Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]I Said / His Lordship Said... Anglo-American Expressions[/b]

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some areas of Boston will not be happy about that. Becoming a global village may make us all the same - and boring.

" 'Everybody says words different,' said Ivy. 'Arkansas folks says 'em different, and Oklahomy folks says 'em different. And we seen a lady from Massachusetts, an' she said 'em different of all. Couldn't hardly make out what she was sayin'!' "

-- John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath, 1939.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

BRIT: Rubble*

AMER: Trouble

...*In the 2001 version of Ocean's Eleven uncredited Don Cheadle, ultra-Cockney accented, explains a procedure to the gang, and ends with what could go wrong and cause "rubble". They look blank: He explains, "Barney Rubble." Still blank, so he translates from the British Rhyming Slang, "Trouble!"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

first post on the new format

noun

BRIT:  Muck

AMER:  Mess, filth, esp. mud or barnyard dung, etc.

verb

BRIT:  Muck about

AMER:  Goof off, f**k around, etc, esp. while neglecting assigned tasks or duties.  Includes causing hardship to those in charge.

"I will not be mucked about!"

...verbatim  from dialogue in The Bofors Gun (British, 1968), by a detail Sergeant dealing with some finagling Privates.

BRIT:  Mobile (pronounced mo-Bile)

AMER:  Cell phone

BRIT:  I'm going to chunder.

AMER:  I'm gonna throw up.

Expressions used in Minnie Driver's dialogue in the 4/8/14 episode of About a Boy on NBC

BTW, the etymology of "chunder"is a hoot.  To be found online under British Slang.

Edited by flashback42
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BRIT:  "I have need of a gentleman who's comfortable with firearms and not hesitant to engage in dangerous endeavors." *

AMER:  "I'm looking to hire a gunman.  A good one, with experience."

*...Dialogue from the new SHO series Penny Dreadful, which premiered last night.

• 3 weeks later...