Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Moviemaking Era

Mine is the late thirties-forties...by then the mannered acting of the 20's and 30's had been eclypsed by a more realistic and modern approach. Some of the greatest actors ever were all living and working in Hollywood, technicolor was no longer experimental and a great deal of time and talent was devoted to presenting realism (WW11) in convincing and compelling dramas (despite the Hayes office dictates). Music became an important element in film making, with greats like Waxman, Steiner, Rosza and Korngold establishing their permanent place in the process. I think the high water mark of film making was reached during that time, and has contin ued to influence filmakers to this day.

Hollywood films never were, and never will be, realistic. It's not their purpose, and the folks who make them have no skill at it, even if it was what they wished to achieve. Just because post-World War II films tackled subjects more a bit more forthrightly doesn't mean the techniques used to tell those stories were any more "realistic" than those employed by the films that preceded them.

If you want real realism, take a look at Italian Neorealist films from the early 'forties to around 1950.

My favorite era is 1929-41. It's fascinating watching the movies learn how to talk -- to some extent it's a reinvention of film. I also enjoy the pre-Code era and seeing how writers, actors and studios adjust after the Code was strictly enforced in mid-1934.

My favorite era is the early talkie period and pre-codes, where all bets were off!!! While visually it's not the best era for films, in terms of content it's all over the place, free-form, no holds barred!!! I would agree with the poster who said 1929-1941, though, that sounds about right, cos I love many of the films from the middle 30's onto the early 40's too! Great stuff!!!

I would say that my favorite time period would be about 1925 through the mid 50s. Lots of excellent films made in the "late silent" period (1927-1929), by 1932 films regained their stride from their wobbly talkie beginnings and by the late 40's noir was taking root and in the early 50s films were becoming even more socially aware. All in all, lots of interesting stuff to watch from that time period.

Maybe this corelation will explain what I mean by "realistic"...1947's CROSSFIRE (although it was changed from anti-homosexual to anti-semitic) as opposed to early thirties films like FURY.

Both were gritty, but the later one was theatrical and stagey whereas the former one was more accessible and realistic. I'm not claiming they weren't written, edited and presented as film entertainment, not as a newsreel, I'm saying that the ten years between the two films I've presented as examples, involved a great deal of advancement in storytelling. I think that advancement is still evident today.

I don't think there were any "advancements" in storytelling once talking films finally shed their reliance on superimposed inter-titles -- a vestige of silent films -- to convey exposition, and learned how dialogue can best do that, something largely accomplished by 1940; in the eleven years between the two films the writing and acting got a bit more subtle, but that's about it.

Most of my favorites fall between *the early 'thirties to the early 'sixties*, with this peculiarity:

I will watch almost anything made in the 1930s, without even bothering about who stars in it

or who directed it or what it's about. However, from the 1950s on I become more selective and

will more likely watch if I like the people involved or the story is strong enough.

I would have to say 1929 to 1949 was the best era of movie making. The 30's and 40's gave us so many classic films. Thde 50's and 60 were great in their own right but lots of stupid low budget horror movies were made. The 70's i when the movies really started to get great once again and then the 80's cam along with many wonderful films but the too many teeny bopper films were made as well into the 90's. The 2000's so far have had many hits bit so many bad ones. The early years will always be genuines hollywood though. Made in Hollywood in studio backlots and stars who were stars. They worked hard for little money and made more films a year.