Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pre-Code Films Question & Answer

whistlingypsy

Hi, I am hoping that someone might help me with two questions I have regarding pre-code films I watched yesterday.

Rio Rita (1929) and Dixiana (1929)~I noticed that both of these titles, as shown on TCM, had brief two-color sequences that acted as the film?s finale. Were these films originally filmed entirely in two-color technology, or was the two-color finale simply added to give the film an extra boost (even though the finale could not save either film)?

The Animal Kingdom (1932)~I am wondering if someone can confirm a subtle, but very specific, visual cue that I believe the costume designer used for this film. Did I imagine this or was Ann Harding, a blonde, dressed in black for the entire film, and was Myrna Loy, a brunette, dressed in white for the entire film? Myrna?s wardrobe did have one exception: she appeared to be dressed in red during the final seduction scene. Has anyone noticed this rather specific color assignment when watching this film? (I should say that these implications, if any, apply to the character and not the actress.)

> {quote:title=whistlingypsy wrote:}{quote}

> Hi, I am hoping that someone might help me with two questions I have regarding pre-code films I watched yesterday.

>

> Rio Rita (1929) and Dixiana (1929)~I noticed that both of these titles, as shown on TCM, had brief two-color sequences that acted as the films finale. Were these films originally filmed entirely in two-color technology, or was the two-color finale simply added to give the film an extra boost (even though the finale could not save either film)?

Technicolor sequences in early sound movies aren't unusual at all. The high quality of these are what's unusual. Most are in terrible shape. If those movies were all-Tech, THAT would have been most unusual, and probably would have bankrupted RKO in its first year. Tech wasn't used extensively because of the cost and the limitations of two-strip Tech. BTW, early Broadway-based musicals usually aren't what we would consider entertaining nowadays. Rio Rita was originally a '27 Ziegfeld production, and Dixiana looked stagy enough to have been a Broadway show. Early musicals are more curios than anything fun to watch, and don't expect much from them.

Archived