Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
etmgator

ages of everyone on the board

Hey. I am just curious... How old are people on this board? How many people here have been lucky enough to see many of the classic films on their original big screens? I have had to settle for the rereleases.

There are people of all ages on these boards, especially lately with a lot of young people discovering these great films for the 1st time. I am 50 yo myself, but I've seen posts where some of the people have seen films released in the 40's & 50's upon 1st release. I, myself, have only gotten interested in classic film in the 10 years since TCM has been on the air, although I've always been a film goer from the early 60's (granted the movies I saw when I was young were usually Elvis or Beach Party movies LOL.)

I'm 24 years old. And I know Carley (Littletramplover) is about the same age. The oldest movie I can remember seeing on the big screen is "E.T." :P But I watch very few modern movies. Once in a while one will look interesting enough to catch my eye and I'll go see it, and that's usually only because there's an actor or actress in it that I really like. For example, I probably would've never went to see "Gothika" but Robert Downey Jr. is one of my favorites.

More often than not, though a good Jean Harlow movie or a good old silent is enough to make me happy for a couple hours. :D

I'm gonna be 20 for about another three weeks. Beyond that, I'll be like, hmmm, um, 21 (I guess) for about a year or so.

I guess that i'm in the older generation category.I'll be 70 the 24th of this month and i'm one of the fans who have seen many first releases from the 40's up to present day.

Nice to meet you, "roldfilm". I'm a little ways behind you, but there are still lots of the Classic films that I have yet to see because I only got to see a few when I was still at home during those years. I'm 61, by the way.

ML

classicsfan,

Good to meet you.I spent the first 10 years of life in a small town so there was little to do but watch movies.One of the biggest thrills was seeing the actor Ralph Byrd in person when he was promoting his serial "Dick Tracy".This was around '41 or '42.He's not all that famous,but I have never forgotten that appearence.My taste in movies have changed over the years,but I still like to see the oldies and be able to tell my son,who's also a fan,that I saw many of those films on the big screen.

My favorite movie for many years has been Alfred Hitchcock's VERTIGO. About ten or so years ago my mother got me an original copy of the Chicago Tribune for the day I was born in Chicago, June 26, 1958. Of course, I read every page and was fascinated to see exactly what kind of world I was brought into. Imagine my surprise and pleasure when I got to the movie section and saw that VERTIGO had just been released in Chicago! I'm 45 and I love it! I'm proud to have made it this far!;)

Well, I'm 18 years old and I just got into classic movies a year ago. It's nice to have this forum to chat in, because none of my friends can appreciate any of this. They say to me "How can you watch a movie with no color? No sound? I can't see how you can watch a movie with no sound, and the graphics are so bad! It only comes in Mono sound on the DVD? Those people are sooo melodramatic, its all so unrealistic!" and so on..and so on... In fact, i wish i would've liked old movies a little earlier because my grandpa died 3 years ago, and i happened to be talking to my grandma tonight about how much i love June Allyson and she said "Oh, June Allyson, your grandpa loved her. He thought she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen!" So i wish i would've discovered tcm earlier because i could've actually talked to him about when he went to see old movies, and what he thought about them and so on... It would've been cool. It is nice to talk to some of you who have actually grown up with some of this stuff or have met classic stars in there later years. Anyway, I'm starting to go off about random stuff so I'll leave you guys continue this board for now:)

Well........I'm 40 but I feel older!!......I've always been into the movies and music of the 1920's to 40's....... there is just something about that time period........maybe we have things too easy these days.......maybe it was the depression followed by WW2.....I don't know, I wasn't there but I'll take Louis Armstrong blowing his horn in the late 20's over almost anything I hear today.......and I'll take an old B-movie over almost any new movie every time.........

The day I realized I may have been born in the wrong generation was the day I discovered the original lineup of the mid 1930's to 1944 singing group "The Ink Spots".......an incredible vocal group........well I was all excited and asked my 70 year old parents what they thought of the Ink Spots and their reply was......."Oh honey.......they were before our time".......yikes..

Tom

I'm 23 and like Valvolina none of my friends appreciate the classics but occasionaly I force it upon them so they do get some exposure. Even a few of my brothers friends who visit a lot have watched a few with me and enjoy them, my brother is 20 by the way.

tomagain77,

I read your post.Your parents were probably just pulling your leg.I remember listening to the Ink Spots on the radio and I will turn the big 70 this month[if HE wills it].Im glad to see so many responses from the younger generation.Thats is what makes this site so unique.

I am really suprised to see that there are actually people my age that enjoy the classics! I'm 23 and just started on these boards the other day...If I ever wanted to talk about a great movie I just saw I'd have to go to my mother or grandmother, no my friends 'cause they just didn't understand! This is fantastic!

Hi Tomagain77! "Roldfilm" and I can both relate to The Ink Spots (and equally, The Mills Brothers). There are a great many of us here, and not all of us "elders" who really love the music of the 20's, 30's, and 40's. I'm one of them, having grown up with it in my home on the old 78 rpm records, and radio from dawn to bedtime. And, yes, your grandparents were pulling your leg ;). They must have been very "young at heart", though.

Anyway...if you ever want to talk about the music from those wonderful years, there is a great wealth of it that is found in the movies of those days, and I'd be very happy to discuss it with you (or anyone else with the same interest) anytime. :)

ML

Pixiepink, isn't it wonderful to find out that you're NOT crazy for being in love with classic film? (Despite what our friends may say...) Harlowkeatongirl is 24, I'm 22, and you're right in between us-- so welcome, welcome, welcome! We're all in the same boat ;)

Haha. I forgot to put my age in my original post, huh? Well, I started this thread because I am using this messageboard as a resource for a research paper on memory of the Golden Age of Hollywood and how it has shaped American identity. I am 19 and a sophomore in college. Thanks for all the help guys!

Elizabeth

I am 40 and have been a fan of classic movies since childhood. I saw the silent 'Phantom of the Opera' on PBS when I was 8 or 9 and was completely fascinated by it. I have been a silent film fan ever since. The German Expressionist films of Murnau, Pabst, and Lang are amongst my favorites. I love many other genres/periods, as well. I can't get enough of the pre-code films from the late 20's to 1934. These days, I am mainly a fan of Foreign and Independent films, but still need my fix of the classics.

I am surprised when I speak to my younger co-workers who swear to love film, yet have no history of it and are lost when discussing anything pre-STAR WARS! It is good to see some younger people on this board who are willing to give the classics a chance..........

I am 24 and I have been a classic movie fan for 5 years now. I live in Dallas but for the past few years I have worked in Hollywood. I consider myself a historian of Motion Picture Studios in america.

Hi Studiohistorian! You will make a wonderful addition to our Forums! Please share your knowledge of Motion Picture Studio's in America with us. Studio's during the reign of the Classics were much different than the Studio's of today. Please give us your thoughts about this. :) ML

I turned 46 last December, and my mother swears my love of old movies must be pre-natal.

When she was pregnant with me, she would do the laundry and fold and iron while she was watched the One O'Clock Movie on TV. She loved watching Clark Gable, Robert Montgomery, and Ronald Colman most of all. After I was born, she would set up my playpen in front of the TV, and we would watch the One O'Clock Movies together.

Even today, while I'm watching a classic film I think I haven't seen before, certain scenes and bits of dialogue will seem oddly familiar. It's a weird experience, and I figure it's due to all those old movies I unconsciously absorbed in my early childhood.

I was also a literary prodigy of sorts, and I did my first high school term paper on the coming of sound in the movies when I was 15, using mostly primary and secondary sources, since there were no books on it at the time. I got to be so knowledgable on the topic I even gave special lectures in my university days! I still think the late silent/early talkie period is the most fascinating part of film history, and I'm still collecting material on it today.