Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Platinum Blonde

smokey15

Did anyone see "Platinum Blonde" this morning on TCM? It is one of Frank Capra's early efforts; a great early screwball comedy. It's too bad they chose to air it early in the morning. A movie such as this by the great director should have received a prime time viewing. But I'm happy they aired it!

I missed TCM's presentation of PLATINUM BLONDE,however, I bought a copy on DVD several years ago. I liked the film, Loretta Young is very good as Gallagher, and Jean Harlow was much better in this one than she was in HELL'S ANGELS (1930). It's a shame that Robert Williams died shortly after the release of this film. He more than likely would have been a star.

• 2 weeks later...

I caught this one on my VCR many years ago--accidentially! What a lucky break! Loretta Young is wonderful in this one, and is much more beautiful (in my opinion) than Jean Harlow. Sometimes in her early roles Jean has a "hard" look, which is fine if you're playing a "dame," but in this one she plays a society girl, and she doesn't really look the part.

The one who I get a big kick out of is the actress who plays the mother, Mrs. Schyler. Is that Louise Closser Hale? Anyway, she's a riot!

Message was edited by: alix1929

Even though I love Jean Harlow I do agree that in her earlier years she had a "hard look" to her. I really liked the way she looked in her last few years; she was toned down and her natural beauty was allowed to shine thru.

I also enjoyed watching Louise Closser Hale in this movie. I had wondered why I don't see or hear much of her. I went to the Internet Movie Database and found out that she died in 1933 at the age of 60; the cause of her death was listed as heat prostration (whatever that is). It's a shame that she died so early. She had her own unique brand of humor as did Marie Dressler and May Robson.

How sad Ms. Hale died so early! She was wonderful in her pre-Code films! Not being a medical person, I wonder if "heat prostration" is the same thing as being overcome by the heat...? Maybe someone w/a medical background can fill us in. I wonder what the circumstances of her "heat prostration" were?

Back to PLATINUM BLONDE...I love it when Ann Schulyer Stew Smith sing the "garter" song to each other. So cute, and horribly off key. They look like they're really having fun with it. Kinda makes me wonder if it was an ad-lib that turned out well, and was left in.

Archived