Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will TCM ever have a medieval night?

On 11/9/2008 at 5:58 PM, young_pup said:

It's been so long since I've seen these movies, but I would love to see them again. They molded me into the fine young man I am..(uh hmm... being slightly facetious).

Ivanhoe

King Richard and the Crusaders

Robin Hood

Hamlet, with Sir Laurence Olivier

Knights of the Round Table

anyone else for a night of knights?

I love this idea!  I'd tune in.  Great film choices.  I have a special place in my heart for "The Adventures of Robin Hood".  Here's a few more of medieval films that I like.

The Seventh Seal (1957)  Directed by Ingmar Bergman.  About a Swedish Knight who returns from the Crusades to find his country overcome by the Black Death and who decides to make a deal with death in a chess match.  The striking photography of haunting scenes you will find hard to get out of your mind.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)  A gripping story of the 15th century teenager doomed to death.  A silent movie that is really moving.

Becket (1964)  About the troubled relationship between Henry II and his friend turned bishop Becket.  I really like Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole in this film.

I love the play "Macbeth" by William Shakespeare.  "Macbeth" takes place in medieval Scotland.  Are there any film versions of Macbeth that anyone would recommend?

I also like the film "Camelot" just for the great songs!

image.jpeg.0fda743e1f043d7ba960a12faa6000a8.jpeg   image.jpeg.01c8d8bec7d9b0081126cc05b16a4a78.jpeg  image.jpeg.bec7cd5731a16317b6843970948715a5.jpeg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Toto said:

Are there any film versions of Macbeth that anyone would recommend?

If you don't mind where it's medieval, Akira Kurosawa's Throne of Blood (1957) is the gold standard.

current_617_002_medium.jpg

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Toto said:

Re: "I love the play "Macbeth" by William Shakespeare.  "Macbeth" takes place in medieval Scotland.  Are there any film versions of Macbeth that anyone would recommend?"

Yes: Roman Polanski's MACBETH!

6 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Re: "Yes: Roman Polanski's MACBETH!"

"It will have blood, they say;blood will have blood."

The first movie Roman Polanski made following the Manson murders to my knowledge, MACBETH (1971) is suitably bloody. Nevertheless, it was used as a "training film" for young Shakespeare students in So Cal during the 1970s.

Look for a young Inspector George Gently, Martin Shaw, looking very Beowulfish as Banquo... 

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Toto said:

I love this idea!  I'd tune in.  Great film choices.  I have a special place in my heart for "The Adventures of Robin Hood".  Here's a few more of medieval films that I like.

The Seventh Seal (1957)  Directed by Ingmar Bergman.  About a Swedish Knight who returns from the Crusades to find his country overcome by the Black Death and who decides to make a deal with death in a chess match.  The striking photography of haunting scenes you will find hard to get out of your mind.

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)  A gripping story of the 15th century teenager doomed to death.  A silent movie that is really moving.

Becket (1964)  About the troubled relationship between Henry II and his friend turned bishop Becket.  I really like Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole in this film.

I love the play "Macbeth" by William Shakespeare.  "Macbeth" takes place in medieval Scotland.  Are there any film versions of Macbeth that anyone would recommend?

I also like the film "Camelot" just for the great songs!

image.jpeg.0fda743e1f043d7ba960a12faa6000a8.jpeg   image.jpeg.01c8d8bec7d9b0081126cc05b16a4a78.jpeg  image.jpeg.bec7cd5731a16317b6843970948715a5.jpeg

A Medieval film night is a good idea,   but I don't know if I would wait over 12 years to get my wish!

• Like 1

Lots of films fit the Medieval period, since the traditional dates are ca. 500-1500, basically from the fall of Rome (in the West); to the Renaissance.

Rohmer's Perceval le Gallois (1978) features Gawain as a character.

homepage_perceval1-thumb-500x380-16599.j

• Like 1

My series of graduate seminars covering the Medieval period covered 500 -- 1300.  The last seminar was called "The Crisis of the 13th Century."

I'm just having some fun here -- I hope you know that!  I really wouldn't want to shun stories taking place in those years between 1300 and 1500.  And no one can really pinpoint an exact date for the transformation anyway.   "Florence, the city-state.  July 16, 1301.  It was hot in the city that afternoon.  My partner Guglielmo Gannoni and I were working bunco when a call came in to investigate the appearance of a 'Renaissance' taking place at a local fruit stand...."

Well, it could have happened that way.  Still, I'm all in for a good Medieval night's worth of movies.  All the ones suggested so far seem fine by me!

35 minutes ago, brianNH said:

My series of graduate seminars covering the Medieval period covered 500 -- 1300.  The last seminar was called "The Crisis of the 13th Century."

I'm just having some fun here -- I hope you know that!  I really wouldn't want to shun stories taking place in those years between 1300 and 1500.  And no one can really pinpoint an exact date for the transformation anyway.   "Florence, the city-state.  July 16, 1301.  It was hot in the city that afternoon.  My partner Guilelmo Gannoni and I were working bunco when a call came in to investigate the appearance of a 'Renaissance' taking place at a local fruit stand...."

Well, it could have happened that way.  Still, I'm all in for a good Medieval night's worth of movies.  All the ones suggested so far seem fine by me!

Of course we're all having fun here -- I hope!

I think the dates of the Medieval Ages depends on the country. Huizinga's book The Waning of the Middle Ages takes it right through the 15 Century, focusing mostly on France and the Netherlands.  

There are a great many English stories that have not been told (or told well) on film. I would like to see a film about the White Ship disaster (1120) and the death of William Adelin, son of Henry I. His death led to the war between Stephen and Matilda, a devastating period which led to the reign of Henry II. Another film should be made about William Marshal, the knight who served kings from Henry II, his son Henry, Richard, John, and Henry III.  If Henry II's son Henry had not died of dysentery in a battle against his father and brother Richard, history would have been spared the reigns of Richard I and John, which may have altered the course of Errol Flynn's career!

mqdefault.jpg

16324944435_0697acf80c_b.jpg

Must remember JABBERWOCKY (1977-UK).

I've seen "Jabberwocky" four times.  It's admittedly not a classic comedy or medieval masterpiece . . . but it's not bad.  I love the dark and disgustingly dirty castle.  And the tan lines on the nude princess are a nice touch.  I enjoyed "Jabberwocky" more the 2nd and 3rd time I watched it.  Go figure. 

• Like 1

Hmmm.  I wonder... if we started a Go-Fund-Me  do you think we could raise enough lettuce to produce the movie "White Ship Disaster?"  Would it cost a lot to AI Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, and Basil Rathbone?  There's gotta be some talented folks around here; why I'll bet these boards are just lousy with film geniuses who could get this thing done!

Just a thought, anyway.

13 hours ago, brianNH said:

Hmmm.  I wonder... if we started a Go-Fund-Me  do you think we could raise enough lettuce to produce the movie "White Ship Disaster?"  Would it cost a lot to AI Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, and Basil Rathbone?  There's gotta be some talented folks around here; why I'll bet these boards are just lousy with film geniuses who could get this thing done!

Just a thought, anyway.

Using the term "AI" loosely here to describe "organic expression"...I am not talking about some Lucas or "deepfake" BS.  Basically at this point I wouldn't be interested in "classic movies done with AI" for two reasons.  One is that it would take an unlikely "meeting of the minds" between those who have or who have been given the technology, and then those who care about older movies for their intrinsic historical value.  The other is that the amount of historical revisionism and socially divisive propaganda imputed to other times and even to our own, the flavor of the month as some might say, would be literally through the roof.  So I hope that was just a joke.  😁  Another thought - how do you know "modern movies done with AI" isn't already a thing, and for quite some time.  :o

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, brianNH said:

Just a thought, anyway.

Charles Spencer (bro of Princess Diana) has written a book that could be adapted for the screen. I haven't read it yet, as I've read enough Norman/Plantagenet history for a while. 

They (the young Prince William and his friends) were so confident, it's really a proto-Titanic story. If the Prince hadn't turned back, in his lifeboat, hearing his sister's screams, he would be alive today! Only one of the approx. 300 passengers survived.

51RTAXG80MS._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_

• Like 1

Moviecollector:  Maybe I haven't posted enough around here yet;  but when in doubt, go for the joke.  (You'll know when I'm serious about something.)  But I am sorry I caused you some puzzlement and perhaps a little distress.  

You certainly don't have to sell me on the total horror of using AI somehow to "resurrect" our idols of the past and command new performances out of them against their wills.  A few years ago, there were some commercials that used dead actors to pitch some products -- John Wayne comes to mind first, but there may have been some others.  Completely irreverent and shameful this was.  

Good old Swithin was proposing some doozies of stories that I thought would be fascinating to watch.  So in the spirit of "Hey gang, let's put on a show," I wished to buoy the enthusiasm a bit.  I may have miscalculated a little and caused a whole new "White Ship Disaster."  (I just saw the notice that Swithin posted a reference to a book). So I'll go ahead and take a look at this.

Be not afraid Moviecollector, I love the old movies way too much to see them torn apart, junked for scraps and fodder to be used in new outrageous ways.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, brianNH said:

Good old Swithin was proposing some doozies of stories that I thought would be fascinating to watch.  So in the spirit of "Hey gang, let's put on a show," I wished to buoy the enthusiasm a bit.  I may have miscalculated a little and caused a whole new "White Ship Disaster."  (I just saw the notice that Swithin posted a reference to a book). So I'll go ahead and take a look at this.

Had Prince William Adelin lived, we probably would not have had at least two good films: Becket and The Lion in Winter, because the events that led to the reign of Henry II would not have occurred. It would have changed the course of English history. (Actually, Henry II was a pretty good king.)

• Like 1

THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER (1982) comes to mind. 

THE BEASTMASTER (1982) is sort-of 'medieval'.  Sorta. 

SORCERESS (1982)  The amateur-night dubbing really does the movie no favors.

I think I went to Meridian Mall one afternoon to watch just about anything that day.  (I used to go to movies for that reason long, long ago). I flipped a coin to decide which to sit through and "Beastmaster" won over "Six Pack."  Boy, was I in for a treat based on the outcome of that play at Fate.  By then, the Sword and Sandals fare had started to become frayed around the edges, and "Beastmaster" was pretty frayed.  But I gotta admit it was an absolute hoot to watch --at least you get Rip Torn as a bad guy who takes his job most seriously.

Maybe more in line with Mythic than Medieval, but let's take that up with Swithin -- who seems graciously willing to open doors to some less robustly-leaning tantalizers of the Middle Ages.  They can't all be Adelins and Marshalls, all tucked in amongst the Henry's, Richards, and Johns.  Great storytelling possibilities.

Oh, how but these two:

The Vikings, with Tony Curtis and Kirk Douglas

The Long Ships with Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier.  Close to the end of the period, but this was a favorite of mine growing up watching late night movies on TV.  It showed up quite regularly for a while.  Just often enough to set a young boy's imagination for mythic adventure all awhirl.

RIP TORN is a very nasty villain in THE BEASTMASTER.  I remember his character name:  MAAX. 

"The Beastmaster" was fun.  I've seen it multiple times.  It's kinda/sorta 'medieval'.  Close enough! 

SPOILER:  I remember a ferret -- Marc Singer had two ferrets as pets in the movie -- hastening the demise of the evil Maax.

• Like 1

No one's mentioned Lancelot du Lac, so I will.  I'll also second Excalibur, Perceval, and Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Orson Welles made fourteen feature films.  One was only recently compiled together, so it's not surprising TCM hasn't shown it yet.  One was a documentary about making Othello.  Another was a TV movie, which TCM has shown once (The Immortal Story).  Can someone explain to why, of the remaining eleven features, the one TCM does not regularly show is Macbeth?

• Like 1