Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
msladysoul

Who's so Over-Rated!

i'd forgotten Tony Curtis's other films; he was good in Houdini and Sweet Smell of Success as that agent, and Operation Petticoat was good fun. re:Spartacus, it was a hoot last year when they showed the "lost" sceme in the bath with the badly re-recorded dialogue.

i agree with Cliff Robertson; the fact that he was married to VAST wealth probably explains his career.

another actor i really think is way-overrated is Robert Redford.

I have to agree about James Dean - he was good in "Giant" but I couldn't stand him in "Rebel Without a Cause."

And about Tony Curtis - I have to agree that he was very good in "Sweet Smell of Success" and "Rat Race" - Debbie Reynolds was exceptionally good in that too. Hopefully TCM will show "Rat Race" someday. Last time I saw it, it was on one of the pay movie stations, like Starz, and it was on in the afternoon of course.

And I agree about Robert Redford - he can't act, and his good looks and charm are totally lost on me. In fact, I think women like him more, because aside from his looks he doesn't have much to offer.

Sometimes I think Judy Garland is over-rated. I enjoy her, she's a great entertainer and actress, she could do it all but people seem to forget the other sirens of the time like Frances Langford, Carole Landis, Betty Grable, Ann Sheridan, Alice Faye, Carmen Miranda, Martha Raye, Marilyn Maxwell, and Betty Hutton who could belt tunes as well and were musical favorites of the 1940s.

Joan Crawford to me is over-rated in some ways. What kept her name was alive was that Mommie Dearest incident, so that's drawing people to her movies and wanting to know who she is.

Katharine Hepburn is over-rated to me, what is it about her. Yes, she has a very distinctive voice and is a natural but she never wowed me, the same with Bette Davis.

The reason why Joan Crawford and Bette Davis are so loved is because of how campy they are. But were they the best actresses of their time? That could be debated but I still love them.