Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NZ

BEST MUSICAL WITH A CHRISTMAS THEME

In light of the fact that we are fast approaching the Christmas holidays, which movie or movies do you think are the most endearing and/or heartwarming of the holiday season?

Two personal favorites of mine are Holiday Inn and Meet Me In St. Louis. The latter isn't really a Christmas movie but it introduces one of the great all time Christmas standards; Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - never more heartbreakingly poignant than when rendered here by the great and wonderful Judy Garland.

As for Holiday Inn - it still makes me want to be an inn keeper in Connecticut. Crosby's White Christmas is the obvious Irving Berlin standout, but the film also introduces 'Happy Holidays' and 'One Minute to Midnight' for the New Year's Eve party sequence - capped off by Fred Astaire's superb 'drunken' dance with Marjorie Reynolds.

Well, enough of my favorites. What are yours?

NZ, you picked two of my two favorites already, *Meet Me in St. Louis* and *Holiday Inn*.

*Meet Me in St. Louis* is my all-time favorite movie, but purely from a Christmas-theme standpoint *Miracle on 34th Street* is my favorite, followed by *St. Louis*.

I also love *Christmas in Connecticut*.

But those other movies aren't musicals, so I am sticking with your choices.

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies

There is only one all-time great Christmas movie and the winner is MIRACLE ON 34th STREET, Time has not been kind to WHITE CHRISTMAS. The plot is terribly creaky despite a few nice musical numbers, gorgeous Technicolor and Vera-Ellen. Sure wish Astaire or Donald O'Connor had played opposite Crosby as originally intended. I can see now why Astaire turned the picture down. Other films with Xmas themes that have become favorites of mine include MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, SCROOGE (Alastair Sim) and CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT. And fast becoming a favorite is HOLIDAY AFFAIR.

> {quote:title=Edgecliff wrote:}{quote}

> There is only one all-time great Christmas movie and the winner is MIRACLE ON 34th STREET,

You do know that *Miracle on 34th Street* isn't a musical, don't you?

For some reason I did not read this thread's whole title since I was writing this reply on my break at work.

For some reason I did not read this thread's whole title since I was writing this reply on my break at work.

Ah, but you did know you were in the Musicals forum? :P

Nah, it's all in good fun, it was nice to read your post. B-)

I like "Holiday Inn" but my favorite is: (don't laugh)

"A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS"

I am a huge fan of Charles Schulz and all of the Charlie Brown holiday movies.

It's not really a movie, but a TV special; however I don't think anyone should laugh at you if this is your favourite Christmas program.

Thanks, FF! So far no one is laughing.;)

I also like the different versions of "A Christmas Carol", except the tacky ones modernized

for television. For example, there was one starring Susan Lucci. AWFUL!! I couldn't get

past the first 1/2 hour. What was I thinking to even attempt to watch it?!

You are correct about Charlie being made for tv. Oh, well. I like it so..o..o much!! Bg

I happen to be a fan of *The Muppet Christmas Carol* - and was lucky enough to get Michael Caine to autograph a poster of the movie for me some years ago. He was very friendly. B-)

Wow! How thrilling for you!! I love that version as well. So clever.

(By the way, no autograph from Kermit or Miss Piggy? ;)

Unfortunately, there are so few musical Christmas movies. :(

Annie (Disney version)

Babes in Toyland

Going My Way

Holiday Inn

White Christmas

A Christmas Carol (2004)

Diva's Christmas Carol

Mrs. Santa Claus

That's pretty much all I can think of. I think Holiday Inn and White Christmas remain my faves.

Definitely Holiday Inn and White Christmas! And you're right, there aren't enough Christmas musicals!

I also love The Bishop's Wife (There's a song with the boy's choir, so can we count that?) :0)