Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

WHAT?S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT: TCM's [u]Winter[/u] Wonderland Film School

*"Kyle, I take it that if you're recommending The Sterile Cuckoo in this thread, you feel it would enhance the class discussion?"* - FF

I like the movie. I am not claiming it is a "curriculum-friendly" romantic melodrama. Far from it. It's no *Summer of '42*. I just happened to come across the poster online today and the tagline in the poster seemed timely to the subject of this class. And it made me laugh.

It is a teen-age love story made for adults. And the character of "Pookie Adams" is one is not soon to forget. (It also proves that Liza Minnelli made more than one great movie ( *Cabaret* ) and its not even a musical. But that is beside the context of this class.)

Kyle In Hollywood

Hi KJK,

I've never seen "The Sterile Cuckoo." But I vividly remember when the movie came out. My sister saw it. Maybe I'll check it out. Why didn't Liza have a bigger career in films? I know they tried to fit in her in the niche of musicals, but they were fading by the 60's right? She could do drama and comedy like her mother. And then I know she had her live shows. I wonder why her career in films wasn't bigger.

Aaaaaaah, "The Summer of '42." Hermie and the young wife. Wasn't Jennifer O'Neill lovely?

Aaaaaaah, "The Summer of '42." Hermie and the young wife. Wasn't Jennifer O'Neill lovely?

I vaguely remember the movie, myself, but I do remember I enjoyed it a lot. I hope to be able to watch it again soon - on my brand new 42" flat-screen. ;)

(Get it? *Summer of '42* - on a 42" TV?) :P

I'm going to feel this way until I don't feel this way anymore! (embarrassed over THEY DRIVE BY NIGHT)

But what the hey, that's past herstory. So I'll concentrate (tonight) on love and try to work up a thesis.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Say...let's put a Gloria Grahame film up for discussion. Any suggestions? Love didn't treat her too well in the movies.

I think *In A Lonely Place* would be a nice choice. That might spark a good discussion. Hopefully Mr. Grimes will join in.

*Human Desire* is another thought.

Brief Encounter

or perhaps

Jules et Jim

Scsu- why do your classroom policies remind me of Cool Hand Luke? :)

"Any student who fails to attend class spends a night in the box...."

"Any student who is tardy spends a night in the box...."

"Any student caught using a cell phone in class spends a night in the box...."

If I may make a general suggestion for the curicculum...

I think it would be helpful if the class could try to choose some titles from the upcoming TCM schedule so that everyone has the chance to view them and then be able to participate in the subsequent discussion.

Films I would suggest for study from the upcoming schedule on TCM -

_Saturday Dec. 6_

*Kitty Foyle* (1940) with Ginger Rogers.

"A girl from the wrong side of the tracks endures scandal and heartbreak when she falls for a high-society boy."

_Tuesday Dec. 9_

*The Story Of Three Loves* (1953) with Ethel Barrymore, James Mason and others.

"Passengers on an ocean liner recall their greatest loves."

and/or

*Portrait Of Jennie* (1948) Joseph Cotten and Jennifer Jones

"An artist discovers his gift when he falls for a beautiful ghost."

_Wednesday Dec.10_

*The Bishop's Wife* (1947) with Cary Grant, Loretta Young and David Niven.

"An angel helps set an ambitious bishop on the right track."

(No mention of the attraction between Dudley and the "Bishop's Wife". Hmmm.)

_Thursday, Dec. 11_

*My Fair Lady* (1964) with Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison

"A phonetics instructor bets that he can pass a street urchin off as a lady."

(Or class could wait until *Pygmalion* is shown in February and March.)

and/or

*Summer And Smoke* (1961) with Geraldine Page and Laurence Harvey

"A small-town spinster's repressed love for the local rebel spells danger."

_Saturday Dec. 13_

*Strange Love Of Martha Ivers, The* (1946) with Barbara Stanwyck

"Years after a murder drove them apart, an heiress tries to win back her lost love."

_Tuesday Dec. 16_

*Gaslight* (1944)

"A newlywed fears she's going mad when strange things start happening at the family mansion."

Those are the titles that I think would be good additions to the curriculum that are showing on TCM during the next two weeks. Do with them what you will. It was just a thought on my part.

Kyle In Hollywood

I like Kyle's suggestions. It does make it easier for everyone if we're not discussing movies you have to rent or buy or have previously recorded from TCM.

Having said that, I also like Jackie's suggestion of perhaps one or two foreign-language movies to spice things up. I'd love to include *Un homme et un femme* or *Les parapluies de Cherbourg* to the class list, but if anyone here has any inconvenience, then we can just stick with the English-language titles.

> {quote:title=JackFavell wrote:}{quote}

> Scsu- why do your classroom policies remind me of Cool Hand Luke? :)

>

> "Any student who fails to attend class spends a night in the box...."

>

> "Any student who is tardy spends a night in the box...."

>

> "Any student caught using a cell phone in class spends a night in the box...."

There is little difference between an institution of higher learning and a chain gang.

What about:

Class will begin on Tuesday December 2nd. The first film up for discussion will be "MILDRED PIERCE."

Are we just supposed to start writing our "essay"? Or do you have specific ideas in mind to discuss??

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> What about:

>

> Class will begin on Tuesday December 2nd. The first film up for discussion will be "MILDRED PIERCE."

>

> Are we just supposed to start writing our "essay"? Or do you have specific ideas in mind to discuss??

I just want to know what's going to be on the test.