Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
arslongavitabrev

Foreign Films on TCM

i'm new here, so forgive me if this has been covered before. once in a blue moon TCM will show a remarkable classic foreign film -- a couple of months ago there was one in italian in the middle of the night, and they did that eye-opening Baliwood month. i, for one, dearly wish they would do this more often -- am i the only one? is there some reason they don't?

I am in complete agreement on this one. I also wish TCM would show more foreign films and from all over the world. The Bollywood fest last summer was incredible, such a panorama of films I probably would never of had a chance to see anywhere else. One of the titles presented, PYASSA, was a masterpiece. TCM's current policy is to show at least one foreign film per week, almost always slotted in their TCM IMPORT showcase on late Friday nights, but other ones do pop up from time to time at other points in their schedule. Please write to TCM and make them aware of your interest in world cinema. They have shown an enthusiastic and comprehensive commitment to exploring all facets of film as art, making them, as I've posted before, the greatest network in the history of television.

I would like too as well. However the core audience doesn't like foreign films, or even silent films despite the support on this board.

TCM showed "Seven Samurai" recently which was nice, but does anyone know if they have shown any other samurai movies?

If you're enjoy samurai movies check to see if you have IFC. They show them regularly on Saturdays and sometimes during the week. Look for Toshiro Mifune in the Samurai Trilogy or any of his movies with Kurosawa.

Pete, Samurai Saturdays on IFC is teriffic. They show a number of great old Japanese films, not just those with Mifune or directed by Kurosawa. Just last month they showed SAMURAI REBELLION, ONIBABA and SWORD OF DOOM, each one a veritable classic. They have also shown a great number of the ZATOICHI, BLIND SWORDSMAN fims from that brilliant series. They show the films completely letterboxed, preserving the original aspect ratio of the films, uncut and without commercials. Hard to believe this network is owned by the same people who also own AMC. The only thing I don't like is that ever hovering IFC logo on the screen, but, sadly, that's this corporate world we're inundated with nowadays.

I used to make suggestions to TCM for more foreign titles, but it doesn't seem like this category is of high interest to them. What few foreign titles they show on Friday nights only scratch the surface of what's available (although I am grateful for those they've shown). I'd personally love to see more of the early work of Vittorio de Sica, as both a director and and actor.

Generally speaking, foreign titles on DVD are priced higher than most other movies (around $30 - $40 apiece), and most video stores choose to include only the most familiar foreign films of all time. So, this leaves the cost of watching foreign titles too high for most of us in terms of just "trying" them out for the first time. I have found myself buying official DVD versions of foreign films I initially taped from Turner, so in the end, it can profit the studios to receive TCM exposure. You sometimes wonder how the studios can make any profit at all from their DVD releases of foreign films.

When they showed the Bollywood films, there was a lot of criticism on this board. I, however, gained a new appreciation for these films, when I was sure I would hate them. I fell in love with Ahmer Kahn, and now I watch everything he's in that I have access to (usually the Sundance channel.) I hope they show some of these films again.

I'm a huge fan of French films, too, even though they usually have a tragic ending (I've come to the conclusion that if someone doesn't die by the end of a French film, then it's not "French".) I've also enjoyed some German, Italian, Spanish (Almondovar), Chinese & Japanese films.

we used to have IFC but lost it, i did catch a lot of foreign films there. all we have is sundance, and they do show some classic french films occasionally, although usually they are newer ones. even PBS will feature a subtitled film from time to time. and last week on an obscure channel i caught The Marriage of Maria Braun - much more powerful to me 20 years later, older & wiser.

i'd like to see TCM present Jean Cocteau's La Bete Humaine, or Orphee. or some of Jules Dassin's films.

There are some good ones coming up in the next few months, though. Most are, of course, the 2am slot on Friday nights/Saturday mornings, but I'll take what I can get!

April 23 - Friday - 9:00 PM to 12:15 AM - La Dolce Vita (Fellini)

April 24 - Saturday - 1:15 AM to 3:15 AM - La Strada (Fellini)

May 8 - Saturday - 4:00 AM to 6:00 AM - The Mirror (Tarkovsky)

May 22 - Saturday - 2:00 AM to 4:00 AM - Smiles of a Summer Night (Bergman)

May 29 - Saturday - 2:00 AM to 4:15 AM - Paisan (Rossellini)

June 19 - Saturday - 2:00 AM to 4:45 AM - La Terra Trema (Visconti)

June 26 - Saturday - 2:00 AM to 3:45 AM - The Seventh Seal (Bergman)

I can't speak for the others yet because I haven't seen them (waiting impatiently), but the two Fellini films are absolutely must see films. ML

I like the Foreign Films I've seen on TCM, but wish they would show a mix of the older classics, incorporated with some more modern titles, such as WINGS OF DESIRE, or RAISE THE RED LANTERN. I can only watch THE BICYCLE THIEF so many times (although I enjoy it every time).

As far as leobertucelli's request to "shelve the silents" goes, I gotta say, Bite your tongue!! I will never get sick of the silent films........

Well, so that's why my tongue hurts? Oh silents are ok but sorry, just ok. Maybe it's their musical tracks - why not be a silent film throughout? Sometimes silence itself is good--

Leo again--

If you don't like the music you can just turn the sound off. I do that every time with Metropolis.

leobertucelli,

Silents are "just OK?" Tsk, Tsk. That's your opinion, my friend, so I will respect it. But I personally cannot piece together my 10 favorite films of all-time without at least two or three silent films. To dismiss them as merely OK baffles me. Silent films evolved into a magnificent art form just in time for sound films to make them obsolete. Before this occurred, a good deal of ground was broken.

It was only a matter of time before sound came in and revolutionized the film industry, but the Silent era produced so many great films and introduced so many stars, and above all, wrote the book on filmmaking. The directors of that era produced the template from which films are still being structured today. There is a wealth of great, GREAT movies from that era. So that's MY opinion. I will admit that for some, it does take patience to enjoy the Silents. I just find them to be a great piece of history.........