Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AFI's 100yrs...100 Songs"-(upcoming June special)

spencerl964

This article/post is dedicated to ML & Mongo, due to the fact they are really getting-into this new special in the American Film Institute's-(now too-many in my own view) Annual "100yrs series!" It will be broadcast in June of this year & being a card-carrying member-(at lowest-level), I did cast a lil' vote in 1st few of these. But this 1 is not particularly my dish. I love Music Scores over Songs. Especially in this era of cinema!

I think it's marvelous however they are compiling own favs!-(hope it's ok to let others know you guys?) & was gonna' just submit my top 5 favs. of all-time on here only:

By the way, the majority of cinephiles reading this are likely aware "Singin' In the Rain" (1952) was previously used in a 1930's musical. But, there is still no excuse for the ACADEMY ignoring that wonderful flick, for the most part-(Jean Hagen was nominated & deserved to win, but thats about it) Most film historins cite previous yrs. surprise winner: *"An American in Paris," for Tinsel-Town ignoring the former.

My own personal 5 favorite Movie-Music Songs:

1. "As Time Goes By" from *"Casablanca" (1943)-(P.S. I'm not certain it was written specifically for the movie though?)

2. "The Way We Were" from same (1973)-(ACADEMY Record Holder: *Marvin Hamlisch set a record for this yr. winning 3 OSCARS himself. Also from this flix score & *"The Sting," and it's adapted-scoring)

3. "When You Wish Upon a Star" from "Pinocchio" (1940)-(It won for it's scoring & this song as well. By the way *Spielberg adored this since childhood & next time you happen to catch his "Close Encounters," wait for all of final credits & you can hear this theme!)

4. "Baby 0' Mine" from "Dumbo" (1941)

5. "0ver the Rainbow" from "Wizard of 0z" (1939)-(NOTE: I'll wager this takes #1 spot in that special)

And, given *"The Chairman: Frank Sinatra"-(1915-98) Is among my only #2 Idols. I know someone will know this one. What 2 songs/films did his vocals win the gold for???

And to Holly,etc I know that last question will spark your interest! & Thank You to all (P.S. I can't wait to see the superb compilation you put together>ML/Mongo!)

Spence--I think your list is correct & I think As Time Goes By will the the number 1 choice & Rainbow will probably be #2. There are two that aren't on the list that I wish were. A Time for Us (Theme from Zefferelli's Romeo & Juliet) & I'm So Lonesome I could Cry (from the Hank Williams biopic Your Cheatin Heart). I realize that the Zefferelli film is Italian produced so that why it's not on the list & the Hank Williams song was just one of his songs included in the movie. But those two songs have stayed with me almost all my life and conveyed such melancholy.

That being said my favorite kitschy song on the list is Beach Blanket Bingo--best song in all the Beach Party movies which I admit are guilty pleasures for me. "Beach Blanket Bingo, Beach Blanket Bingo, Beach Blanket Bingo--That's the name of the game" LOL

Hello Spencer! Always good to see you here. I'm still busily compiling my list. As you might expect, my problem isn't with coming up with 100 favorite songs from the movies, but in whittling it down to 100!

I can't tell you (yet) who my top-five are, or which song I'm picking as "Best Song of the Century"...not while Mongo and I are having our little joint contest with the AFI picks. ;)

And, although I know which of Sinatra's songs took the Oscar, I'm not going to say because I'd really like to get others from our membership involved in this thread. So, take a stab at it people!

Have a great weekend, Spencer!

ML

Now, I'll have to admit I looked this up on the AMPAS website (I did know the other one) but the other Sinatra song to win Best Song was "All the Way" from the Joker is Wild. I just can't let a challenge pass me by. (LOL)

nice job Bracken!

And I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who taps my foot to beach blanket bingo... :o

(oh and spencer: your choice of "Baby of Mine" from Dumbo is absolutely terrific! I haven't seen that film since I was a kid, but I remember crying... no, BAWLING everytime that song came up in the film. And me being notoriously sentimental as I am, I'm sure I would still cry my eyes out...)

One of the most beautiful versions of "Baby Mine" that I have (Bette Midler's version in "Beaches" is nice, too) is on a CD that I have called "The Best of Country Sings the Best of Disney"...and the only reason that I got it was because of "Baby Mine" as sung by Alison Krauss. I hope you can find and hear it someday. ;) ML

To me pal & fellow cinema fanatic>classicsfan119>ML & also Mongo as well, thanks to you guys & the rest for input of course. Most normal sites only want to speak of newest silly nonsense being released-(I know I review new flix too, but always come back to the heavyweights!) Perfect example on the former comment>"Hellboy," lead weekend B.O.? & though I'm not a fan of Jim Carrey, his newest flick "Eternal Sunshine," is doing lousy-(I am a fan of Kate Winslet though, to say the least!) & the movie, weird as it is, is at least terrificly original. But, those 2 *Sinatra Songs were the answer! Matter of fact, he & "Rat Pack," kinda' used "High Hopes,' as a political anthym for JFK,etc That is until RFK thought they were bad for his image of course? And ML, the other No. from "Beaches," deserved a nomination. "Wings Beneath My Wings" It was not though. Leonard Maltin cites '78's "Last Dance" from "Thank God It's Friday," as the worst movie to ever win an OSCAR! & I'm inclined to agree with the guy. Great to see folks pix though. & I can't wait to see both yours & Mongo's as well! I'm no fan, I used to like her, but not her music-(when she looked more like a LADY anyway) (TRIVIA: What are the 2 Madonna-(1958-) Songs that also won the gold? And this 1 will be a breeze for you fans. Whom dubbed Natalie's singing in *"West Side Story"-(she really desperately wanted it to be her voice though) Thanks

"Last Dance" may be from the worst film to ever receive an Oscar, but I just love that song (ducking to avoid tomatoes & stuff being thrown at me!) I think "Wind beneath my Wings" was not specifically written for Beaches but I'm not sure.

BTW--I love y'all. I love discussing movies and stars and this is the greatest forum I've found. I wish I were more articulate. Some of you have fascinating things to say. I just feel inadequate.

Some of my favorites:

If I Only Had Brain (not sure if thats the title)

Over the Rainbow

I Sing the Body Electric (Fame)

The Quintet? In West Side Story (With the Sharks, Jets, Anita, Maria, & Tony)

Cool (West Side Story)

Heck all the songs from West Side Story

Ballad of the Alamo (The Alamo)

Almost all the Disney songs

There are more but these are off the top of my head for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Here would be my ballot of the top 100 (in alphabetical order):

It was really difficult, at least for me, once I culled the list to about 120 or so. At that point, the only way I could narrow the list to 100 was to think about the importance of the song itself in the film (e.g. how deeply ingrained in my mind is the scene in the film which features the song?). This made it easier to eliminate some songs whose melodies are familiar but that didn't conjure up the film itself, which is what I think the point of this list is, ultimately.

America WEST SIDE STORY (1961)

Animal Crackers in My Soup CURLY TOP (1935)

Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better) ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (1950)

As Time Goes By CASABLANCA (1942)

The Bare Necessities THE JUNGLE BOOK (1967)

Be Our Guest BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1991)

Big Spender SWEET CHARITY (1969)

Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B BUCK PRIVATES (1941)

Born Free BORN FREE (1966)

Born To Be Wild EASY RIDER (1969)

Camelot CAMELOT (1967)

The Candy Man WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (1971)

Cheek to Cheek TOP HAT (1935)

Circle of Life THE LION KING (1994)

Coal Miner's Daughter COAL MINER'S DAUGHTER (1980)

Consider Yourself OLIVER! (1968)

Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

Do Re Mi THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965)

Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes, A CINDERELLA (1950)

Evergreen (Love Theme from A Star is Born) A STAR IS BORN (1976)

Fame FAME (1980)

What a Feeling FLASHDANCE (1983)

For Your Eyes Only FOR YOUR EYES ONLY (1981)

Get Happy SUMMER STOCK (1950)

Getting to Know You THE KING AND I (1956)

Gigi GIGI (1958)

Give My Regards to Broadway LITTLE JOHNNY JONES (1929)

Gonna Fly Now ROCKY (1976)

Hakuna Matata THE LION KING (1994)

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944)

Hello, Dolly! HELLO, DOLLY! (1969)

Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darlin HIGH NOON (1952)

I Could Have Danced All Night MY FAIR LADY (1964)

I Got Rhythm AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (1951)

I Remember it Well GIGI (1958)

If I Only Had A Brain/Heart/The Nerve THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

If I Were A Rich Man FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (1971)

If My Friends Could See Me Now SWEET CHARITY (1969)

Jailhouse Rock JAILHOUSE ROCK (1957)

Jeepers Creepers GOING PLACES (1938)

Let's Call the Whole Thing Off SHALL WE DANCE (1937)

Live and Let Die LIVE AND LET DIE (1973)

Make 'Em Laugh SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)

Moon River BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S (1961)

Mrs. Robinson THE GRADUATE (1967)

My Favorite Things THE SOUND OF MUSIC (1965)

New York, New York ON THE TOWN (1949)

9 To 5 9 TO 5 (1980)

Nobody Does It Better THE SPY WHO LOVED ME (1977)

Oh, What A Beautiful Mornin' OKLAHOMA! (1955)

Oklahoma! OKLAHOMA! (1955)

Ol' Man River SHOW BOAT (1936)

Old Time Rock And Roll RISKY BUSINESS (1983)

On Broadway ALL THAT JAZZ (1979)

On the Good Ship Lollipop BRIGHT EYES (1934)

One A CHORUS LINE (1985)

Over the Rainbow THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

People FUNNY GIRL (1968)

The Power of Love BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985)

Put On A Happy Face BYE BYE BIRDIE (1963)

Put the Blame on Mame GILDA (1946)

Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (1969)

Rock Around the Clock BLACKBOARD JUNGLE (1955)

Seventy-Six Trombones THE MUSIC MAN (1962)

Shout NATIONAL LAMPOON'S ANIMAL HOUSE (1978)

Singin' in the Rain SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)

Some Day My Prince Will Come SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (1937)

Some Enchanted Evening SOUTH PACIFIC (1958)

Somewhere Out There AN AMERICAN TAIL (1986)

Stayin' Alive SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER (1977)

Suicide is Painless M*A*S*H (1970)

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious MARY POPPINS (1964)

Swinging on a Star GOING MY WAY (1944)

Talk to the Animals DOCTOR DOLITTLE (1967)

Thank Heaven for Little Girls GIGI (1958)

Thanks for the Memory THE BIG BROADCAST OF 1938 (1938)

Theme from Shaft SHAFT (1971)

There's No Business Like Show Business ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (1950)

They Can't Take That Away From Me SHALL WE DANCE (1937)

(I've Had) The Time of My Life DIRTY DANCING (1987)

The Time Warp THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (1975)

Tomorrow ANNIE (1982)

Tonight WEST SIDE STORY (1961)

The Trolley Song MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS (1944)

Under the Sea THE LITTLE MERMAID (1989)

Up Where We Belong AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN (1982)

Way We Were, The THE WAY WE WERE (1973)

The Way You Look Tonight SWING TIME (1936)

We're in the Money GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 (1933)

Whatever Lola Wants DAMN YANKEES (1958)

Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera) THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956)

When You Wish Upon A Star PINOCCHIO (1940)

Whistle While You Work SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS (1937)

White Christmas HOLIDAY INN (1942)

Wilkommen CABARET (1972)

The Windmills of Your Mind THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (1968)

The Yankee Doodle Boy YANKEE DOODLE DANDY (1942)

You're The One That I Want GREASE (1978)

You've Got a Friend in Me TOY STORY (1995)

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah SONG OF THE SOUTH (1947)

Path just to let you know that your list of 100 songs is astounding. The funny thing is that my top 100 list has about 50 songs that are different than yours.

It goes to show you that variety is the spice of life.

It should be fun comparing our list with the choices made on the AFI show on CBS in June.

Mongo

Thanks for the feedback Mongo. I did the same thing last year before the 100 Heroes/Villains show and did pretty well. Of course, if you compare my list to what will most likely be submitted by this year's participants, I probably didn't pick as many this time 'cause I pretty much eliminated any song from a film in the past 20 years or so (except the Lion King songs). I think they'll be a lot of those songs I automatically dismissed in what AFI shows us in June.

That's a helluva list, Path40a. :D

I never knew "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" was in a movie, but it's always been one of my favorite songs. I remember "Circle Of Life" being in the same Oscar category as "Can You Feel The Love Tonight?" from the same movie, The Lion King, and the latter song won. I always thought "Circle Of Life" was better. And I'd also like to add "Sweet Transvestite" from Rocky Horror Picture Show, too! ;)

And here's a few off the top of my head that I think are vital to the movies they're in:

"An American Symphony" from Mr. Holland's Opus

"Grace Of My Heart" from Grace Of My Heart

"My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic

"A View To A Kill" from A View To A Kill (James Bond)

"Smile" from Chaplin

"Take My Breath Away" from Top Gun

> Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B BUCK PRIVATES

> (1941)

> Born To Be Wild EASY RIDER (1969)

> Circle of Life THE LION KING (1994)

> Fame FAME (1980)

> What a Feeling FLASHDANCE (1983)

> Gonna Fly Now ROCKY (1976)

> I Got Rhythm AN AMERICAN IN PARIS (1951)

> Live and Let Die LIVE AND LET DIE (1973)

> Make 'Em Laugh SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (1952)

> Mrs. Robinson THE GRADUATE (1967)

> 9 To 5 9 TO 5 (1980)

> Old Time Rock And Roll RISKY BUSINESS (1983)

> Over the Rainbow THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

> The Power of Love BACK TO THE FUTURE (1985)

> Rock Around the Clock BLACKBOARD JUNGLE (1955)

> Somewhere Out There AN AMERICAN TAIL (1986)

> Stayin' Alive SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER (1977)

> Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious MARY POPPINS

> (1964)

> (I've Had) The Time of My Life DIRTY DANCING (1987)

> The Time Warp THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (1975)

> Tomorrow ANNIE (1982)

> Up Where We Belong AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN (1982)

> Way We Were, The THE WAY WE WERE (1973)

> Whatever Will Be, Will Be (Que Sera, Sera) THE MAN

> WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956)

> When You Wish Upon A Star PINOCCHIO (1940)

> You're The One That I Want GREASE (1978)

harlowkeatongirl--I noticed you didn't have "As Time Goes By" on your list. I've mentioned this before on this topic but I don't think there's been a song more identified with a movie than this one. I expect this to be number one on the list. Not that it's my favorite, coz it's not, but it's still a great song and as popular as "Casablanca" is, I just feel like the all star, blue ribbon panel (whoever they are) will pick this one.

Man, you gals & guys really went to the wall on this one ****-stars!

& as I had noted, to both ML & Mongo-(cannot wait to see list) & although she's obviously not in the realm of *"The Chairman-Sinatra" The 2 Best 0riginal-Songs that went to a Madonna # 1990 "Dick Tracy"-("Sooner or Later") & 1996's "Evita"-("You Must Love Me")

& to HOLLY, be well in NYC! See ya'

Oh, HKG, I saw you chose "Take My Breath Away" for Top Gun. I know that's the song most associated w/that movie, but I hate it! Ugh! "Danger Zone" is where it's at! :D ;-)

Okay....I've given this some thought and here's what I've come up with so far (in no particular order)....

Ain't Too Proud To Beg -- THE BIG CHILL (1983)

Amazing Grace -- SILKWOOD (1983)

I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow -- O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? (2000)

The Way You Look Tonight -- SWING TIME (1936)

Animal Crackers in My Soup -- CURLY TOP (1935)

As Time Goes By -- CASABLANCA (1942)

Aquarius -- HAIR (1979)

Born To Be Wild -- EASY RIDER (1969)

Call Me -- AMERICAN GIGOLO (1980)

Cheek to Cheek -- TOP HAT (1935)

Dude (Looks Like A Lady) -- MRS. DOUBTFIRE (1993)

The End -- APOCALYPSE NOW (1979)

Werewolves Of London -- THE COLOR OF MONEY (1986)

Up Where We Belong -- AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN (1982)

Think -- THE BLUES BROTHERS (1980)

Theme from Shaft -- SHAFT (1971)

Some Enchanted Evening -- SOUTH PACIFIC (1958)

Let's Call the Whole Thing Off -- SHALL WE DANCE (1937)

Stella By Starlight -- THE UNINVITED (1944)

If I Only Had A Brain/Heart/The Nerve --THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939)

Puttin' on the Ritz -- YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (1974)

Stormy Weather -- STORMY WEATHER (1943)

Tears in Heaven -- RUSH (1991)

White Christmas -- HOLIDAY INN (1942)

Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing -- LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING (1955)

Oh, and I'm with you Antar....."Danger Zone" rocks!! :D

More later.......

~*~Stella~*~

Archived