Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kaneboop

When you think of Judy Garland...

I would have to say singer - I can't recall a film of hers I've seen where she didn't sing. By the way are there any? Are they any good?

I think of her as a singer who said words between the songs. Except she was fabulous in one of her only dramatic roles, Judgement at Nuremburg.

I think of Judy Garland as both a singer and an actress because when she acted, she sang most of the time in her films. Simple enough.

Mongo

In my mind, Judy Garland started out as a singer, and ended as one, too. She became Louis B. Mayer's "property" at MGM, and he turned her into an actress, and also destroyed her health in the process.

When her career in Hollywood was over, and her health greatly compromised, she kept right on singing, bless her heart. So, I have to say that I'm happy that we got to see her on the silver screen in so many great musicals, and even the few serious drama's that she did....but it's her voice that I always remember first when I think of Judy.

I believe that "Over the Rainbow" will be named the Best Song of the Century, and although many people have recorded their own version of it, it will always be Judy's song, and Judy's voice I hear singing it. :) ML

Shyla, I agree one hundred and ten percent.

Few singers are able to make me cry... and when she sings "the boy next door" and even her version of "you made me love you" I get choked up. (I know, I know, I'm hopeless... :P )

Definitely as a singer. But she was a great actress as well. She gave the performance of her career in "A Star is Born." And her dramatic moments in the film (especially the end) were just as effective as her musical numbers. She also gave a great dramatic performance opposite Robert Walker in "The Clock" - she doesn't sing at all in this, and it's a romantic drama, but she's great in it. She also looks absolutely beautiful in this movie. She made it in 1943 which seems to be one of the better periods of her life, since it was on this film that she met and fell in love with Vincent Minnelli.

I want to take back what I said about Judy being a singer who said words between songs. I watched Little Nellie Kelley last night & she was great in that movie. I just don't care for some of her later works such as Summer Stock and (I know I'll get ragged on for this) A Star is Born. I just love Janet Gaynor & Frederic March's version so much that I just don't want to see anyone else playing those parts.