Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
etmgator

ages of everyone on the board

Coffeedan, you're another one! I love your Trivia thread, but wouldn't you please share your knowledge about when "sound" came along, and whatever else you can tell us about the transition between the Silent and Sound era's? I'd love to hear more about his from you! ML

I am 17 and I have been watching classic movies since I was a baby. I am the only one of my friends or anyone I know for that matter that watches black and white movies. They all say they are not interesting w/o color. And I reply a GREAT movie doesnt need color.

classicsfan1119,

The first movie released with sound was "Don Juan" in 1925 by WARNER BROTHERS. The sound was recorded on discs and played in sync with the film. The more popular "The Jazz Singer" was released in 1926 using the same method.

In May 1927,Fox Films released news items such as Lindbergs flight across the Atlantic and later the Hindenberg airship disaster.This method was the first sound on film.Later on, Western Electric noiseless recordings and RCA High Fidelity entered the market.Some theaters did not immediately go to sound,thinking it would be just a passing fad.This soon changed with the hugh success of the sound era.

I too grew up in a small town during the 1940s and saw lots of TCM's Classic movies the first time around! I was a young child then, but many of these movies (and movie stars) made lasting impressions on me. It's such fun to see these films now and be surprised at the things I've remembered about them all these years - and what I have forgotten.

For instance, I saw Lucille Ball for the first time at the theater in "The Big Street" and all I remembered about that film was her fall down the stairs when she became crippled, and her being carried up the stairs at the end of the movie. I never forgot who she was though, but did not remember Henry Fonda at all.

My favorite movie from those years was "Cover Girl" and I loved Rita Hayworth's red hair!

I wish TCM could find some of Dorothy Lamour's old "jungle" movies (where she wore a sarong) to show, but I suspect they don't exist anymore. I've never seen any of those she made in the 1940s since I was a child and it would be fun to watch them again!

~Dee

Now I'm going to get yelled at again, but here we go:

Yes, welcome, Miniverrose, I hope you have a great time posting here, sharing your memories and meeting new people.

If you think you will be giving away an ending to a movie, like you did with THE BIG STREET in your post here, could you PLEASE remember to type the word **SPOILER** before you do it? Not everyone on these boards has seen every movie and would like to experience them without knowing the endings. Or, if everyone has, which has been suggested to me more than once after I've requested that people be more courteous on this topic, then at least do it for ME because I have NOT seen every movie ever made. Thank you for understanding.

Say Prof, Miniverrose's mention of a plot point in "The Big Street" is not the ending of that film, so don't fret. Also, anyone reading the cover of the vhs copy of this flick would know this part of the story as well. So chill a little, will you please? And by the way, I'm not yelling at you about your bugaboo, just making a polite request. I'd like more people to contribute to these boards--not just a few who follow "rules".

Welcome, Miniverrose. I envy you the experience of seeing so many of the classics from the '40s on in the theatre. Being a kid in the late '60s and early '70s, I can't say I saw too many classics this way, though I was taken to one of the last road show rereleases of "Gone With the Wind" at an early age. I loved Leslie Howard from then on. How I missed the glory of Clark Gable I don't know. Go figure.

In the second paragraph of my post, I inadvertently wrote "on in the theatre". It should've read "on the big screen in the threatre." sorry.

Gee - sorry about the "stairs" thing! Never thought of it as a "SPOILER" because there is so much MORE going on at the ending of the movie than THAT !

Thanks for the nice "Welcomes!"

Re seeing old movies in the theatre: In many ways it was great seeing these movies in first release, but at the time I was so young that only 'certain things' made impressions on me and caused me to remember them throughout the years. My mother, brother & I moved from a city (where the only film I remembered seeing was THE WIZARD OF OZ) to live with my grandmother in a small town with one theatre while my father was serving overseas during World War II. The theatre was just a few blocks from her house, so we could walk to it. The first movie I remember seeing after we moved there was the cartoon feature, HOPPITY GOES TO TOWN.

By early 1943 my brother and I were allowed to walk to the theatre and see the movies by ourselves and we went to the movies quite often. The theatre showed "first-run" movies on Monday and Tuesday, and then showed re-releases the rest of the week (was closed on Sundays.) They must have shown many pre-1943 movies because many years later I've remembered them and being surprised to find out the actual dates of their releases. I remember that my grandmother went with me to see NAUGHTY MARIETTA (Jeanette MacDonald/Nelson Eddy) because she had seen it before and liked it. THAT movie was released in 1935!!

It's interesting on looking back that we were allowed to see many movies that were somewhat "adult" in theme - at least for those days! Such as THIS GUN FOR HIRE, RANDOM HARVEST, WATCH ON THE RHINE, and the war movies. The only movie my mother would not let me see was THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE because of all the "scandalous" publicity about it! In many ways, the movies were our "baby sitter" back then, the way TV was for my children later on. I became a big fan of movies then and that has never let up! I was thrilled when my son bought his first VCR in 1981 while he was still living with us! Then I started taping some of the movie classics shown on late-night TV so I could watch them again! After he moved out we had to buy our own VCR and keep taping!

One other note before I finish ? I never saw GONE WITH THE WIND until the 1950s and really didn't know much about Clark Gable when I was young. I saw pictures of him in uniform in my movie magazines so I knew who he was; but "serious" actors ? Henry Fonda, Katharine Hepburn, Spencer Tracey, and others like them, didn't make much of an impression on me back then, and I did not appreciate their movies or their acting until I was an adult. Most of my lasting impressions of these old movies were either from 'very unusual moments' in a film that caught my attention - or something very funny - or especially beautiful - or the music, which was reinforced by hearing it repeated on the radio. This is what has made seeing these films again as an adult so very interesting and entertaining!

I am so pleased to see here on this board that young people are enjoying and appreciating these old movies. Some of my happiest times were spent introducing a "new" old movie to my son and daughter and watching them 'see' it for the first time! So enjoy TCM while we still have it! AMC was once a great movie channel for the old flicks, but as you all know, it really stinks now! I hope TCM never gets to that point!

~Dee

Thanks for the additional info about your moviegoing experiences, Dee. You're probably right about Clark Gable requiring a more, ahem, mature appreciation than either of us were capable of when we first saw GWTW. I'm so glad that you mentioned Random Harvest--as it features the sublime Ronald Colman. BTW, Tale of Two Cities is being shown this Thursday, April 8th at 2PM EDT. Set your vcr and I hope you'll keep contributing to the boards. :)

miniverrose i'm not sure about the jungle movies but all of the Road To movies that Lamour did with Bob Hope and Bing Crosby are all on DVD now. I bought Road to Singapore,Zanzibar, Utopia, and Morocco in a box set.

Thanks, I saw that recently.

The "Road To" films with Hope and Crosby & Lamour, plus maybe a couple of others, are the only early Dorothy Lamour films ever shown on TV for as long as I can remember! I loved the "Road To" movies and have them all on Video. Will see about starting a DVD collection of them now that they are coming out.

The first "Road" movie I saw was ROAD TO MOROCCO and the reason I remembered it was because of Hope's line about "Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!" You know what happened after that! All us kids thought that was the funniest thing we'd ever seen! -- Memorable Movie Moments! :-D

The jungle movies Dorothy Lamour made were pretty hokey, but it was fun to see her in a sarong (we were big fans of Tarzan back then.) The only one I can remember for sure is BEYOND THE BLUE HORIZON, and that may be because that song became very popular on the radio.

Pardon me, Moira, but six endings from movies I have never seen have been revealed to me since I joined these boards two weeks ago. I don't read reviews or video packages or even tv guide synopses before I watch a movie, I like to experience it without a lot of pre-conceived notions. I don't feel that it's too much for people to type one 7 letter word before they reveal a major plot point or ending. Why do I have to be fought on this every time I suggest it?

I'm sorry, Moira, if you and everyone else thinks my harping on this issue is such a big deal and involves a lot of rules and will ultimately discourage newcomers from posting here. I've never caught such hell from people by requesting such a simple, common courtesy that should not be so difficult to do. Yet so many people seem to think it's outrageous! Outside of one instance where my patience wore thin, I have asked people in a polite way to please respect this suggestion. I've enjoyed posting here and reading posts, but I'm tired of having films spoiled for me and then being chastised when I try to prevent it from happening again. It's a shame that asking people to be considerate is such an imposition on you.

Oh, Prof, I didn't mean to step on your toes--I'd just like people to feel free to write what they will about films that interest them--including you and everyone else. Knowing something about an intriguing movie I've never seen hasn't really diminished my enjoyment of it once I catch up with it, and I'm sorry if it ruins it for you. I'll certainly try not to interfere with your enjoyment or anyone else's here.

Besides, I'm trying to learn to accept the flaws in this imperfect world, at least within the confines of this message board--in part because I'm pretty deeply flawed myself, like everybody else here and it's a privilege to read the thoughts and communicate with so many different people about classic movies. Just as a polite compromise, could you make your point about spoilers without resorting to capitalization? Thanks, and peace.

Fair enough, Moira, and thanks for understanding. Revealing endings is, obviously, a pet peeve of mine and we all know how neck hair bristling pet peeves can be. One thing I've never made clear to you or anyone else here is that I came to the TCM Boards from another online board group where you often had to ALL CAPS shout to be heard. What a refuge TCM has been by comparison: I've never encoutered such a group of mature, intelligent, polite posters anywhere on the net. I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised considering we're posting on the boards for the greatest network in television history. Thankfully such a distinction does not leave a lot of room for negativity. If I sometimes seem too rough around the edges, some of it may be my nature, but most of it are remnants of my past message board experiences. So I beg your patience as I continue to experience these new methods of communication and adjust accordingly. Thanks and peace right back at 'ya. If you've ever read some of my responses to your posts, Moira, you know I am one of your biggest fans.

Also, please consider joining our off the boards chat group, which is very informal and a lot of fun. The TCM regular antarexpurgated can give you all the information. I hope to see you there.

I have my own bone to pick with you Professor! How 'bout easing up on the all the new topics that you are posting, especially the ones that say "STOP GIVING AWAY ENDINGS"! It always seems that your new topics are on the top of the page while other members get their topics pushed to the bottom of the page and finally into oblivion (the second and third pages). You certainly have the right to post as much as you want but how 'bout giving us a chance to digest the posts before you eagerly post another one.

Yeah, right, Nick. How about you just ignore my posts and expend a little effort to find your other precious ones before they fade away? I know it's a really hard thing to do, Nick, takes a lot of concentration and energy, but I'm confident that if you try real hard and concentrate to your fullest potential, you'll be able to do it.

I'll continue to post as I have been.

I don't engage in Message Board feuds, so this is my last comment on the subject. Post whatever you want in reply, but you won't get another response out of me.

And to think, just two messages ago I actually wrote the following:

"I've never encountered such a group of mature, intelligent, polite posters anywhere on the net."

All you have done since coming to our tranquil message boards is b*tch and complain about us having to give spoiler warnings! You must of posted it 57 times by now, you have an annoying habit of repeating yourself. I'll tell you sir, we got along pretty damn good with having great discussions about films (spoiling endings and all), way before you came around wanting to break everyone's rice bowl!

I think it's great that there are so many younger people on these boards. I'm 24, and I also have the same problem as the rest of you that are around my age - none of my friends appreciate the classics. We're a rare group to say the least. We should get together and form some sort of "young classic film buffs" club - or something to that effect.

A lot has been said about seeing the classics in their original release, and unfortunately most of us missed out on it, but there are many theaters and film societies around the country that show classics on the big screen.

In Hollywood, the Egyptian Theater regularly shows classic films. And here in New York, the Museum of Modern Art and the Film Forum show classics on a regular basis. There are a lot of old theaters around the country that were movie palaces in their prime, and although many of them have become either legitimate theaters or concert halls, once in awhile you'll see a classic movie night at one of these theaters. One of my dreams is to someday own an old movie palace, and only play movies from Hollywood's Golden Age. Maybe someday when I win the lottery or hit it big in Vegas.

I'm glad to see young people on here that are mature. When I look at other message boards, there's a lot of conflict that goes on & a lot of name calling. I can't stand that. Most people on this web site are respectful of each other's opinions & I haven't seen any name calling. Makes it oh so pleasant to visit here where sanity reigns supreme!!!

brackenhe,

You hit the nail on the head, my friend. I only post on two other message boards (both are for bands I enjoy) and they are both filled with mature, intelligent, and, key word, PEACEFUL posters. However, I recently began posting on a message board for a show I enjoy on Comedy Central and after a month I am about to throw my hands up in the air and surrender.

The show, which will remain nameless, has the rudest, most immature people to ever spend time behind a keyboard. It seems that someone will start a topic, and then everyone denigrates and badgers the poor sap who was foolish enough to open a forum of discussion. The name calling and overall attitude of these 'fans' is brutal. I have tried to add posts on that site in the intelligent, respectful way that I am accustomed to, only to be ridiculed by this mob of passive-aggressive sadists.

I have seen whole message boards literally destroyed by one or two bad seeds, but that Comedy Central board is swarming with them! It's a shame. I personally only post on two or three boards at any given time, because like everyone else here, I have other things in life to occupy my time. Things like work, family, friends, and, oh yeah, MOVIES! I just wanted to say that I am glad I jumped on board here (five days ago, in fact). The people on this board are intelligent, friendly, and most importantly, are fanatical about cinema....My kind of people! I wonder why I didn't joined sooner......