Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
busterchaney

Yeah, show more Elvis movies...

Doing so allows me to take a break from tv viewing and accomplish some of my recording/review duties for all the real reel classics shown on TCM. Those Elvis movies must be the most embarrassing property in the MGM catalog.

Yes indeed...show all of the Elvis movies, and show them repeatedly....on AMC! I realize, too, that we frequently have "special" programming on TCM, but please don't get too carried away with the Elvis movies. Ok?

:P ML

I love Elvis films for the same reason I like a lot of cheesey films from the 60's--because they're fun. Nothing more, nothing less. In fact, I guess they aren't really films (hifalutin' term) more like flicks or movies. You gotta love the clothes, the bad dialogue and the crazy songs. No one ever said we have to be serious about film ALL the time.

Elvis "movies" have never expected anyone to take them as "seriously" as we do the "films" of broader artistic achievement. It's perfectly Ok for you to get a kick out of his movies, though, and I won't put you down for it. I just don't happen to care for Elvis, or his movies, even though most of my friends were swooning over him at the time he was all the rage after his appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show. A bunch of us watched him together that night, in fact. There are lots of other "movies" that I do like very much...so please don't think that it's only "films" (when I use this word) that attracts me to the world of Cinema. :) ML

I used to use the terms "film" and "movie" interchangeably, but not so much anymore now that I've found out that some differentiate between 'em. Some even consider "film" to be something of a pretension :o, that's why I primarily use "movie" now...

What does it even matter? Cinema is cinema is cinema! I've never used the term "film" so as to appear superior to anyone who uses the term "movie", and I find it very unfair for someone to put me down as being "pretentious" when I have said "film". What is that about? ML

Oh, ML! Ya don't think I was puttin' ya down, do ya? No, no, no! I was just making an observation. I know you don't use "film" pretentiously, I never did either, but I found out recently that some people think it is pretentious. I'm not saying I think it is, I used to use the term myself. My comment wasn't directed toward you in any way...

Believe me, I entirely agree w/ya that it doesn't matter at all...I also think it's ridiculous that other people think it does. I've not seen anything on these boards that would lead me to think anyone here makes a big deal about it, so maybe it was stupid for me to even bring it up...

I wasn't trying to be pretentious using "Film" and "Movie" differently. I realize that they are really the same thing. Just in my own mind do I differentiate the two. I would never actually act that way in front of people, except maybe my friends here.

I truly did not direct what I said at anyone. It was just a stupid observation that really had nothing to do w/y'all. When I see the word "film," I honestly don't think anything of it. But recently, I'd heard that some people do have a screwed up view of it, but not any of you. Sorry I even mentioned any of it...

Well, Antar...then maybe you'd like to tell us who these people are who have told you that the word "film" and thus the people who use it are pretentious. Or, maybe they'd like to step up and speak for themselves, seeing as how this has been brought to our Forums as an important issue for discussion now. ML

I use the terms "movie, film, flick, interchangably simply to vary the noun as I was taught you should do to avoid boring repetion. When I use the term "celluloid" then I'm being snotty...peasents!

ML, I got that from a discussion I'd seen on the IMDb boards a while back...I just thought it was kinda interesting since I'd never seen it that way...

"Moving pictures" always works, too...

...okay, I don't know about always--not in this day and age, I guess!