Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
etmgator

ages of everyone on the board

Typo: in that last sentence, I meant to say JOIN instead of 'joined.' I will go ahead and apologize now for the dozens of typos I will obviously make in the future. I just hate to try to make an intelligent point only to see that I misspelled something simple. Maybe those nights spent drinking in college should have been spent studying.......

Same here cinemetal - I'm almost 25 now, and I think I saw my first "Laurel and Hardy" when I was three - and I've been hooked on the classics ever since.

I'm 20 and I've been watching Turner Classic Movies for a few months now. I always figured that TCM was probably like every other channel and edits the movies so I never bothered with it like how I never bother to watch movies on tv. I started watching once I found out that my opinion of TCM was wrong and I've been loving the classics ever since.

Welcome, Menchirations! Yes, TCM is the only one (I'm not sure about the Fox channel because I don't get it? ) that does not edit for any reason, and will not insert commercials into the body of the film as it's showing. Not only this, you will also see the very finest of Classic movies and documentaries or specials about the movie people of that era on TCM. I suggest that you visit TCM's Homepage and give it a careful looking over to get the most out of your TCM viewing...and sign up for their e-mailed Newsletter and Monthly Schedules, so that you don't miss anything. Every month TCM features something different, and I know that you're going to like it.

And, please join in our discussions here....lots of people are your age, and a few of us are "a bit" older, but all of us will be happy to give you any information you'd like to have. Again, Welcome! :)ML

And, speaking of "ages"...I seem to remember that Antar mentioned many moons ago having an important April birthday, and I haven't seen anything more about that. So, Antar...whenever it was, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)ML

Thanks ML! :) Yes, my birthday was the 26th of last month.

Interesting to see the ages of the board members ... I'm 47 and began my love affair with classic films with one of the best -- Top Hat. That was in 1974. There was a week-long Fred & Ginger festival that I happened to catch and I've been hooked ever since. I haven't seen the older films on the big screen, but I can say that I've seen all of the Top 100 AFI films and am working on the top 250 as well. I love story-telling on film!!! Thanks for listening. Dini

Of AFI's top 100 list, there are only two I haven't seen (The Birth of a Nation & The Jazz Singer). However, I'm not sure what you are referring to, Dini, wrt the top 250 list (unless you mean imdb's list, which is a piece of doo doo IMO).

Can you clarify the top 250 list to which you are referring and/or provide an internet link to it (or is it from a book you own)?

What I can find (on AFI's website) is their initial list of 400 nominees for consideration. Of these - http://www.afi.com/Docs/tvevents/pdf/movies400.pdf , I've seen all but 66 films.

I'm 17 and I started watching classic movies when I was about 13. I've had TCM for a little over a year and I really wonder how I ever lived without it. But next year when I go to college I won't have it! I really don't know how I will survive!

kimbo3200 - you better start looking into other colleges! With all the studying and work that comes with college, you're gonna need TCM to relax from it all. I would go nuts not having TCM - it would be like losing an arm! Sounds crazy but that's how much I love this station!

Hey I have a question for all you "oldies but goodies" out there. Try to remember exactlly what a movie on its first release looked liked. Now when they restore a film to its very originality, does it look the same or not?

mutinyetc,

I saw so many films on first release,but i'll single out the first monster flic I saw. FRANKEINSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN, as with other Universals,had a glossy,atmospheric look.The Republics had sharp clear images,the MGM'S offered a softer,lush image,especially in their musicals[which were the least of my favorites],and so on.Most restored films I've seen,are equal to the first releases as I remember them.Speaking of restored films,how many of you remember when GONE WITH THE WIND was released in widescreen[70 mm] with stereophonic sound!!!

OMG I remember that roldfilm....half the image was gone...I think Olivia deHavilland played her death scene with only her nose!

jhnrndqlt,

I think most anyone who saw this version has the same opinion as we do.I remember the top of Gables head being reduced a well as other alterations.The color was so bright,it was an irritant.And the less said about the sound the better!Another note about the remastered versions.The sound,even digitally remastered,is not the same as when they were originally screened.Even projection methods have radically changed[sometimes for the worse I think].To sum up,the entire theater experience is not the same as it was when I was going to the movies.

I'm 19 and have been watching old/classic movies since I was about 8. I remember when they introduced TCM and being really happy about having another channel to choose from (along with AMC).

Mercy