Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sparklingpink

Sidewalks of New York (1931)

Has anyone seen this film?

It was made in 1931 and stars two of my favorite actors of all time, Anita Page & Buster Keaton.

I just saw it, and personally, I loved it! It was absolutely hilarious. I've read that many people consider this to be Buster's worst movie, but I can't understand why. I know MGM ruined his career and most of his films made there aren't his best, but this one (& Free And Easy) I really liked. But I did like this one more then I liked Free And Easy. I guess I just love seeing Anita & Buster together. :)

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? What did you think of the movie?

Also, Sidewalks of New York is going to be playing on TCM December 2, 2008 as part of their full-day tribute to Anita Page.

-GRF

I'm not very objective since I am a big Buster Keaton fan, but I'd say Sidewalks was the worst of the MGM talkies I've seen Keaton in. It had its moments, but it just seemed that MGM thought that Keaton falling down is what made him funny. He was far more than that. He was a clever problem solver in his silent films. At MGM they just turned him into a bumbler.

As for "Free & Easy", I liked it better than "Sidewalks", but I just didn't get the musical number at the end. The tune is great, but why hide Keaton's great face behind that awful clown makeup?

To me Keaton's best sound feature was 1932's "Speak Easily" in which he plays a college professor who mistakenly believes he has inherited a fortune and strikes out to see the world. Believing he is wealthy he decides to financially back a show and take it to Broadway, mainly because he is smitten with one of the girls that is in the show.

The only one of his seven MGM sound films I haven't seen is "What, No Beer?". That was his last film before he was fired from MGM.

It has been quite a while since I've seen SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK, but as I recall, It wasn't all that great. It had a few funny moments, but over all it was not up to the quality of the Keaton silents. As for FREE AND EASY, it was okay until the end where they tried to make Keaton more like Chaplin, by making him a "sad clown" (in this case literally!). In my opinion, the Keaton MGM talkies are pretty weak.