Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

EDIE ADAMS HAS DIED

Guest dredagain

This is very sad news. Adams was great in both THE APARTMENT and LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER. I mentioned before that composer Elmer Bernstein had written a special musical number for Adams to perform in the latter film. Unfortunately that number landed on the cutting room floor making her footage much shorter in the film. I always felt Adams was very underrated as a performer who was equally adept at doing stage, film, nighclubs and TV work. I'm glad I got to meet her when I was collecting autographs in the 90s. She always had a smile on her face.

Just heard this. I didnt know she was a Juilliard graduate and aspiring opera singer. Will wonders ever cease! Amazing.........She did have some great bits in movies. She was a riot in Lover, Come Back. I vaguely remember her from the Ernie Kovacs show, but I was too little to remember much from back then..........I DO remember the Cigar commercials! LOL.

Message was edited by: Hibi

Edie Adams played the Fairy Godmother to Julie Andrews "Cinderella" in the original television production in the Fifties. I saw it on PBS a few years back and is available on DVD. Adams was wonderful.

One should definitely give it a look if one likes Rodgers & Hammerstein - or even if one is interested in live television.

Kyle In Hollywood

*Actress Edie Adams, Ernie Kovacs' widow, dead at 81*

Los Angeles Times

October 17, 2008

LOS ANGELES - Edie Adams, the Tony award-winning actress and singer who was perhaps best known to a generation of television viewers as the seductive commercial spokeswoman for Muriel Cigars, has died. She was 81.

Adams, the widow of legendary comedian Ernie Kovacs, died Wednesday at West Hills Hospital in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley of complications from pneumonia and cancer, according to her son Josh Mills.

The sultry redhead (and sometimes blonde) won a Tony in 1956 for her portrayal of Daisy Mae in the musical version of Al Capp's cartoon "Li'l Abner" and was an accomplished film actress. Her credits included "The Apartment" with Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine and Fred MacMurray; "Lover Come Back" with Doris Day and Rock Hudson; "The Best Man" with Cliff Robertson; and "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World," the Stanley Kramer production with a who's who of outstanding comedians and comedic actors.

But it was the seductive line as a spokeswoman for Muriel Cigars - "Why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime?" - from the late 1950s that brought her lasting fame.

Adams studied singing and piano at the Juilliard School in New York. Doors opened for her after she was booked on Arthur Godfrey's "Talent Scouts." Although she lost the competition, a television director who was watching the show liked what he saw and signed her in July 1951 to become the featured singer on a show originating from Philadelphia that starred Kovacs.

Unrehearsed and uninhibited, the Kovacs show was live television at its best and most unpredictable. It soon moved to New York to become a morning show for CBS called "Kovacs Unlimited." Adams sang and acted as the straight man for Kovacs.

A few years later, she was billed as Edith Adams and played Daisy Mae in the Johnny Mercer/Gene de Paul musical "Li'l Abner," that also featured Stubby Kaye and Julie Newmar. It became a great commercial hit on Broadway.

Kovacs and Adams eloped to Mexico City and married in 1954. He died in an auto accident in Los Angeles in 1962.

Adams eventually married photographer Martin Mills and had a son. That marriage ended in divorce as did her third marriage, to jazz trumpeter Pete Candoli, who died in January.

Her daughter Mia Kovacs died in an automobile accident in 1982, also in Los Angeles

edie1-sized.jpg

Thanks Brendan and Sarah for those links! I'll never forget Edie singing "That's All" on that Lucy episode. The last time I saw it was on TVLand some time ago and thought how lovely a rendition, just mesmerized me. And that darling piece from Cinderella!!!

Wasn't she always great? Barbara of Seville in Proper Stranger, perfect performance as well as The Apartment. We never saw enough of her...

Elegant, immensely talented Edie. RIP.

So sorry to hear about the death of Edie Adams. She was certainly a beautiful and versatile entertainer whom I especially liked.

I was lucky to see Miss Adams in person in 1979. It was at the High Point, North Carolina furniture market. She was appearing at the third annual

Milliken luncheon show.

Of Course the lady pulled out all stops as she danced, sang and performed fabulous impersonations. It was indeed a treat.

May she rest in peace.

Wow, this very sad! I really like her, and although she never really got the top billing she deserved, she was excellent in supporting roles!

I've had *"Lover Come Back"* held for me at my library for some time now, but I had never checked it out (I have seen it before, but it is my least favorite of the three Doris/Rock's). Well, on Friday I finally checked it out just for fun...and then I find out she died! It was truly sad!