Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

favorite broadway shows

i have always been in love with broadway plays and musicals, mostly musicals.

here are my favorites:

1) *Throughly Modern Millie* (Sutton Foster and Gavin Creel)

2) *Mame* (Angela Lansbury and Bea Arthur)

3) *Les Miserables* (Lea Solonga and lots of others on 10th anniversay version)

4) *Phantom of the Opera* (Michaela Crawford and Sarah Brightman)

5) *Anything Goes* (Pattie Lupone)

6) *My Fair Lady* (Julie andrews and Rex Harrison)

7) *Mary Poppins* ( my mother was in a production of Mary Poppins with my grandmother when i was a baby. heehee!)

8) *Funny Girl* (Barbra Streisand)

9) *The Sound of Music* (Mary Martin)

9) *Drowsey Chaperone* (Sutton Foster)

10) *Pajama Game* (John Raitt)

11) *The Lion King*

12) *Gypsy* (Angela Lansbury)

13) *Annie Get Your Gun* (Bernadette Peters)

14) *West Side Story* (Chita Rivera)

15) *Will rogers Follies* (Lary Gatlin)

16) *Fiddler on the Roof* (Zero Mostel and Bea Arthur)

17) *Hello, Dolly!* (Carol Channing)

they are all in my heart forever, and so are the movie versions...well of the ones that were made into movies anyway. heehee!

Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

i only have most of the soundtracks from the originals. i would have loved to see the original versions! oh would that have been a treat! Andrew Lloyd Webber is a msical genius! i looooove his music!

the ones from my list i have gotten to see are Thoroughly Modern Millie, Will Roger's Follies, The Lion King, (Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, both several times!) Mary Poppins, and i am planning on seeing many more! i hope i can see all the ones from my list on Broadway, granted i have seen lots of clips from some of them.

*What about Cats - did you like the songs?*

Cats was always such an unteresting play to watch. but i really like the music in it. Memory is my FAVORITE song from that musical...such a gorgeous song!

this is my favorite version of the song, she gives the song such emotion in her voice and it makes me cry each time i hear it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7IzxRsFjJE

*Have you ever heard the french versions of the Cats songs? You can hear a brief clip if you look up the CD on amazon.fr*

i have heard some parts of the french versions, but not much. i was looking to actually buy that french version soon. i really like all songs from the play though, not just "Memory", although its just amazing!

I prefer musicals of the 40's/50s which was Broadway's golden age, including:

OUT OF THIS WORLD, with a gorgeous Cole Porter score. A big flop though.

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, Schwartz & Dietz score with Shirley Booth. FOX was supposed to film this musical with Marilyn Monroe in the Booth role and earlier played by Joan Blondell in the 40's film version. When Monroe died that ws the end of this project.

PIPE DREAM, lesser Rodgers & Hammerstein score, but still good with Helen Traubel.

NO STRINGS, (Richard Rodgers) with Diahann Carroll and Richard Kiley. FIrst interracial musical. There was talk of a film version, but it never happened.

HOUSE OF FLOWERS, one of Harold Arlen's most beautiful scores with Pearl Bailey and Diahann Carroll.

JAMAICA, another great Arlen score with Lena Horne.

BLOOMER GIRL, Arlen again with Celeste Holm. FOX had an option to film this as a big budget musical with Shirley MacLaine, but after so many flop musicals in the late 60s-70s like HELLO DOLLY, they pulled the plug on this one. Sad. However, there was a TV special in the mid 50's with Barbara Cook and Keith Andes. The Paley museum of TV & Radio has a good copy of this show.

ST. LOUIS WOMAN, another haunting Arlen score. MGM was supposed to do a film version with Ava Gardner. Sadly this never happened.

Hello, dahlink!

I would love to have seen *Gigi* and *My Fair Lady* with Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison,

respectively. However, I am more partial to straight plays, and particularly comedies by the

likes of Kauffman and Hart.

i have heard some parts of the french versions, but not much. i was looking to actually buy that french version soon. i really like all songs from the play though, not just "Memory", although its just amazing!

I actually wouldn't mind buying that myself!! B-)

*I would love to have seen Gigi and My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison,*

*respectively. However, I am more partial to straight plays, and particularly comedies by the*

*likes of Kauffman and Hart.*

hey dahlink!

which of the straight plays do you like best? i love Kauffman and Hart too!

Bonjour, dahlink!

I like comedies best, so here is a list of some of my favorites:

You Can't Take it With You (Kauffman/Hart)

The Man Who Came to Dinner (would love to have seen Alexander Woolcott in this)

The Philadelphia Story (Philip Barry)

Holiday (Philip Barry)

Sabrina (Samuel Taylor)

Private Lives (Noel Coward)

Barefoot in the Park (Neil Simon)

bonjour mon soeur joli!

*You Can't Take it With You (Kauffman/Hart)*

*The Man Who Came to Dinner (would love to have seen Alexander Woolcott in this)*

*The Philadelphia Story (Philip Barry)*

*Holiday (Philip Barry)*

*Sabrina (Samuel Taylor)*

*Private Lives (Noel Coward)*

*Barefoot in the Park (Neil Simon)*

GREAT LIST!!! i love those plays, especially The Philadelphia Story. i would have looooved to see Kate in the broadway production of that story! Noel Coward was a great playwright! one of my favorites! *Bitter Sweet*(operetta), *Words and Music*, *Sail Away*, and *Fallen Angels* are some of my favorites of his. i wouldnt mind seeing sabrina on the stage! oh my!

i forgot some of my favorites(musicals mixed with plays):

Coco(Kate Hepburn)

Woman of the Year(Betty Bacall)

Dance of Death(Helen Mirren and Ian Mckellen)

Auntie Mame(Greer Garson!)

Anthony and Cleopatra(Helen Mirren and Alan Rickman)

Orpheus Descending(Helen Mirren and Stuart townsend)

Madame Bovary(Helen Mirren)

helen mirren was in 3 different versions of anthony and Cleopatra on the stage!!!

Message was edited by: butterscotchgreer

There was a movie on yesterday with Jessie Matthews and I think it was entitled

Sailing Along, I wonder if it was the same as Noel Coward's play? Probably not

though there were some musical numbers.

There was so much wit and originality in plays back then. S.N. Behrman is another

terrific playwrite who wrote for Lunt and Fontanne, two performers I'd love to have seen

in their prime. He also worked on many screenplays, including Gary's *The Cowboy and the Lady*.

actually *Sail Away* was a musical play by Noel Coward.

Act I

"Come to Me"

"Sail Away"

"Where Shall I Find Him?"

"Beatnik Love Affair"

"Later Than Spring"

"The Passenger?s Always Right"

"Useless, Useful Phrases"

"Go Slow, Johnny"

"You?re a Long, Long Way from America"

Act II

"The Customer?s Always Right"

"Something Very Strange"

"The Little Ones? ABC"

"Don?t Turn Away from Love"

"When you Want Me"

"Why Do the Wrong People Travel"

i dont think *Sailing Along* is based on *Sail Away*, but it may be. i missed it when it was on TCM.

I've seen a lot of Broadway shows. My favorites are *My Fair Lady*, which I saw a few times, but I only like the Moss Hart productions. I saw it with Julie Andrews and Alec Clune, and Sally Ann Howes and Edward Mulhare. Also, *How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying*, with Robert Morse, Michele Lee and Rudy Vallee. Excellent show. And, even though they were all in the film version, as well, it wasn't as good. The film cut 1/2 the songs (most of Lee's numbers), and fooled too much with the Pulitzer Prize-winning script. *Ragtime*, *1776*, *Seesaw*, *No No Nanette* and *The Mystery of Edwin Drood* are all musicals that I thought were superb. As for non-musicals, I loved *The Miracle Worker* (which was the very first non-musical play I saw on Broadway). Other favorites are *Barefoot in the Park*, *And Miss Reardon Drinks a Little*, *The Belle of Amhurst*, *The Gingerbread Lady*, *Wait Until Dark*, *Noises Off*, many more.