Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

YMA SUMAC has died

Guest dredagain

Thank you for posting this.

I just got an autographed photo of her last year, I idolize her. She liked my letter so much, her secretary called me to thank me for it. She was an incredible singer and pioneering lady of her time. The world is a little sadder and darker without her.

She was certainly a unique talent.... I remember her in SECRET OF THE INCAS with Charlton Heston.

Always a little over the top, like a Carmen Miranda with a legitimate voice. No one had a voice quite like hers.

I first became aware of Yma back in the late 70's when I went over to a friends house, smoked some killer weed, while he (a true music aficionado) put an LP of hers on the hi-fi. It was a transporting and transcendent evening listening to Yma and her unbelievably wide ranging voice while we sat there transfixed, eating popcorn and doing shots of Wild Turkey. What a great evening. I've been a fan of Yma's ever since.

Bob C.

*Secret of the Incas (III)*

_Secret of the Incas_ (1954) is an adventure film starring Charlton Heston as adventurer Harry Steele, on the trail of an ancient Incan artifact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeFy9S0MKp4

yma.jpg

Do not grieve at the passing of mortality,for life's but a thing of terrible gravity. And the planets gravitate around you, and the stars shall dance about you, and the angels in heaven adore you, and the saints all stand and applaud you.So faraway, so faraway and yet so close.

Nick Cave,

"Far Away, So Close"

nodgnoc, sounds like any given day in my studio studio. Except now I don't have to play vinyl, Yma is available in stereo on CD. When the Ultimate Yma Sumac Collection was sent as a promo to my local record store, the owners GAVE it to me knowing I'd appreciate it. I'm a theramin player and her voice sounds like theramin to me, just unreal.

Thanks for those YouTube links....I've always wanted to see that movie just because of her. Wish TCM would broadcast it.