Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Best Almost Kiss

Guest steiner, richard

The first one that comes to my mind is the 1933 movie WHITE SISTER with Helen Hays and Clark Gable. In this movie, Hays and Gable love each other dearly, but are seperated by the war (I think WWI). When she gets news of his death, she joins a convent, hoping to forget him and immerse herself in good works. Of course, Clark's not dead, and later returns to het and finds her as a nursing sister in a hospital. He begs her to return to him, but she feels bound by her vows to God. You can feel the sexual energy, but Hays stays true to her order and Clark, sadly, must leave. I bawl every time I see this one.

Guest d., carol

I agree with you about the almost kiss in It's a Wonderful Life between Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed. I love anything with Jimmy Stewart in it! He is my favorite actor!!

Guest steiner, r

I'd agree about the scene in It's a Wonderful Life - especially the moment where she's on the telephone. That was great. In fact - many of Capra's films have great almost kisses - I'm thinking of a few moments in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Guest K, Sandy

Joel McCrea and Jean Arthur in THE MORE THE MERRIER. They're sitting on a front stoop and Joel is kissing Jean's neck while she tries to maintain her composure and carry on a conversation. Steamy!

Guest Enriquez, Joanna

I'm not sure if the X-files movie counts as a classic,but if it does there's a classic almost kiss scene in there, interrupted by alien bee sting.

• 1 month later...
Guest olmsted, l

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the one between Clark Gable and Vivian Leigh in GWTW. After Ashley leaves the room and Rhett has been on the couch listening to the whole thing, he grabs her and tells her to close her eyes. She is expecting to be kissed and he studies her for a moment and says, "No, I don't think I will kiss you, but you need kissin'".

Oh Lolmsted, you should have finished the quote. It's one of my favorite GWTW lines: "No I don't think I will kiss you, but you need kissin', often, and by someone who knows how!" Don't you just know Clark Gable knew how! I saw GWTW as a teen in the 70's, and what a thrill to my teenage ears to hear Gable say that!Yes, that one is a wonderful "almost kiss." Thanks for reminding me of it.

• 1 month later...
Guest Gaughran

One of my favorite "almost kisses" was in The Naked Jungle between Eleanor Parker and Charleton Heston where he's putting insect repellent on her back in her tent. Whew! Similar scene between Stewart Granger and Deborah Kerr in King Solomon's Mines where he helps her down off the rocks and she slips. Of course, he catches her!

• 1 month later...
Guest Jiggirl

I agree that the phone call scene in It's A Wonderful Life between Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed was one of the best love scenes, but I don't remember that scene as the best "almost" kiss, but the best scene showing when a man realizes how much he loves this woman and the only thing he can do for the rest of his life if be with her..I love that scene!!!! I think the best almost kiss scene was between Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman when he rescued her in the movie Notorious! :-)

Guest finnie1, moira

These may not qualify as classics from the golden age, but here goes: 1.In "The Deer Hunter", the scene between Robert DeNiro and Meryl Streep when he comes back from Vietnam to tell her that her fiance is lost is full of unarticulated attraction. 2.The other scene that occurs to me is in "The Remains of the Day" when Emma Thompson visits Anthony Hopkins in his room and tries to see what he is reading, I found myself saying out loud: "Don't be a fool--you need each other!"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Reggatta

Buster Keaton and Marion Mack in _The General_. After great trials and tribulations, Buster, newly appointed an army officer, has finally won the girl and is just about to kiss her when an enlisted man walks by. Buster has to stop his kiss in order to return the soldier's salute. Buster returns his attention to the kiss but before he can complete it, another soldier walks by, requiring another salute...then another soldier...suddenly Buster realizes an entire regiment is headed his way and he's going to have to salute each and every one of those soldiers. How he manages to accomplish that and finally kiss his girl is absolutely delightful and unforgettable.

• 4 months later...

It Happened One Night. Where Peter is "tucking her in" in the woods laying in the hay, and he almost kisses her but he doesn't. And in Bringing Up Baby, when they almost kiss while looking for Baby.