Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
harlowkeatongirl

A League Of Their Own

Did anyone watch last night?

I put it on timer record. I taped it years ago when it first premiered on HBO, but I lost it soon after. It was nice to get it on tape in widescreen, too. :D I scanned it this morning (to see if it actually recorded!!) and notice much more of the scene in certain parts is visible, which was cool. Like when Doris and Betty "Spaghetti" are talking on the bus... when you watch it in widescreen, you can see Kit in the scene chatting w/them, too.

I think it's very much a modern classic that really seemed to capture the early '40s well. At least I think they did, I wasn't actually there. ;) Correct me if I'm wrong '40s people. lol

A few of my favorite scenes are:

*Dottie and Jimmy giving opposing signals to Marla at the same time. :P

*The dance scene at the nightclub and Marla singing. LOL

*The black woman who throws the ball back, reminding the audience that while it was a great opportunity for white women ball players, it wasn't for minorities.

*The final game.

*Jon Lovitz' performance. :P

What do y'all think?

We all think it is a good movie as we posted on the favorite sports flix thread on "Hot Topics". I can tell you that the era of the 1940s was captured in detail and Penny Marshall did a wonderful job directing.

One of my favorite parts is the finale at the Baseball Hall of Fame where they all gathered later in life.

Even Madonna was good.

Mongo

harlowkeatongirl, I love you forever for bringing up one of my favorite movies! It's a gem, to say the least, and since this movie came out when I was I believe twelve years old, the spirit of the 1940s captured in that film (as Mongo stated) is really what made me first realize, 'Carley? You were really born in the wrong era.'

My favorite thing about it I can sum up in eight words:

"I loved you in the Wizard of Oz." :D

Carley -

I had no idea we were the exact same age. :)

Avoid The Clap,

Shyla (harlowkeatongirl)

:D

> harlowkeatongirl, I love you forever for bringing up

> one of my favorite movies! It's a gem, to say the

> least, and since this movie came out when I was I

> believe twelve years old, the spirit of the 1940s

> captured in that film (as Mongo stated) is really

> what made me first realize, 'Carley? You were really

> born in the wrong era.'

>

> My favorite thing about it I can sum up in eight

> words:

>

> "I loved you in the Wizard of Oz." :D

This is certainly one of my favorite sports films, and Penny Marshall's direction was what gave it a chance to become a Classic instead of "just another sports movie about women".

I was especially fond of the ending where the opening for the Women's Hall of Fame takes place, and also the ending ball field scenes where the original ball players have returned to play in the scenes. It always reminds me of the ending scenes in "Shindler's List" where we get to see the actual people the movie was about, and that makes it very special and unforgetable.

Because I loved Madonna's single "This Used To Be My Playground", and because I played on a baseball diamond for twelve years myself (Women's Fast Pitch), I still listen to it and take a little trip down "memory lane". There really is something about having been a ball player that gets in you and never leaves. Every bit of footage that Marshall shot with these women on a ball field is worth it's weight in gold to me, and getting this film made so that this wonderful history could be re-visited and recorded, is worth it's weight in gold to everyone who ever loved Baseball.

ML

i think the casting of the film was top-notch; what an unusual and disparate group but each is perfectly suited to her/his role. i mean, Madonna, Geena Davis, Rosie O'Donnell and Tom Hanks all making sense together in a film, who'd'a thunk it? i wish Bitty Schram would do more film work.

One of my favorite films. HK girl I agree whole-heartedly about Jon Lovitz. I LOVE it when he tells the cow, "Will you SHUT UP!!!!!???" I know it doesn't look funny in print, but I dare anyone to not break up when they see the scene. He tells KIt, that the salary would be (I forget the amount)$100 aweek. "We only make $40 at the dairy" she says... "Well then, this would be MORE."

> One of my favorite films. HK girl I agree

> whole-heartedly about Jon Lovitz. I LOVE it when he

> tells the cow, "Will you SHUT UP!!!!!???" I know it

> doesn't look funny in print, but I dare anyone to not

> break up when they see the scene. He tells KIt, that

> the salary would be (I forget the amount)$100 aweek.

> "We only make $40 at the dairy" she says... "Well

> then, this would be MORE."

****!! I know what you mean. His tone of voice is hilarious yelling at the cow. Like the damn thing help it.

Every other thing he said made me wanna crack up. I love when he brings the girls to Harvey Field and he says, "I'm just gonna go home.. grab a shower and a shave.. give the wife a little pickle tickle and I'm on my way."

:D:P:D:P

Well HK, it seems you found a favorite recent film that is a classic already. Isn't widescreen great! This was one of the first films I went out to buy when we got our DVD player cuz I just had to have it in WS. This film touches you inside from all directions. The women getting a taste of life outside the boarders of status quo. The telegrams being delivered. The Strathairn characters passion for the league and the women involved. Hank's characters finding direction. But most of all the ending with the former players (real and fictious) and that great song wrapping everything together. One of my favorites.

I love this movie too. I can't stand Rosie O'Donnell in real life, but she is hilarious in this movie - she and Madonna feed off each other very well. My favorite part was also the "Wizard of Oz" line - Tom Hanks is great at comedy, even though he's considered a "dramatic" actor.

Hey moviejoe, I look at Hanks as a comedic actor who made a very successful jump into dramatic roles. With his start in Bosom Buddies, Splash, Big, Bachalor Party, Volunteers, etc. Nothing in Common with Gleason was his first shot to show he had what it would take to do meatier roles. I may be wrong in this view.

> Hey moviejoe, I look at Hanks as a comedic actor who

> made a very successful jump into dramatic roles.

> With his start in Bosom Buddies, Splash, Big,

> Bachalor Party, Volunteers, etc. Nothing in Common

> with Gleason was his first shot to show he had what

> it would take to do meatier roles. I may be wrong in

> this view.

Yes, that's the way I've always viewed him, too. Who would've thought in the early '80s the guy from Bosom Buddies would win back-to-back Oscars for dramatic roles a decade later? :)

A confession here. I initially resisted seeing this film because I was afraid that it might be a whiney

, preachy tract about lack of opportunity along with a heavy dose of male bashing. Instead it celebrates women who DID overcome obstacles, without focusing on the barriers. In my earlier post I said that it was one of my favorite movies, without the qualifier,"sports." I can't think of a single mediocre acting performance in the film;the entire cast appears to have been inspired.I think that's why I get a strong impression of cast freindship and solidarity. Long live "Dirt in the Skirt!"

Sorry about flooding this thread but I also want to comment on HK's sub topic "The final game." What I like about it is that Kit finally get's out from under Dottie's shadowand emerges as the heroine in her own right. That she does so by overcoming her worst weakness as a ball player ("Give her the high hard one...she can't hit it and can't lay off it.")is especially touching. I also like the cliche' breaking twist of having the "home team"(I know they were playing in Racine, not Rockford)lose the game.

Wow, looks like this forum has gone into extra innings on a film that seems to be one of the rare exceptions to criticism for modern movies on TCM ? perhaps because its setting is the 1940's. It?s never been one of my favorites, although the casting deserves credit and Penny Marshall must be acknowledged for controlling the professionalism of the actors by never allowing the stars personalities to interfere with the characters they portray ? including the outstanding Jon Lovitz performance.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is not to review the film but to make its fans an offer. I have a collectible lithographed souvenir baseball that was issued as a limited promotional item at the time of the home video release. It has the ?A League of Their Own? title embossed on its center, with the female player insignia (girl catching ball over baseball diamond symbol) on the section above and the Columbia Tri-Star Home Video insignia on the section below. Around the sides are lithographed autographs of the main stars of the film, including: Tom Hanks, Geena Davis, Lori Petty, Madonna, and also director Penny Marshall. It is in new condition.

So although this film just never had any real lasting personal appeal, I guess I?ve hung onto this item because it is a rather cool, rare, collectible and maybe someday I?d meet someone that would really enjoy having it. Well, I thought that day had probably passed until bumping into this crowd. Look, I?m not trying to jack anyone around (if I was really looking to make money I?d hassle with ebay), I?m just thinking that after reading some of the passionate posts here there?s probably a better, more appreciative home for this item. I?m not a vendor and I?m not trying to violate this forum with advertising. If you?re interested, leave a reply (my address is listed). I?d really love to trade it with someone who has any items related to silent films with which they?re willing to part (books, pictures, video ? although I have most of these).