Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AFI's 100yrs...100 Songs"-(upcoming June special)

spencerl964

That's just nuts. Insanity. Ludacrous. However you spell that last word. :P

Speaking of Kenny, he and his wife wrote a book called "The Unimaginable Life."

Here's a profile from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0380975319/qid=1082319620/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-8678596-7720714?v=glance&s=books

It's supposed to be a serious look at their lives together, but I have from good sources that a laugh a minute. I haven't read it (yet!) but I heard from other people that if you really want to laugh your booty off, every other page has a winning line in it.

And now back to the subject at hand ;) .....

Stella your picks are interesting, I have a few of them on my list which I'm still working on. It's tough choosing 100 songs out of 400. There are just 8 of them I'm still diddling with.

Mongo

Mmkay someone has issues... (raises eyebrows at some posts below), LOL...

But another one I forgot to mention is "Lose Yourself" from 8 Mile. I'm sure a lot of people will probably hate that one but I think it's a great song. It's one of only two songs I like by Eminem (the other being "Stan" because of it's poignancy in regard to obsessive fans). It's probably the only positive-minded song he's ever put out. I think it's great and completely deserved the Oscar.

I don't wanna disagree w/ya any more, so I'm not gonna voice how I feel about "Lose Yourself" ;-)

But! One song I kinda like that I bet most all y'all would abhor is Slayer's "Bloodline" from Dracula 2000--a movie I haven't seen, actually (didn't look so great)...

harlowkeatongirl--I'll admit that I like "Lose Yourself" and was glad Eminem won the Oscar--especially considering it was given by Barbra Streisand. You could tell it was eating her up that she had to give it to him (even though he didn't show up.) I didn't even know any of the songs nominated this year, so at least I've heard "Lose Yourself."

BTW I do like Barbra Streisand but she does tend to think a lot of herself and her opinions. LOL

Haha... I don't know much about Babs or anything she stands for on a personal basis. But hey that's cool. Why shouldn't anyone think highly of themselves? That's probably a big reason she's so successful. As long as she doesn't go around disrespecting the opinions of others it's totally cool. Now that would be arrogance.

> harlowkeatongirl--I'll admit that I like "Lose

> Yourself" and was glad Eminem won the

> Oscar--especially considering it was given by Barbra

> Streisand. You could tell it was eating her up that

> she had to give it to him (even though he didn't show

> up.) I didn't even know any of the songs nominated

> this year, so at least I've heard "Lose Yourself."

> BTW I do like Barbra Streisand but she does tend to

> think a lot of herself and her opinions. LOL

I watched her on "Inside the Actors Studio" and came away with the impression that she wasn't arrogant at all. In fact I think I became a bigger fan of hers. She was always talking about her dumb moves, insecurities, and self bashing. It made her "human". She was constantly laughing at herself.

Don't get me wrong--I think Barbra Streisand is a very talented woman and I've loved her singing forever. (Heck, I wanted to BE her when I was in high school and college.) But she does take bashing from others--I guess I shouldn't have jumped on the anti-Babs bandwagon just because the right doesn't like her (I'm a democrat--I should LOVE her, right?)

Anyway, I just remember when she was going to give the Best Song Oscar last year, she opened the envelope and said "Oh my Lord--it's Eminem for Lose Yourself." I just got a big kick out of that, you know, because she's a more traditional type artist and Eminem is----not!!!!! However, "Lose Yourself" was written by Eminem while he was filming "8 Mile" when Curtis Hanson asked him if he could write some kind of theme song for the movie--and he just sat right down and did it. No matter what you think of hip hop and its artists, Eminem's song captured the spirit of his character in the movie. That's why I like it and was glad it won. It probably won't be on the 100 years-100 songs list but harlowkeatongirl brought up the song and I wanted to let her know I really liked it, too.

LOL @ Babs' quote at the Oscars. :P

I can tell you're a fan. I've never wanted to be her, but I can definitely get her appeal to people around the world. She has this aura that just draws you. Her fans seem to adore her... almost more than I've seen any other fan base adore a singer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This show's on in about half an hour so I thought I'd bring this topic to the top so we can discuss it late tonight (not me;- ) or tomorrow. I'm going to try and watch it while it airs, something I usually NEVER do for things on network television. But, I happen to have seen what's on TCM tonight already, so ... I'll try to making through by muting all the commercials!

First impressions, not having had time yet to see if my picks (posted earlier) match up very well with AFI's, are that it was an entertaining show (last night) though it "felt" like there was an over-abundance of more recent songs in films than the classics. Yes, I think (in the end) the classics dominated the top 10-25, but there were a lot of songs I was surprised to see in the top 100 (e.g. Eminem's song!) given what must have been left out.

And, commercials are awful (of course!) but having to view both CBS's AND their local affiliate's logo on the screen throughout the ENTIRE 3 hour show demonstrates (to me, at least;- ) that TCM is not the problem in this regard.

And, after the first sixty were revealed (top 40 left), an AFI spokesperson came on to explain that "if you're mad that one of your favorites is not on the list, or is not high enough, write your friends, write us, complain etc. 'cause the purpose of "us" doing these shows is to expose more folks to the great films we love". Which may explain some of the choices;-)

Although Garland had her fair share of hits last night (including #1 "Over the Rainbow") I was surprised she didn't make the list with "You Made Me Love You" singing to the Gable photograph.

Also missing "Love is a Many-Splendored Thing", "Circle of Life", "Lullaby of Broadway", "Born Free", "All the Way", "Be a Clown", "You'll Never Walk Alone" etc. etc.

And where did "Suicide is Painless" come from? And "Road to Morocco"?, "Ain't to Proud to Beg"?, "Come What May"?

"Springtime for Hitler"? etc.

In any event CBS did a good job and the brief clips were worth the trip.

Mongo

Well, ML, I almost hesitate to post my opinions about the show and selections given your involvement in the show.

What is it that you personally did to help AFI with the show? Do tell;-)

Archived