Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Charles Laughton SOTM?

Guest dredagain

Actually, the SOTM doesn't always make the cover of Now Playing - I have been getting the magazine for some years and it seems like 3 or 4 times a year the SOTM is not the cover photo.

Just this year alone, we have:

Hedy Lamarr - SOTM for April - not on the cover of Now Playing

Rosalind Russell - SOTM for July - not on the cover of Now Playing

Charles Laughton -SOTM for November - not on the cover of Now Playing

Joseph Cotten - SOTM for December - not on the cover of Now Playing

It's not anything personal against Laughton, I don't think. I happens fairly regularly.

*Since Charles Laughton is the SOTM for November 2008, TCM is screening a total of 18 Laughton movies in all!*

The rest of Charles Laughton's November 2008 film schedule for TCM. All times are Eastern check local listings!

Mon, Nov 24, 8:00 PM _The Paradine Case_

Mon, Nov 24, 10:15 PM _Witness for the Prosecution_

Tue, Nov 25, 12:15 AM _The Bribe_

Tue, Nov 25, 2:00 AM _Salome_

Charles Laughton is "the star of ANY month" as far as I am concerned.

Genius actor.

One of my favorite roles of his is in the movie, "The Suspect"(1944), co-starring Ella Raines.

On the edge of your seat suspense. If you are a fan and have not seen this, you are in

for a treat.

I love him in Witness for the Prosecution, myself. It takes a heck of a great actor to steal the show out from under Tyrone Power and Marlene Dietrich.

I will say that I don't buy in the slightest the assertion that they didn't put him on the cover because they thought him less photogenic. I mean, if that was their sole criteria for putting people on the cover of Now Playing, I cannot even begin to imagine why they put Gene Wilder and Alec Baldwin on the cover back in April, rather than SOTM Hedy Lamarr.

*"Charles Laughton is "the star of ANY month" as far as I am concerned."* - Bargar

Agreed.

I haven't seen *The Suspect* but I am intrigued. I was hoping to catch a showing of *The Big Clock* this month but, alas, it was not to be. I've only seen it once but I enjoyed it immensely. I really would like to see it again.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=68644

Yea! The database page has *The Big Clock* listed for showing in January. I can wait.

Kyle In Hollywood

I've been enjoying Mr. Laughton's month as well. I've seen a lot of the films already but I do like catching the new ones. I thought he was really good in *Payment Deferred.* I'll have to seek out *The Suspect* it sounds like my kind of movie. Also looking forward to *The Big Clock.* I've always wanted to see *The Tuttles of Tahiti.* *The Canterville Ghost,* *Witness for the Prosecution,* and *Mutiny on the Bounty* are all faves of mine.

*_Charles Laughton's Best films:_*

The Barretts of Wimpole Street

Spartacus

Mutiny on the Bounty

The Hunchback of Notre Dame

The Canterville Ghost

Captain Kidd (1945)

The Paradine Case - directed by Alfred Hitchcock!

The Bribe

O. Henry's Full House (1952)

Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd - Charles Laughton reprised his role as the infamous pirate from the 1945 film "Captain Kidd".

The Night of the Hunter (1955) (Director)

hlyw....Hopefully, you will be able to see "The Suspect" some time. "The Big Clock"

is terrific. It has become a little joke in our house. When I don't know what to watch,

my husband says there is always "T.B.C." and he is right! ;)

ARE WE NOT MEN ? Is the question of the day in Island of Lost Souls

next time it's on pay special attention to Katherine Burke as Lota The

panther woman..her performance will take you off-guard because she

plays Lota so gently she arrouses sympathy with a one dimensional

charactor.. but Laughton steals the film as the Doctor..Superb!

And the "House of Pain"...you'd think Moreau would use anesthetics on those poor creatures. I never understood why Bela took the role of leader of the manimals, though. Yes, Kathleen was memorable as Lola!

I remember when she's sitting next to Richard Arlen and getting, well....aroused, and there's Moreau in the corner lasciviously pleased that his newest creation is responding like a woman.