Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And the Real Winnah is...!

Guest son, jery

Guest son, jery

Forget the Oscars. What actor or actress gave a performance that you've never forgotten? Let's create the TCM Awards. My nomination for the TCM Best Actress Award goes to Ida Lupino whose scalding performance as the sex-crazed psycho in the l940 "They Drive By Night". If you've never seen that final scene of Lupino going crazy on the witness stand--"The doors made me do it!"--you've missed a fabulous movie experience. What are your TCM Award winners? Think Clara Bow, Garbo, Deanna Durbin,Ramon Navarro, etc.

Guest Ross, Scott

Jack Lemmon as Joe Clay in "Days of Wine and Roses." Two moments: 1.) the sequence in which he destroys his father-in-law's greenhouse, searching desperately for the bottle of scotch he's hidden in one of the pots and 2.) the drunk tank scene, when he's held down by several burly orderlies and given a sedative. Blake Edwards says filming that sequence was the only time he's ever seen an actor give more than 100 per cent to a scene, and you can see it in the film. This goes beyond acting, into some other realm most performers would be too frightened to touch, let alone expose for an audience of millions. If Lemmon's reactions don't first horrify you and then break your heart, you may not have a heart to break.

Guest walker, ken

Spencer Tracy and Fredric March get my vote for "Inherit the Wind".Every aspect,from acting to directing and everything in between,is superb. Its a joy to watch two masters at work!!!

I'll grant you that Ida Lupino was terrific in "They Drive By Night" however she was even better in "The Hard Way". She received the New York Film Critics Award for that performance however she was NEVER nominated for an Oscar. Can you believe that? Also Humphrey Bogart for his fine performance in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" is notable and Tallulah Bankhead for Hitchcock's "Lifeboat".

• 2 weeks later...
Guest (GingerRogers25), Josie

Go Gregory Firth! I want Gregory for To Kill a mockingbird. The part when he stands up to the crowd and the court scene!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest Ray, Johnny

Right on Ken! Tracy and March are so dead on in Inherit the Wind that it is almost frightening! I would nominate: John Garfield in The Postman Always Rings Twice William Powell and Myrna Loy in the Thin Man Betty Hutton in the Miracle of Morgan's Creek And one of my sentimental favorites, Carole Lombard in Nothing's Sacred

• 3 weeks later...
Guest son, jery

I've always thought Bette Davis should have shared a double-oscar in l939 with Vivien Leigh. Both gals were fantastic but as we movie buffs know now, l939 was a spectacular year for movies and stars. Bette made 4 classics in that one year alone, but "Dark Victory" is the one we'll all be watching l00 years from now. And the great Vivien as Scarlett! What a phenomenal talent! Her husband, Laurence Olivier, was insanely jealous of her Oscar for GWTW because he got nothing for making "Wuthering Heights" the same year. He had bragged to everyone that he was certain to win.

Guest mongo

Indeed 1939 was a spectacular year for movie classics. And I was always disappointed that Gable didn't win for his Rhett Butler in GWTW. I believe Bette Davis should have won for her cold calculating performance in "The Letter" (1940). I believe Ginger Rogers won for "Kitty Foyle". There should have been a tie in 1950 with Davis for "All About Eve" and Gloria Swanson for "Sunset Boulevard". They were both terrific. Yet again so was Eleanor Parker for her role in "Caged". Three way tie?

Guest son, jery

Mongo, you're so right about that other fabulous movie year: l950. Judy Holliday was okay as "Born Yesterday" but she was nothing compared to the great Swanson, Davis and Parker performances. No one today even knows the name of Judy Holliday except die-hard fans. If I were to vote today, I would definitely vote for Swanson. Not just for "Sunset Boulevard" but for her incredible screen career.

• 1 month later...
Guest Griffin, Mark

TINA! BRING ME THE...OSCAR! There's no question that Miss Faye Dunaway deserved a Best Actress Oscar nomination for her startling, complex portrayal of Miss Joan Crawford in "Mommie Dearest" (Paramount, 1981). The only reason she was passed over is because the more sensationalistic aspects of Frank Perry's well made film were exploited and several sensitive key scenes were cut from the release print of the film. Wire hangers aside, Faye was hypnotically ferocious and sad in this bravura turn. That gold guy should have been yours, honey.

Guest cooper, jeane

Judy Garland was robbed by Grace Kelly in 1954! Garland's exhuberant, caring and mournful performance as Esther Blodgett/Vicki Lester in "A Star is Born" far outweighed Grace Kelly's simpering act in "The Country Girl"

Guest mongo

The beautiful Grace Kelly as the dowdy repressed wife of alcoholic Bing Crosby gave an impressive performance in "The Country Girl". It should have been a tie.

Guest son, jery

Ginger Rogers robbed the other actresses in l940 (I think, or maybe it was '41) when she received her Oscar for "Kitty Foyle." I've watched this movie several times and can't see anything Oscar winning about it. Ginger was terrific--but nothing like Bette Davis in "The letter" and "Now, Voyager". Same thing with this year's Oscars. I saw "Monster Ball." Halle Berry was okay but Nicole Kidman was a million times better in "Moulin Rouge."

Guest mongo

jery son I agree with you 100% regarding the Oscar that went to Ginger Rogers. Bette Davis was magnificent as Leslie Crosby in "The Letter" perhaps her best performance. It may have had something to do with her two prior Oscar wins. You know...give someone else a chance to win. Too bad cause she was gypped.

Guest cooper, jeane

Jery Son and Mongo - you two would know this. During the studio system heyday - did they campaign as hard as they do currently for Oscars? Were some stars pushed more than other from the publicity department to be upfront in the Academy member's minds? It would seem a bit incestous.

Guest son, jery

oh, boy, did they ever! Each studio demanded its members of the ACademy Award group to vote just for that studio's product. Thankfully, most voted for what they thought were the best. But the hype back then was minimal compared to the overkill today. I remember when Oprah Winfrey personally spent millions of her own money to flog that hideous "Beloved" with her as Best Actress--and thank God it backfired.

Guest cooper, jeane

Thanks for your knowledge. I always get so mad when I see the waste of money being spent annually on Oscar winner wannabees. Especially when arts programs in schools nation-wide are being cut. Think of the better use of the funds to expose future generations, and perhaps develop an outstanding talent or two. Okay I'm climbing off my soapbox now - its windy and lonely up here!

Guest son, jery

You are so on the mark, Jeane, about the squandering of all those millions. My number one obsession is to find funding for the preservation of all those thousands of old movies, moldering and rotting away because there's not hardly any experts who can preserve them. Even as we speak, unseen film treasures are turning to dust. That's why we only have one Theda Bara movie, no Mae Murray (except three), just thousands of movies that vanish each year. Okay, I'm off my soap-box because it's Memorial Day weekend. Have fun and stay safe from the terrorists!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest qman56

How could the Oscars not even give "The Searchers" one nomination. If any, John Wayne should have gotten the nod for best actor. It was the best performance he ever gave and it's only starting to be recognized now. If they could do it over again, Wayne wins in a land slide.

Guest qman56

I just don't understand how the Academy Thought "The Greatest Show On Earth" was a better picture than "The Quiet Man" and "High Noon" in 1952. It's the biggest gip in Oscar history.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest eva, little

I've raved about this gem in other folders but I'll give it one more shot: you must catch Terence Stamp's portrayal of the demented, haunted movie star in the "Toby Damit" segment of the horror triology, "Spirits of the Dead." Frederico Fellini directed this episode. You've never seen such increcible use of color, costume, lighting--and Stamps performance is not to be believed. Scary, too. Okay. That's my last mention of this rarely seen movie that can be brought on DVD or VHS.

• 2 months later...
Guest G, Mark

Im not going to go bashing Ginger Rogers here, but only bring into the discussion again the waste and shameful exclusions of the Academy Awards over the years. I like Ginger Rogers just fine, but to even suggest that her performance in "Kitty" was on a higher level than either "The Letter" or "Now, Voyager" is really beyond comprehension. But, I guess in the final analysis, history has proven to be the deciding factor in the matter, as both those performances, in addition to many others given by Miss Davis during her long career, are viewed today as performances of such great power and exceptional achievement as to render the discussion moot. Ginger was a wonderful dancer, an exceptional light comedienne, and a true legend, but her win in 1940 was an honor to a popular Hollywood resident who had paid her dues, nothing more. In her heart of hearts, Im sure she was painfully aware of it as well. There are so many instances of the flaws inherent in the naming of the Academy nominees, not to mention the winners themselves, that they can never truly be taken seriously. Maybe as a fashion show.....

• 1 month later...
Guest Darlene

Dorms Day should have won the Oscar in 1955 for her multi-layered performance in "Love Me Or Leave Me". The fact that she wasn't even nominated is a disgrace. She was indeed nominated for her delightful comedic performance in 1959 for "Pillow Talk", but didn't win, then in 1960 in "Midnight Lace", she gave a powerfully dramatic performance and again did not even receive a nomination. She's so versatile and so underrated.

Darlene I understand your frustration regarding Doris Day who deserved an Oscar nomination for "Love Me Or Leave Me". She also did a swell job as "Calamity Jane". In the past the Academy has ignored many fine performances especially James Cagney in "White Heat", Humphrey Bogart in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" , Ida Lupino in "The Hard Way" and Talullah Bankhead in "Lifeboat" among others. In fact Ida Lupino and Edward G. Robinson were NEVER nominated for Oscars. Shameful.