it never really did anything for me. How did that relate to movies?

I especially like that the trailers are now shown on the "movie screen" I thought it was somewhat annoying to view the trailers on those slanted billboards.

Kudos to whomever gave the greenlight to the "New" TCM.

It's modern but it is also movie themed! Hooray for that concept!

Yancey

Yancy,

I'm with you. I love the new "look". They have done a wonderful job of using some of the best elements from their *Oscar* salute interstitials and I hope they continue the look as it feels classy and modern but at the same time very old-fashioned.

Now, if they could re-purpose the music from the *Oscar* salute more often I would be in heaven as I loved the piece of music that was composed for the 2 minute spot.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Now, if they could re-purpose the music from the *Oscar* salute more often I would be in heaven as I loved the piece of music that was composed for the 2 minute spot.

I'm with you on that as well.

It's interesting to me all the thought and effort that must go into doing a change like this, and for all the people who watch TCM as ardently as we all do, you're the only one who commented on my post.

Wasn't there a big to-do when they finally changed from the long lasting "Old Tyme" look and sound?

I thought more people would be as relieved, as I was, that the city look was finally over and there was a return to "a classy and modern but at the same time very old-fashioned" theme.

Yancey

I like ALL the supporting artwork promos TCM has done - past & present - although some more than others. The "city" theme always struck me as being the WB backlot, since the "rollback" opener where all the buildings slide into camera view start with a distinctive water tower, I'm assuming the famous WB one.

I especially liked the billboard and lobby card framed coming attractions, I thought they were cute. My fave spot is the one where real people's heads fall beneath a movie star face - I like the music & the images both.

Haven't I heard the music bites heard elsewhere? I always thought they were looped portions of public domain music.

I knew people working in a special effects studio that were making a model to be used on Canada's cable movie channel openers. It was a rube goldberg type of "movie machine" with a Remington typewriter as it's core. So creative!

Nothing beats the big TCM foam building with the gangster logo and the searchlights with the violins, horns & timpany though!

*"I thought more people would be as relieved, as I was, that the city look was finally over and there was a return to "a classy and modern but at the same time very old-fashioned" theme."* - yanceycravat

I was OK with the billboard and buildings promo themes - though I always thought of "TCM City" as being a very stylized fictional place and seeing "real" representations workd against that idea.

But I am very pleased with the look of all the new "theme" pieces. I hope the company that has created them (and was responsible for the original "31 Days..." piece) continues working on all sorts of creative work for the channel. I would even entrust them to create a new opening for all the Robert Osborne-introduced films. I believe that opening (the deco building with "Robert Osborne" on the marquee) is the last remaining piece from the very beginning of TCM.

Kyle In Hollywood

--------------------------

"Ooohh, there was a little polecat whose life was poorly spent.

When his father died he found himself

cut off without a (s)cent."

*F. McGee*

I like the movie screen "coming up" listing. I have also seen the "Word of Mouth" opening which is fine. I don't think it better than the old one but it's ok. I haven't seen a trailer yet but what I have seen looks brighter and that is good.

Did I miss it or did they not do a "Star of The Month" featurette? I know things are tight but I hope those stay and I miss the monthly music video promos. Of course, I'd be happry to suffer through "The Essentials" promo a lot less. That has run its course for me.

I like the old style intro for Osborne. That may be the one thing to keep if only for the first prime time (8 pm) movie.

Chris,

I, too, miss the monthly music videos that they used to do (though I don't miss all the protests surrounding them). I hope they have not been retired permanently. Perhaps they will return at a later date somewhere down the road.

Also, I love the new open and close to *Private Screenings*.

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> Nothing beats the big TCM foam building with the gangster logo and the searchlights with the violins, horns & timpany though!

That's probably my favourite opening, as well.

Only thing I don't like right now is the size of the letters for the "rating" that come up now just before the movie. Seems waaay too big.

I too miss the music videos. I think the last one was for December, and had Gary Cooper as SotM. I've always wondered if all the complaints about the really punky one for September 2006 (William Holden as SotM, the day of shorts and the tattooed girl looking through a telescope) is what put the lid on these promos. I remember the board going crazy with protests when that one came out. It's too bad, I always looked forward to them.

And I still miss the old, "Sunny Side of the Street" morning opening. It was so perfect. I recently watched a disc with that old intro and it was like seeing an old friend again.

I do like the new graphics they're using for upcoming films. I like that a lot, as well as the new openings for "Word of Mouth." It also cracks me up that they're using the same generic guitar music for "TCM Underground" as "The Soup" (on E!) does. It makes it (for me at least), less edgy and more silly.

Really, really sick of the TCM Essentials promos. I loved them at first, but please stop cramming them down my throat. I'm wondering how ratings are for that, since I don't think I've ever seen a program on TCM so heavily advertised as this season of The Essentials. I've even been getting emails from TCM's publicity person, in hopes that I would watch the new lineup.

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

I would even entrust them to create a new opening for all the Robert Osborne-introduced films. I believe that opening (the deco building with "Robert Osborne" on the marquee) is the last remaining piece from the very beginning of TCM.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle -

I agree. I guess it's the last vestige remaining. I would assume they are working on that as well.

No one probably realizes this now, since it's been many years, but the Osborne opening was even longer early on! It was prudent to cut it down.

Just as it was an interesting change to alter the mood of Osborne's promo for the guest programmer. Do you recall how somber it used to be?

Yancey

I dug the older style stuff, but I dig the new stuff too. Kyle, I'd prefer they NEVER change the evening intros, but that might change if...shudder...Robert ever moves along, but no way, that intro rocks!

I actually prefer the movie lineup intros (3 movies listed) as it is now, it's pretty cool, and I like the daytime intro, but I don't like the morning intro, it doesn't really seem to grab me (the dude running up the stairs).

One minor gripe....they need some music backing when they do the rating deal...it's just dead silent and it seems weird that way.

> Only thing I don't like right now is the size of the letters for the "rating" that come up now just before the movie. Seems waaay too big.

Ugh, FF, I saw that for the first time last night and immediately thought of your post! I agree with you 100%. Who designed THAT?

I've been busy so I've been recording a lot and haven't seen all of the new stuff, but in general I really won't care as long as they keep the programming the same.

As for the larger ratings, let's just be thankful that they don't do what Fox Movie Channel does and superimpose them over the first 20 seconds of the movie including the opening logo and part of the credits. I will say I think it would be better with a little music. I clocked it at about 15 seconds and that's a lot of silence.

I really hate the silence during the rating screens which are shown before the film starts. I record alot from TCM, and silence makes it harder to edit recordings. The music helps you know the split second you have to hit the 'cut' button on a DVD recorder.

Hi Beda! How are you doing?

> {quote:title=pktrekgirl wrote:}{quote}

> I really hate the silence during the rating screens which are shown before the film starts. I record alot from TCM, and silence makes it harder to edit recordings. The music helps you know the split second you have to hit the 'cut' button on a DVD recorder.

I have to admit this is bothersome to me, too. I've often depended on the audio "cue" when

recording as well, particularly as my recorder has this funny sort of waiting period after you

hit "record" before it actually starts recording. It makes the process a little trickier, I mean

I have to pay closer attention.

> I really hate the silence during the rating screens which are shown before the film starts. I record alot from TCM, and silence makes it harder to edit recordings. The music helps you know the split second you have to hit the 'cut' button on a DVD recorder.

I hate that silence, too. The first few times it happened I thought there was actually something wrong with the sound. It'd be great if they could add a music cue or something.

You said it. I hate to wait until the picture goes black to hit the REC button, and it's not easy to time with no audio cue. I may just end up recording the rating if it stays silent. I can edit it out later if the movie is a keeper. I have a number of movies I've already done that for from last year when I started recording films (I was always trying to make sure I got the entire film, so I started early, so as not to miss the beginning).

• 2 weeks later...

*"What is up with that silent ratings deal??? Can't TCM find some musical slice to play during that as they have always done in the past???"*

This afternoon, all of the "Ratings" screens I've seen before the films have had the musical background that was used in the previous ratings info shots - the bass guitar sounding

"dum. dum-dum. dum."

Kyle In Hollywood

--------------------------

Oohh, I had a little squirrel and his name was Pat.

I saw him in the park and caught him in my hat.

And this little critter, I'll tell you what he'd do.

He'd bring me acorns...

...and nuts to you.

*F. McGee*