Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ddidarrio

WWII short feature starring African-American musician

Hello all...last night (Tuesday 03/30) between "Three Strangers" and "Song of Russia" an MGM short feature was shown. The plot involved a young African American kid trying to raise $2 to purchase a horn. He ends up surprising everyone by playing a number with the band. He's then offered a million dollar contract, but turns it down because he's joined the US Army and all he wants to do is play the bugle for his company. Did anyone else watch this? Can anyone tell me the name of the short or--more importantly--the young African-American actor who played the kid?? David

I remember seeing this a long time ago, but damn it all, I can't seem to recall the name of the short.

Ddidarrio, the MGM film short is called "Shoe Shine Boy"(1943) and it starred Melvin Bryant as the young trumpeter along with Sam Levene and Walter Catlett as the two showbiz entrepeneurs who "discover" the lad in the bar. Though perhaps Mongo or someone else knows more about him, it is apparently Melvin Bryant's only appearance on film. I wish I knew more about this obviously talented youth,(assuming that he was the artist who played the trumpet in the film and that it hadn't been dubbed).