Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHAT?S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT: TCM's [u]Winter[/u] Wonderland Film School

CineMaven

"...And you have to wonder what sort of upbringing Mildred had as well...I think families w/ this many issues are rarely one-time events... often they are more like 'endless cycles.' "

You are so right about "endless cycles." Mildred married young to get away from her home-life. I imagine Mildred's parents married even younger. I imagine.

BEING VEDA would never be enough. She would need THINGS to be liked...loved.

"...but I guess what I am saying is that ...Veda obviously "esteemed" herself as being worthy of having whatever she wanted and far superior to everyone else. But she did not have any respect for herself in terms of how low she would allow herself to sink in order to get what she wanted... (such as the whole..."I'm pregnant/no I'm not"... sort of thing etc...) Maybe I could have worded myself a bit better there."

Nope, you worded it just fine. I understand wha'cha mean. She had a very high opinion of herself as deserving everything she wanted. Gee, was she wrong.

there is no doubt in my mind, Mildred really loved her daughters...in her own way.

...If she could accomplish what was lacking in her own life through them...it would still be a way for her to have those things for herself. "

Again, I understand what you're saying...and I agree with you.

But your line about the ?fully loaded toddler? is great...brilliant...excellently put.

"Thanks...but I have to confess to you, one of my main reasons for being so interested in THIS assignment from the very beginning was due to a slight "moment" I had w/ my own child shortly before reading your original post. She is no longer a toddler... (just turned 6) but she is still VERY articulate for her age...and when she is willful...oh dear me.... she is definitely a "pistol". HA. I just remember thinking back then that it all starts when we are young... Our attitudes toward authority and how we show compassion toward others in life and whether or not we think more of ourselves than we ought to...those all come very much from how our parents teach us when we are young. Kids are like "playdough" sometimes... and we can mold them into something beautiful...or we can turn them out as rotten little monsters... it is a HUGE responsibility...but one that is very well worth it all in the end."

Oh Rohanaka, your thoughts are very deep. You, as a mom, have a great responsibility to your daughter and to society for delivering to it a person who will make a positive contribution to it. I work in a school with emotionally disturbed children. (Trust me...you wouldn't want to meet any of them in a dark playground). And their parents did a real pi$$-poor job of educating their children. And the kids in my school range from Kg-5th grades. Oooh, their parents have unleashed a lot of trouble for the future society. Keep your passports handy.

I have no children...but I was a kid once. Some of the lessons were hard, swift and embarassing. (I remember one Thanksgiving when I passed on getting green peas on my plate and I forgot to say "no thank you." My father...hey wait, this is about "MILDRED PIERCE.") My folks taught us morals and ethics.

Mildred created a monster and this monster virtually tried to destroy her. Veda had the upper hand a lot of times and diminished Mildred's power on several occasions. But I loved the confrontation between Veda and Mildred. Whew that slap!!! That slap woke up Mildred; that slap woke up JOAN CRAWFORD. She rises up from the staircase and...well, you know the rest. That scene ranks as one of the screen's greatest moment.

It's funny how the laser sharp foresight of Eve Arden and Jack Carson tried to help Mildred but...nothing could get through to her.

And how about the ultimate betrayal of Veda... trying to steal her mom's new husband. (And him showing interest in her. Yeech!) There's something so sordid and unseemly (and cinematically wonderful) about all that. Only Zachary Scott could give a little "brat" like that her comeuppance.

"Thanks for letting me work all these little "mom" moments out. This is a fun class... we can show up early, show up late... We can even show up in our pajamas...WHO would ever know?? But it is nice to get a chance to chat all this over with such a ' flexible ' teacher!!"

You are so generous to use the euphemism "flexible" rather than "lazy." BTW, I STILL hate green peas.

(PS...how's the big video assignment?? Hope you are having fun.)

You, as a mom, have a great responsibility to your daughter and to society for delivering to it a person who will make a positive contribution to it.

Thank you for seeing it that way, Professor. A lot of people don't. I have worked around school kids of various ages for over 10 years.... and I can tell you it seems as if a lot of folks out there want to have babies... but not too many people are as interested in raising children.... and after having said that, I will leave off stepping any further up on the old soapbox..as I am sure I could go on and on (and on).

I work in a school with emotionally disturbed children. (Trust me...you wouldn't want to meet any of them in a dark playground

And THAT is a great responsibility too. One year, several years ago, I had 3 boys that I got to work with...they all had their own parole officers... it was an INTERESTING year. In a school situation, I know it sometimes takes a lot of determination to stick with a kid like that and not take the things they do "personally" . I imagine you have a lot on your plate emotionally everyday...but it could be rewarding just to see even one kid make progress.

It's funny how the laser sharp foresight of Eve Arden and Jack Carson tried to help Mildred but...nothing could get through to her.

Except for that whole "slap" thing...

BTW, I STILL hate green peas

Give me BROWNIES any day over those slimy green monsters!! (and their nasty little cousins "blackeyed peas" are NO better either.... Blech!!! :-) Ha... I once wrote an essay in high school...

Our assignment: A Descriptive Essay

My title: "Green Peas...Yuck!"

My grade: A+!!!!!! :-)