Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Best Catfight

Guest steiner, richard

The genre of women in prison movies always have super catfights. Look for films like "Caged", "Chained Heat", "The Big Doll House", "Women in Prison", "Reform School Girls" or anything with Mamie Van Doren like "Girls Town".

• Like 3

In FOREVER.AMBER, Linda Darnell gets into a fight with Margaret Wycherly, who plays a nurse who is supposed to treat Cornel Wilde, Linda's true love, for the bubonic plague. Instead, Wycherly decides to strangle him in order to steal his gold watch. Darnell wakes up in time to pull her off and fight for her man. She ends up killing the nurse, and has her removed as another plague victim.

Two other catfights had been.scripted and/or filmed.for FA. Each had her fighting with another woman, who take offense when their respective.men pay more attention to Amber when she arrives at their workplace. One is in the den of thieves, over highwayman John.Russell, the other in the royal theater company, over Captain Glenn Langan.

Neither actress in the catfight got a credit, as the parts were eliminated, in the former, or.severely pared back to the role of.extra, in the latter. This was in an attempt to cut the perceived lengthy running time.

• Like 2
  • 5 years later...

I like older films where the decor/dress style etc don't scream "fight coming" 

One I have not seen mentioned yet is between Jane Wyman and Alexis Smith from the 1951 movie "Here Comes the Groom". I am pretty sure stunt women may have been used for part of it but the action is different and the suddenness of it and the fact that both women are dressed formally adds to the attraction for me. It is slightly out of sync so my apologies. 

Not exactly a catfight, but watching Bette Davis kick the hell out of a crippled Joan Crawford in WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE? certainly proved that Bette could fight with the best of them.

Though to be fair to Blanche (Crawford), it really wasn't a fair showdown since she was paralyzed from the waist down.....then again....

(SPOILER ALERT) Had she not tried to kill Jane in the first place, Blanche wouldn't have been in that predictament in the first place.

On 12/8/2015 at 1:06 PM, Arturo said:

If it hasn't been mentioned, how about the tussle between.Joan Crawford.and.Mercedes.McCambridge in JOHNNY GUITAR? Joan.seems to have involved in quite.a few of these in her long.career.

This is the film I was planning on posting until I read this;   Yea,  I would say Crawford was in more tussles than Davis.   Not necessarily the physical kind but psychological. 

Cinematic Irony: The Strange Case of Nicholas Ray's Johnny Guitar –  Nonsite.orgJohnny Guitar - Great Western Movies

• Like 1

I still get a kick out of watching Ado Annie (Gloria Grahame) and Gertie (Barbara Lawrence) duke it out after Gertie and Annie's man Will (Gene Nelson) lock lips.

Gertie knocking Annie off her feet with her umbrella is a real hoot.

I think there's an Ed Wood or Steckler movie where two girls fight and then there's a quick cut of cats scratching each other. Both filmmakers had issues with women.

Would this count?

Stunt women extraordinaire Sandra Gimpel did a wonderful interview for the Television Academy Foundation recounting this scene:

• Like 1