Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

COP HATER (1958)

Just got around to viewing this one on videotape. It's based on an Ed McBain novel. Robert Loggia and Gerald S. O'Loughlin star as detectives investigating a series of cop killings. Loggia's girlfriend is played by Ellen Parker. She's mute, so you know at some point in the film, her life will be in jeopardy. O'Loughlin's wife is played by Shirley Ballard. Ms. Ballard parades around in various sexy outfits, including some kind of leopard-skin bathing suit. You see, it's very hot in this city. Ms. Ballard looks great from the neck down. Unfortunately, her facial makeup looks like something out of Cat-women of the Moon. There are some familiar faces in the cast, like Vincent Gardenia and Steve (Chatsworth Osborne Jr.) Franken. Jerry Orbach turns up as a gang leader doing a bad impression of Vic Morrow.

Members of the ACLU will be appalled at the police tactics, particularly when O'Loughlin slugs a suspect and Loggia pistol-whips the killer. However, I found these scenes quite entertaining and thought the police were remarkably restrained under the circumstances. But that's just my opinion. Your outrage may vary.

A short film, around 75 minutes, but worth catching if TCM shows it again.

I noticed Jerry Obach's name in the credits but didn't stay with the movie long enough

to catch him. I have never seen him "young" on screen. It was a little too seedy for me.

ChiO mentioned liking it alot down in the film noir forum.

I found the film mediocre at best, but Ellen Parker was absolutely radiant. What a stunningingly beautiful woman. It's too bad she didn't have a longer career. I'm going to put in a request for another showing so I can tape it. Yeah, I REALLY was blown away by her.

Bob C.

> You're not as slow as I am!

I taped *Play-Girl* when TCM showed it in a birthday salute to Loretta Young, and got around to watching it over the July 4th weekend.

Loretta Young's birthday is in January.

Even worse, I've got the silent version of *King of Kings* on tape someplace, and still haven't watched it. I can't even remember when I taped it.

I didn't even know about this movie. COP HATER was the first of McBain's many "87th Precinct" novels, a reliable, entertaining series that never dissapoints. There are better crime novels. Darker, more poetic. But for fast, thrilling storytelling, you can't beat Ed McBain. Love to see this movie!

• 2 weeks later...

Want to hear something really weird? I watched CAPE FEAR again recently. There's a shot of a police duty board. The names of the officers are right out of McBain! M. Meyer. Bert Kling. This can't be coincidence. Somebody must have been a fan.