Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guess who's NOT coming to dinner?

Guest mongo

Guest mongo

Hilarious stuff jeane. It's like reading a report from the heyday of Hollywood by Louella Parsons. Of course todays reporter Cindy Adams uses the "my dears" in her adequate gossip columes and can't compare with the Louella's, Hedda's and jeane's of yesteryear.

Guest cooper, jeane

You are sweet, Mongo, for the comparison. Wish I could do it full -time. I have some of my grandmothers' old hats of the 30's - 50's. Perhaps next time I shall attire myself in one of them while writing! None of them are as flamboyant as Hedda's, but I could balance it out by adding my neighbor's flaming red azala!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cooper, jeane

Dull with a capitol "D" is the kindest description for this July 4th beach party. Even the stone crabs on the grill are having more fun! And keeping to the adage that you are what what you eat - Sonja Heine is the crabbiest of all. Best stick to ice instead of sand - dearie! Just as grating as sand in a wet bathing suit is Rudy Vallee. Oh bother, he has brought his megaphone. He had it specially waterproofed for tonight's event! His time is not my time, but he is definately trying to make some time with Sonje. Maybe what they say about he and his voice really is true! Erich Von Stroheim is standing over the fire, looking miserable and stirring a pot of his cooked cabbage. Gives a double meaning to the term "sauerkraut" My dears -what has just washed up on the beach? Nothing less than Harry Cohn. The man has more arms than an octupus, and he's just as inky. He wants someone to play beach ball with him. So as my stomach,like the tide, turns I bid you a fond - albeit- fast "adieu"!

Guest son, jery

For July 4th, I received an invitation I can't possibly turn down: Ashley Wilkes wants me to attend his barbecue at Twelve Oaks. He promises me that Scarlett O'Hara will be there, along with those yummy Tarleton Twins! To heck with Scarlett. I want those twins! So, until many a moon from now, I hope you keep this in mind: "Don't think about it now. For, Tomorrow is another Day!"

• 1 month later...
Guest n, sandra

The most boring dinner guests? Ruby Keeler, Doris Day and June Allyson. I'd have to get them all drunk and teach them how to swear.

Guest Zolkov, Bob

I'm in agreement with your assessment of Ruby Keeler and June Allyson. However, I've always felt that Doris Day had a mischievous twinkle lurking just below the surface of that all American girl facade.

Guest Bamberger, Chris

While I adore Fred Astaire's screen persona, I agree with you, Scott. Astaire absolutely hated to talk about the past, and had no interest in classic film. He didn't read much. I don't know a lot about horse racing or golf, so I guess all we'd have to talk about would be jazz. Now, dinner with Guy Holden (the character he plays in his first big hit with Ginger Rogers) would be another story! Night and day, you are the one...

Guest Bamberger, Chris

Right you are, Bob. Check out some of her late '40s recordings like "Sooner or Later" or "A Chocolate Sundae on a Saturday Night." She was pretty saucy before she got her haircut!

Guest K, Sandy

I read Doris Day's autobiography years ago, and from what I remember, she wasn't as innocent as her screen persona. As for June Allyson, I'd love to sit next to her and get the scoop on her torrid affair with Dean Martin!

Guest finnie12, moira

Hi Chris and Sandy, I also think Doris Day had more going on than she may have expressed on screen, especially since some of her contemporaries waxed rhapsodic about her. For example, in his autobiography, James Cagney mentioned that he thought that she had great potential as an actress and he lamented her becoming typecast in more trivial roles, (though for their time, entertaining to someone, I guess!). Her performance in "Love Me or Leave Me"(1955) with Cagney certainly suggested a complex, sexually mature persona and it highlighted her remarkable singing ability... Her earlier performance with Frank Sinatra in "Young at Heart"(1954) also gave her a chance to show something more than the perkiness (Lover Come Back, Send Me No Flowers,etc) or the hysteria (Julie, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Midnight Lace,etc.)that often characterized her roles. Besides, think of all the other talented people she worked with who could be dinner topics--Hitchcock, Ethel Barrymore, Dennis Morgan,(, though he was kinda cute?) Actually, I've always loved her bittersweet, rueful recording of "Sentimental Journey" and Oscar Levant's remark that he knew her "before she was a virgin"...at least I think it was he,(Correct me if I'm wrong, please!). ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The first person who comes to mind as a boring dinner companion to me would be Shelley Winters. A "lady" or "gentleman" who kisses and tells a bit too eagerly puts me off, though I'm hardly a prude...I guess that makes me a bit "old school", but even the dead deserve some privacy at times and I'm more than a little suspicious of people who need to brag...

Guest son, jery

Moira, I had the identical reaction to Shelly Winters endless, shameless, fabricated memoirs. She didn't have enough room in volume one for all of her adventures so she made the poor publisher put out yet a second volume. Although I'm a big Winters fan, I was thoroughly repulsed by her manic blabbering of all of her sexual adventures. I think about the only Hollywood males she missed were Lassie, Rin Tin Tin and Willy the Whale-with whom she has so much in common.

Guest finnie12, moira

Jery, I guess I'm not the only one, eh? I don't care about the lady's size, or Lassie and Rin-Tin-Tin, but why couldn't she just talk about those two hound dogs she married, and leave the rest of the guys in peace? By contrast, I'm reminded of a rude interviewer who once asked Maureen O'Hara if she and John Wayne were ever involved--all she did was smile. Thanks for the smile of recognition, jery ( :

Guest finnie12, moira

Oops-I forgot that Ms. Winters was also hitched to a "civilian" (a non-show biz type in the armed forces around WWII)...one of the few fellas she had a kind word for...or maybe her publisher's attorneys knew that he had a potential lawsuit since he was a private citizen...

• 1 month later...

Okay, everyone is going to hate me for this, but I'd have to proclaim Clark Gable as a boring, as well as creepy and annoying dinner guest. I'm sorry, but the man had little talent; his acting was quite stiff/unemotional. And according to many people, including Vivien Leigh, he smelled horrible because of his false teeth...ugh. The only reason I put up with him is because he had fabulous leading ladies.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest son, jery

()if this isn't fate I don't know what is. Katherine Hepburn drives me nuts!She never played anything but herself. Giggly, high, drawly voice. Bogart was so borrrring. I've never understood this "Bogie" cult following. Physically, this guy did nothing to make my baser impulses go ga-ga. Clark Gable was a cutie in some of his flicks but one of the most depressing sights in the world was to watch him in "Band of Angels," l950 with Yvonne De Carlo. This was a horrendous attempt to make him redo his Rhett Butler role. What a downer. He was pudgy, paunchy, and old. Sorry, to all Clark Gable fans. Dont' throw too may tomatoes. But I just wish all those great stars had done a Garbo: leave while at the top.

Guest Lyndsey

Sure, there's plenty of room here, jery son. Clark Gable was horrid in BAND OF ANGELS, wasn't he? He was alright in THE MISFITS, but his looks got even worse than in 1950 (obviously--aging process). Yes, wouldn't the world have been a lot better if most of the fabulous stars would have left when they were at the height of their popularity? I should think so. But you've got to admit, some of their later, campy films (such as Joan Crawford's last film TROG) are such a joy to watch! Bring out the popcorn!

Now your talkin Lyndsey! I love TROG, Olivia DeHavilland in LADY IN A CAGE, Bette Davis in HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE, and last but certainly not least Bette, and Joan together in that ultimate cult-classic WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE. Oh I almost forgot Ray Milland & Rosey Grier in THE INCREDIBLE TWO-HEADED TRANSPLANT! I'll bring the soda pop!

• 1 month later...