Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lonely Wives (1931)

gagman66

Thanks to fellow SSO member Fernando, I got to see a rare Pre-code with a three some of Silent film lovelies. LONELY WIVES (1931) features the delightful triumvirate of Patsy Ruth Miller, Esther Ralston, and Laura La Plante all in the same production!

Who would believe Edward Evertt Horton as a famed Philandering Lawyer named Richard Smith! It's true. And He hires a vaudevillian impersonator Mr. Zero to take his place, so He can step out with his Secretary (Kelly), and her best friend (La Plante). Unbeknownst to Mr. Smith, Laura is also Mrs. Zero! In the midst of these escapades, Richard's Wify-poo Madeleine (Ralston) returns home unexpectedly from a trip abroad, and what's more she's feeling frisky too! Oh, oh! The film is allot of fun. Horton is typically hilarious, the supporting cast is good. There is jealousy and suspicion abound, and repeated mistaken identity, that runs through much of the picture.

Ralston, and Miller are both virtually unrecognizable with very short hair. La Plante looks about the same. Never heard of this one before, but it is a fine early screwball comedy. This type of thing was actually done over and over again in Silent's with ladies such as Constance Talmadge, Marion Davies, Marie Prevost, Virginia Lee Corbin, and Colleen Moore just to name a few. So there was really nothing new about it, but the dialogue is Snappy and three prominent Silent actresses all give wonderful performances, handling their lines superbly.

All and all great fun, and I must say a very nice print too! Thanks much Fernando! I really enjoyed this one. That last line by the Mother-In-law was the real killer! Boy I am still laughing, and I watched this last night!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived