Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will George Clooney Be Attacked by 'The Birds'?!

*LOL!!!!! I just wish Hollywood would live classic films alone, & well since "_The Birds_" turns 45 yrs Old in 2008, Hollywood should just clean up the orginial print and re-release it into theaters!*

First came Naomi Watts as a possible replacement for Tippi Hedren in that long-brewing remake of The Birds. Now a rumor straight from Metro.co.uk claims that George Clooney might play Mitch Bremner. It seems that the original Mitch, Rod Taylor, told the Daily Express: "I often cringe when I hear mention of remakes but I'll hold judgment, especially since I've been told Clooney's the favorite*." To add to the displeasure, Tippi herself said: "Can't we find new stories, new things to do? Must you be so insecure that you have to take a film that's a classic and try to do it over?"*

Good question, Ms. Hedren. I've been doubly anxious nauseous about the long-rumored _The Birds_ remake ever since word hit that this incarnation might have the birds fighting back against our treatment of the environment. It just brings to mind Jaws: The Revenge mixed with the terrible _Psycho_ remake. But all the time that has passed -- it seemed like a fleeting dream that would wonderfully die in development hell.

And Clooney? I like the guy every which way, but attaching his name to this project would really make me reconsider that statement. Luckily it's still deep in the rumor seas.

Thanks,

Cinematical

By: Monika Bartyzel Oct 27th 2008

THE BIRDS is one of a handful of old films that truly has the sort of instant "name-recognition" that makes studios salivate when they think of doing a remake.

Generally, though, studios want to remake great films (which THE BIRDS emphatically is not) that don't need remaking, and whose originals are utterly unknown to that most coveted of audience demographics, 16-34-year-olds. The sad, ironic part is that the history of Hollywood is littered with the wreckage of great stories that were made into bad-to-mediocre movies, that are truly crying to be remade, but that the geniuses in the studios' ivory towers have themselves never heard of (and are, therefore, disinterested in remaking).

As for Clooney, I can see him in any number of Rod Taylor parts (I've always been a big fan of Taylor's; despite doing several high-profile films in the early-mid 1960s, he never became as big a star as he deserved to be. Add to this that I've heard he's a very nice man) due to similarities both physical and in screen persona.

A remake of 36 HOURS, anyone?

> {quote:title=CineSage_jr wrote:}{quote}

> THE BIRDS is one of a handful of old films that truly has the sort of instant "name-recognition" that makes studios salivate when they think of doing a remake.

+>+

Sez you. It's the greatest film, as far as I'm concerned. I'm looking forward to George Clooney in a remake of *The Birds* about as much as a multi-root canal!

I'd go for a remake of The Birds if it were directed by Howard Hawks, and starred Walter Pidgeon, Robin Williams, Goose Gossage, and Wings Hauser. Also, put Gregory Peck in charge of special effects.

Feel free to add additional cast members.

There have been various unofficial remakes of " The Birds" including a dreadful made for cable sequel with Tippi Hedren in a cameo. Hitchcock and his screenwriter took very little except the basic premise from the du Maurier short story. A new version could be made and they will probably blame global warming for the bird attacks- of course nothing can be better than the Hitchcock classic- but hey in an imagination challenged Hollywood they never learn.

{quote:title=drednm wrote:} You forgot Jon Finch, Rebecca Pigeon, Ethan Hawke, and Debra Winger (sorry).....{quote}

It's actually Rebecca Pidgeon, just like Walter Pidgeon. Then there're Howard Hawks, Billie Dove, Jeanne Crain, Bob Crane, Lisa Pelikan, Russell Crowe, Edie Falcone, Buddy Swann (who playedCharles Foster Kane as an eight-year-old), David Canary (remember Bonanza?), Judy Geeson, Roadrunner, Tweetie Pie, Chilly Willy and Woody Woodpecker.

> {quote:title=joefilmone wrote:}{quote}

> . A new version could be made and they will probably blame global warming for the bird attacks-

In modern-day horror, man is always the monster. That's Hollywood thinking they're being relevant, when what they're being, is just boring.

THE BIRDS, the greaatest film?? Johnm 001 you must be kidding. Although OK this Hitchcock film was far from great. Although I like it better than when I first saw it, I think its way down the list of Hitchcock's best. I think this film started a downward spiral of Hitchcock's career that never recovered from his greatest period. Although quite beautiful, I always felt Tippi Hedron was not really an actress and always seemed to be wooden in all her film roles.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:} {quote}

> You young whippersnappers.

>

> Hitchcocks The Birds was a remake.

>

> I heard this version on the wireless, 55 years ago.....

>

> The Birds, starring Herbert Marshall, Lux Radio Theater, 1953:

> http://ia341208.us.archive.org/0/items/Lux18/Lux-530720-52m26s-839hrt-Birds-HMarshallBLGerson.mp3{quote}

Hitchcock's movie was no more a "remake" of the radio broadcast than the screen version of , say, OKLAHOMA! was a "remake" of the stage production.

And it's :ompous."

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> You young whippersnappers.

+>+

> Hitchcocks The Birds was a remake.

+>+

> I heard this version on the wireless, 55 years ago.....

+>+

> The Birds, starring Herbert Marshall, Lux Radio Theater, 1953:

> http://ia341208.us.archive.org/0/items/Lux18/Lux-530720-52m26s-839hrt-Birds-HMarshallBLGerson.mp3

LOL. I remember hearing that before. All I can say is thank God for Evan Hunter's screenplay!

>Hitchcock's movie was no more a "remake" of the radio broadcast than the screen version of , say, OKLAHOMA! was a "remake" of the stage production.

There was no ?stage production? of ?The Birds?.

The radio sound track sounds like the same birds screeching as in his film. Sounds like Hitch took his background bird track directly from the radio show. Usually, the radio shows were made after the films, but in this case the film was made after the radio show.

> There was no stage production of The Birds.

+>+

> The radio sound track sounds like the same birds screeching as in his film. Sounds like Hitch took his background bird track directly from the radio show. Usually, the radio shows were made after the films, but in this case the film was made after the radio show.

There is absolutely nothing about the film version of *The Birds* that remotely resembles that radio play.

>There is absolutely nothing about the film version of The Birds that remotely resembles that radio play.

Oh, nonsense. The constant screeching of the mass of birds in the movie sounds just like the sound track of the radio show. The remote location of the story. The run to the school. The old farmer killed by the birds. The birds pecking their way through the walls of the house and down the chimney. The little girl with the pet bird. The old grandmother. The radio dispatches from the big city. Everything in the radio play runs exactly the same way in the movie, except for the addition of the sexy blonde, which is inappropriate for this story, since this story is a parable about nature getting rid of mankind if mankind continues to carry on wars and tamper with nature. I've never seen a movie modeled so much after a radio show as this one.

In fact, I already knew the whole story and the various events when I first saw the movie in the theater in 1963, since I had heard the very same story 10 years earlier on the radio... including the screeching of all the birds, which requires a certain kind of sound mix to achieve the effect of mixed species of birds screeching.

Well, when I watch the movie, I see an adult male with a sister and a mother, a school teacher, and a socialite blonde. I also see two major scenes set at a diner, where a woman gets treated for being attacked by a sea gull, and where a group of people discuss the attacks. Also where the blonde gets attacked by gulls, and where the same gulls cause a major explosion and fire. I see a child's birthday party attacked by crows. I see two women in love with the same man. I see a protective, fearful mother, who's afraid for her young daughter's safety. I see a major scene at the child's school, where a classroom of children are sent home and attacked by birds. I see a major scene set in a pet shop in San Francisco, and other scenes set in Bodega Bay, California. I see a major scene where the socialite and school teacher discuss the man and his mother. What I just typed is the bulk of the film version of *The Birds*. None of those characters or those scenes exist in that radio play. They are so different, that if they made a film version of that radio play, it couldn't be considered a remake of Evan Hunter's screenplay for the Hitchcock film.

THE BIRDS was based on a short story by Daphne du Maurier, which I read a million years ago. It was set in a small English coastal village, and the main birds there were rooks, not gulls. Hitchcock took the basic plot, invented all new characters, and moved the setting to California. Nevertheless he maintained the basic idea and feelings of the original material. I never heard the radio play.

• 5 years later...

Any "Birds" remake should consider using the alternate ending that Hitchcock had planned:

One alternate ending featured the Golden Gate Bridge covered in birds. The original ending had the car driving away, seeing the town in ruins with dead birds everywhere, cars in flames and a final attack on the car before Melanie and Mitch got away. Evan Hunter said it would have taken a month to film that version.
Read more at http://www.pajiba.com/seriously_random_lists/mindhole-blowers-20-facts-about-the-birds-that-might-leave-you-running-and-shriekingor-at-least-cawphing.php#APYAKORIUKMVpt81.99