Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

And the Real Winnah is...!

Guest son, jery

Guest son, jery

Doris Day was fabulous but Hollywood never took her seriously. She was typecast as the bubbly, pert "eternal virgin," which is a real insult. This woman could do anything: musicals, drama, comedy. I loved her Warner Brother musicals in the late 40s and early 50s. She said in one interview that "Love Me or Leave Me" was an ordeal to make. Her biggest fights were over the hairstyles, wardrobes, the literal "look" of a movie that's supposed to occur in the Roaring Twenties. She said it looked like a hybrid of 20s and 50s and she's right. That's what I've always found distracting about "Love Me or Leave Me." The performances are tops: but it's very distracting to see Doris wearing quasi-50s clothes merged into flapper couture. The men looked even worse with 50s hairstyles and the extras were the nail in the coffin. I saw so many women in the background with 50s coiffures and fashions.

Guest olmsted, l

My favorite Doris Day performance was in The Man Who Knew Too Much. I have to admit, until I saw her in that, I viewed her as the "pert eternal virgin" also. She was so natural and believable in Man that my opinion of her was forever changed. The scene when she finds out that her son was kidnapped was one of the best performances I have ever seen. It, alone, should have earned her an Oscar!

I would have to agree with you on this one. I never thought too much of Doris Day till I saw "The Man Who Knew Too Much". She, and the film, were excellent, and it did cause me to wonder where she had been hiding all this wonderful ability all this time. She really made you feel the pain and the hopelessness of a mother who had lost a child, and didnt know where to find him. I also looked at her in a completely different light after that film.

Guest Darlene

Glad you mentioned Doris Day in "The Man Who Knew Too Much". She really was brilliant in that scene when James Stewart tells her about their son. She was excellent in the rarely seen "Storm Warning" which prompted Alfred Hitchcock to remember and cast her in "The Man Who Knew Too Much". The great James Cagney said that Doris was "his definition of good acting". Plus, she has the looks and that incredible singing voice. She's definitely underrated, but she was No. 1 at the box office and on records for many years which really speaks volumes when you consider all the other great actors and actresses making films during her reign as box office champ. In January 2003, she'll be TCM's "Star of the Month" so we can all enjoy her many wonderful performances.

Doris Day was no VIRGIN, but a sophisticated, intelligent, & assertive hardworking WOMAN! She was multi-talented and grossly UNDERRATED! I nominate Ingrid Bergman in NOTORIOUS. Never has a performance been more complex, self-destructive and finally...maybe/maybe not on the road to recovery. Or the question should be, is there really a light at the end of the tunnel? p.s. and she was positively angst and LOVELY!

Doris Day "Star of the Month" for January? What a refreshing way to start off the New Year. I always admired this gal since she could do it all. I do hope we'll be seeing her dramatic turn in "Storm Warning" with Ginger Rogers as her sister. And of course all those grand musicals that she starred in. I wonder who will be commenting on her career during the magazine stand preview of her career and films? Perhaps James Garner who adores her?

Guest Darlene

Unfortunately, mongo, the list of Doris Day films for January does not include Storm Warning or the rarely seen "Starlift", in which she portrayed herself. "Pillow Talk", "Love Me Or Leave Me" and her first film, "Romance On The High Seas" are a few that will be presented.

Guest son, jery

Doris Day nearly snagged the star role as Nellie Forbush in the tedious and lack-lustre production of "South Pacific." Her screen test knocked everybody out of their chairs. Those who saw it were simply electrified by her dazzling electricity and star quality. But also tested for the much coveted role were: Jane Powell, Susan Hayward, Liz Taylor, Katherine Grayson, Joan McCracken (who was fabulous in the l947 "Good News" and then vanished off the radar screen). Josh Logan, though, was obsessed with hiring Mitzi Gaynor. He also insisted on hiring an entire cast of actors who could not sing--except for Mitzi. Every voice was dubbed, including that of Bloody Mary. When one studio head observed that the Liz Taylor audition was almost as good as that of Doris Day, Logan reportedly screamed: "But she can't sing!" But then nobody in the damned cast sang! Rosanna Brazzi nearly walked off the picture because they wouldn't use his singing voice. But those who heard him sing said it was so embarassing to see this great looking Italian pouring his heart out in "Some Enchanted Evening"--while sounding like Jerry Lewis on speed.

Guest son, jery

Yes, yes, it's true! Can you see the fab Doris Day as Mrs. Robinson? Director Mike Nichols pleaded with her and she was gung-ho to do it. But her agent--or her hubby--refused to let her do it. Anne Bancroft was okay as Mrs. Robinson but to me, she telegraphed her every move, so that when it came time for her to seduce Dustin Hoffman, there was zero surprise.