Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guess who's NOT coming to dinner?

Guest mongo

Here is the inevitable sequel to a recent topic. Although dynamic and admirable on the screen what celebrity (living or dead) would most likely be a dull and boring dinner guest?

I think Orsen Wells would be so boring. His attitude on screen seems arrogant and a know it all. I have also seen and read about his aggressive behavior. Sorry but he would be a dud.

Guest son, jery

Don't invite me to the same din-din with Nelson Eddy or Louise Brooks. Eddy was such a pompous a___. Louise became such a snotty b(witch). My best friend met her once. He had always loved her. He left hating her.

Guest Ross, Scott

I'm sorry to disagree, but Orson Welles would have been great company. (Listen sometime to the tapes Peter Bogdanovich made of their conversations.) But while Orson would be my pick for best dinner companion, I didn't post this to criticize someone else's choice. Thus: Fred Astaire is my personal pick for most boring celebrity, at the dinner table or away from it. He poured all his astounding creativity and wit into his dances, not into life; off-screen he was dull as a post. In any event, no one ever accused him of being a great conversationalist.

Guest K, Sandy

Hmmm...I have to say that I think that Orson Welles would be a good dinner guest as well as Fred Astaire. Fred has such a long history in show biz that I bet he would have some good stories. He seemed very well-liked by all his co-stars. I also think that Kate, Lucy and Bette would be fun because they're intelligent, strong and opinionated. Seems like a lively bunch to me. Ok, I hate to be negative but, I would not want to have dinner with Busby Berkeley. I've heard that he was very mean to people. He also had a drinking problem and nothing ruins a party faster than a mean drunk.

Guest K, Sandy

Ok, I just read on one of the other boards about Jennifer Jones' shameful behavior during the filming of SINCE YOU WENT AWAY. Anyone who bursts into tears all the time to get attention is a Bore with a capital B. So Jennifer and Busby will have to cry into their beer together about not being invited to dinner!

That's just it! I don't feel up to having strong and opinionated dinner guest. Bring on Mae, Errol and Tallulah for a fun evening around the dinner table. Perhaps Dietrich will stop by and make us all some chicken soup and as rumor has it she will probably even do the dishes. Bon appe'tite.

Guest D., Carol

When Jennifer Jones was making Since You Went Away, her marriage to the actor Robert Walker was breaking up, so that may be why she bursted into tears so much.

Guest (GingerRogers25), Josie

I forgot his real name, but Ashley from Gone with the Wind. God, I'd hate to have HIM. The girl I wouldn't want would be Grace Kelly. She would be a great guest, but I would be tearing out her hair. Queen of Hollywood AND Monoco. God.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest son, jery

Can you imagine anything more hellish than being sitted between the two biggest egomaniacs in HOllywood: Al Jolson and Laurence Olivier? Jolson was so overbearing that his wife, Ruby Keeler, once told a reporter: "Al is the greatest entertainer in the world. At least, that's what he tells me everyday." Olivier was also incredibly petty and vain. That's why he hated his wife, Vivien Leigh, so much, especially after she became a legendary star with Gone With the Wind. His movie, Wuthering Heights, released at the same time, did nothing compared to GWTW. He also hated Americans.

Guest Hudson, Jane

Jennifer Jones was romantically involved with her future husband, David O. Selznik, while filming SINCE YOU WENT AWAY with her estranged spouse, Robert Walker. While it must have been difficult for her to do the tender scenes with him, I think it was Mr. Walker who suffered more as a result of Selznik's machinations.

Your right Sandy. If I recall Miss Gingold was very witty on the TV talk show circuits (Jack Paar, Merv Griffin etc). She had a style all her own when telling a story and the words would roll off her tongue ever so slowly. She was also always dressed to the nines. A funny lady indeed.

Guest son, jery

Esther Williams. I'd be afraid she would go on and on and on about Jeff Chandler's cross-dressing. She goes on ad nauseum in her memoir about poor Jeff wearing dresses. She was really vicious about him and then she bragged--as if she had said something funny--"but Jeff, you don't look good in polka dot dresses!" Ha, ha.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest cooper, jeane

Well my dears - life is not always a picnic and it is surely being proven here tonight!. Once again the cool summer nights beg for al fresco dining by the pool. This evening we are at Randolph Heart's spectacular San Simeon for a pot luck dinner. Too bad the over abundance of hot air, expelled by both Georgie Jessell and Louis B Mayer, are curdling the sour cream sauce of Garbo's Swedish meatballs. Busby Berkley just arrived with his specialty "stewed tomatoes". Tomatoes don't appear to be the only thing fermented this evening. Break out the Bromo Selzer! Here comes Al Jolson with his humble pie. He brings it everywhere. But somehow trying to swallow it is as tough as Al trying to serve it. I understand Jack Warner keeps asking for the recipe. Good luck Jack! Thank goodness Mary Astor has arrived with her ice box cake. The iciness is all Mary. Here comes Errol Flynn, with nothing except himself. He must believe all the PR - that he truly is good enough to eat. Yoo hoo - Errol darling - next time - pick up a canned ham. Must run dearies - Al is fast approaching with the pie, and my digestive tablets are in the car.