Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Best Catfight

Guest steiner, richard

Guest steiner, richard

Ok, we all know Bette Davis is THE best at catfights, right? What films come to mind as having some of the best all around bonafide catfight scenes?

I nominate the scene with Paulette Goddard and Rosalind Russell beating the crap out of one another on the dude rance in Reno in THE WOMEN. I love it where Rosalind, as "Sylvia Fowler" bites Goddard on the leg! I also get a kick out of Marjorie Main's comments on the fight, "Aw, let them enjoy themselves!" Now this was a good catfight!

Guest steiner, r

Both excellent suggestions - Destry has to be right up there, if only for the sheer duration of that fight sequence (it must go on for 3 or 4 minutes). And what an ending. I just recently saw a minor film noir with Sheila Ryan and Jane Randolph which had a great catfight - complete with a sneering John Ireland looking on with immense pleasure! Hard to think of others though...

Guest Dan, Coffee

It's not really a catfight, but a kind of acting duel between Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins in THE OLD MAID. They didn't get along in real life, and it's kind of fun to see which one can leave the most teeth marks in the scenery (I'd give the edge to Miriam).

Guest r, cyndi

There is only one cat fight that really stands out in my mind, and that's the fight between Shirley McLain, and Ann Bancroft in "The Turning Point" From the first drink in the face all the way to the fountain...WOW!!!

Does anyone remember the Saloon fight in the film "Frenchie" (1950)? I believe it was between Shelley Winters and Marie Windsor although Elsa Lanchester was also in the film.

• 3 weeks later...

I know, I know...this isn't a cat fight, but I love the scene in THE QUIET MAN where "Will Danaheur" and "Sean Thornton" go at it. I always smile as they fight their way into the town pub, have a beer, and then go back at it!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Klemick, Tom

The best fight that I saw in a movie wasn't really a catfight but I think the fight between Sean Thornton and Will Danaheur was the best!

Guest mongo

It's funny you mention that great fight since "The Quiet Man" (1952) is showing right now on TCM. So I am ready to see John Wayne and Victor McLaglen go at it. Good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Danaheur was Victor McLaglen? WOW--I didn't recognize him. I just love this movie. It's my favorite John Wayne flick, and it agree that it's the best fight ever filmed.

• 2 months later...
Guest finnie, moira

Best catfight? Blanche Yurka, as Madame De Farge versus Edna May Oliver as Miss Pross in the 1935 "A Tale of Two Cities"...Yahhh, Edna! Miss Pross protects the Darnay family as they escape from Paris by literally tackling the woman she calls "Lucifer's wife". Ms. Yurka also gave a full-blooded portrait of a woman whose spirit was twisted by the evil society she lived in--check her out in the courtroom scene when Charles Darnay is almost acquitted. What an actress!

• 13 years later...

I must wonder if there is a movie which truly shows two actual felines fighting. I know of several stories which contain such but I am at a loss to think of a single movie where cats do more than snarl at each other.

Not quite as old as this thread.

I know of dog-years and cat-years but I am sorry to say that I do not know of Internet-post-years. Is this thread of sufficient age to drink or buy cigarettes?

I like the cat fight between Lucille Ball and Maureen O'Hara in Dance, Girl, Dance.  The fight leaves Lucy's character, Tiger Lily/Bubbles, with scratches on her back and a black eye. 

dance-girl-dance-fight.JPG

I'm laughing right now because this thread was started while I was still in high school--senior year in fact.  Lol. 

• Haha 1