Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JANUARY LISTINGS ARE UP!!!

The January 2009 schedule looks great especially the Private Screening with Ernest Borgnine and Jack Lemmon as SOTM. My only quibble is I wish that instead of a few of Jack`s lesser comedies, Day`s Of Wine And Rose`s, "Missing", and Glengarry Glen Ross could have been shown instead. I noticed that Joseph Cotten`s fine performance in Niagara will be shown in January instead of December when he is SOTM.

I did some research and the serial being shown in chapters on Saturdays through the month is "Zorro Rides Again", one of the fun serials that inspired "Raiders of the Lost Ark." There is a moment in that is a direct steal from ZRA, where Zorro rides to the top of a hill on a horse and stops and the camera does a closeup. In Raiders, Indiana Jones rides up on a hill and it is the same closeup.

The TCM Spotlight for the Month is New York vs. Los Angeles.

The two silent films on January 2nd, "Within Our Gates" and "Symbol of the Unconquered" look interesting, both early films dealing with battling racism.

I haven't seen "Takes of Hoffman" in decades, so it will be good to catch it again.

Oh, and they have "The Magic Box," a British entry about how one of their inventors may have beat Edison to making the motion picture camera, not Edison. Worth catching!

A night of Jean Harlow, and one of Ernest Borgnine, a day of Maisie, and lots of premieres, including "The Great White Hope" and "Silverado"!

A great start for 2009!

Message was edited by: filmlover

Hi Film Fatale, Yes, "Niagara" is a Fox film. Marilyn Monroe garnered most of the attention when the film was released, but Joseph Cotten gives a fine performance as her neurotic husband Location filming was done in Niagara Falls, NY. and Ont. in the summer of 1952.