Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Bambi" named "Best Tear-Jerking movie"!!!

*London (ANI): Walt Disney's animated classic _Bambi_ has been named the ' _best tear-jerking movie of all time_ ', according to a poll. The 'Pearl and Dean' poll showed that the story of the young deer whose mother is shot by hunters still continues to move generations of fans, young and old, since its release in 1942, reports the Daily Star.*

*Classic romance _Ghost_, starring Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore came second, followed by another animated Disney film, The Lion King at the third position, sharing its title with Steven Spielberg"s 'ET'. Dominating the fifth spot was _Titanic_, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet.*

*Top 10 movie tearjerkers all time are:*

*1. Bambi (1942)*

*2. Ghost (1990)*

*3. The Lion King (1994)*

*3. E.T. (1982)*

*5. Titanic (1997)*

*6. Beaches (1998)*

*7. Philadelphia (1993)*

*8. Watership Down (1978)*

*9. Boys Don't Cry (1999)*

*10. Steel Magnolias (1989)*

Tuesday, October 14 2008

Oneindia, India

Yeah, I'd say that list is WAY off.

There are so many movies that make me cry no matter how many times I've seen it. I've stated before, I simply can't watch the end of Imitation of Life anymore, I tune out in the last 15 minutes, I know the effective acting.

Yes, Bambi makes me cry too, but not at his mother's death....but at the "rain" scene, the "ice" scene, those parts make me cry because of their beauty and celebration of life itself.

Well, I remember " Bambi " being very sad as a kid. Then again, so was " Dumbo ".

I cry at the end of " Pride Of The Yankees ", but you have Babe Ruth out there with Cooper and that Lou Gehrig speech and his wife crying and him fading away into the tunnel as he faded away in real life. " Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth ". That gets me every time.

..but as Al Pacino walks into the hall to help the prep school kid, that gets me.

...the end of Ghost gets me, but so does the same ending years earlier in " Carousal " as the dead father attends the daughters graduation and those important words before he also climbs into heaven to the song " You'll Never Walk Alone ". " The Jokers Wild " as Sinatra comes face to face with himself in the mirror ( window ). I think there are tears as Borgnine and Betty Davis finally come together after years of indifference and he smiles as she tells him he gets his cab after all. I think it is sad in ' Million Dollar Baby " at the hospital, or as Forrest Gump speaks to the graves of his mom and his wife Jenny near the end and leaves his sons letter on the grave. I find Bergman as the nun saying good bye to Crosbys Father O'Malley more of a tear jerker than Casablancas ending. I find Spencer Tracy with nothing for Christmas for Boys Town very sad. Or an old Spencer Tracy telling Katherine Hepburn that he loves her at the end of " Guess Whos Coming To Dinner ". I even find Jimmy Durante saying good night to Misses Calibash sad as he disappears into the spotlights. Or Ralph Cramden having to tell Alice that all he ever wanted to do was get her a few things for a change instead of being poor, and thats why he blew another get rich quick plan. ....or how about the end of Chaplins " Modern Times " as the song SMILE plays as the girl crys and Chaplin says to smile, but as they walk away down the road in the Great Depression, it is bleak in spite of Chaplin trying to raise her spirits. Or even the end of the Chaplin movie where the girl discovers that the tramp she has been laughing at is indeed the person who worked to pay for her eye operation and end her blindness. Or, she got sight, but now she really sees.

...I think " Its A Wonderful Life " can bring a tear to your eye at the end if you're human at all.

They seem to be coming up with alot of lists these days, and that doesn't mean they are acurate. Such as its very easy to say the best movie ever was " Citizen Kane " and it's a very good movie that critics won't bash you for liking. ...but is it the best ever, is it really ??? I think thats hard to say considering all the great movies. I could think of great movies that never make any of these lists. So could you......and I think alot of us could cry over the price to take the family to the movies today and the price for popcorn and drinks. It's enough to make you cry. ...

So if beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, so are the tears.

Message was edited by: WhyaDuck

Atticus Finch leaving the courtroom.

Miss Jean Louise meeting Mr.Arthur Radley

Nathan Brittles opening his "shiny, new" watch engraved with "Lest We Forget"

Hallie Stoddard clutching the cactus rose and remembering the *Man Who Shot Liberty Valence*

The "mad elephant" scene in *Dumbo*

And almost all of *Old Yeller*

Message was edited by: lzcutter

I dunno who "Pearl and Dean" are (who conducted this poll), and I can't be bothered to Google them to find out. What a misguided list they came up with.

Of their choices, only *Bambi* and *Philadelphia* work for me as a genuine tear-jerker --- a movie that can manipulate me, willingly, into crying a little at the end.

As Scottman and others say, excluding *Yeller* is ridiculous. That movie is so upsetting that I can't watch a single minute of it. Seriously, the king of the tear-jerker (and it makes me so distressed I genuinely cannot watch it).

It's all subjective. I don't tear up from 80's/90's schmaltz like *Beaches* or *Moonstruck* or *Steel Magnolias* or *Ghost* (or God help us, *Titanic* ) --- in fact, I kind of snicker at a couple of them --- but I inevitably cry at the end of *Sleepless in Seattle.*

I'll join WhyaDuck in the *It's a Wonderful Life* line, too.

*Bambi* is the only film on that list with which I agree. Maybe *Philadelphia*, but the rest? The exclusion of *Old Yeller* and *All Mine to Give* is completely preposterous. Actually, the saddest film I ever saw was a television film called *Who Will Love My Children?* Nothing else even comes close.

*WhyaDuck*:

Your post is interesting, very well-informed, and lists excellent examples. I would like to add just a few more scenes that always constrict my throat when I view them:

Nickie Ferrante seeing the painting in Terry McKay?s bedroom.

Sir Charles Rainier saying: "Never mind - there's a little tobacconist just around the corner."

Lazlo speaking to the orchestra: ?Play the Marseillaise! Play it!?

Princess Ann replying:"Rome! By all means, Rome"

--Gus Cerini

*...and (to paraphrase an earlier post), if you don't cry at the end of *Love, Actually* you aren't human.*

Chip,

I thought I was the only one! The last twenty minutes of this movie when the love stories get resolved always find me in a puddle of tears.

I could go on but it would require an entire spoiler section.

Suffice it say, it caused one of the best laughs I had while watching *Mamma Mia* earlier this summer.

Lynn,

I didn't see *Mamma Mia*, but based on your statement I await its appearance on cable.

I also thought of another, the 2004 Japanese movie *Nobody Knows* ( *Dare Mo Shiranai* ). It's the story, based on a real-life occurance, of a mother who abandons her four children. The summary from IMDB is below.

It's absolutely searing. It was barely released in the US (I'm lucky to live in NYC, and got to see it in the theatre), but I noticed it has been cropping up on IFC or Sundance, one or the other). I absolutely recommend finding it on DVD or cable, it was the best movie I saw that year.

Remember, based on a true story. From IMDB:

Four siblings live happily with their mother in a small apartment in Tokyo. The children all have different fathers and have never been to school. The very existence of three of them has been hidden from the landlord. One day, the mother leaves behind a little money and a note, charging her oldest boy to look after the others. And so begins the children's odyssey, a journey nobody knows. Though engulfed by the cruel fate of abandonment, the four children do their best to survive in their own little world, devising and following their own set of rules. When they are forced to engage with the world outside their cocooned universe, the fragile balance that has sustained them collapses. Their innocent longing for their mother, their wary fascination toward the outside world, their anxiety over their increasingly desperate situation, their inarticulate cries, their kindness to each other, their determination to survive on wits and courage.

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies. Damn Plain Text!

How could anyone not mention *Brian's Song*, that movie still makes me cry and I know what is going to happen.

I watched House last night and he mentioned the movie in a way to bring out tears in a patient who couldn't produce tears. In his usual House way.

That's when I realized that *Brian's Song* is not on the list.

Not a movie but a nice compact cartoon poem. The TV cartoon version of How The Grinch Stole Christmas

He hadn't stopped Christmas from coming, it came

It came just the same

It came without ribbons, it came without tags

it came without presents and boxes and bags

Then the old Grinch thought of something he never thought before

Perhaps Christmas doesn't come from a store

Perhaps Christmas means just a little bit more

and all the people of Whoville say

That the Grinches heart grew three sizes that day

Christmas Day is in our grasp

as long as we have hands to clasp

The simple message of this always tears me up. Its just done so well at the end of this. The long movie to me ruins the whole idea and simple message of the shorter, older and better version with Karloff the narrator.