Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Chimerical

TCM Remembers 2008/Deaths of 2008

That was a wonderful post and I thank you for it. While we all have the perfect right to offer our views - be they positive or otherwise - harsh or gratuitous criticisms of something like the TCM Remembers piece always strike me as plain-out humbuggery, and make me want to shout, "Yeah? Ok, lets see YOU do it!" If some people don't care for the selection of music, that is one thing, as musical tastes are pretty subjective and quite strong, I always find. But the sheer sensitivity, knowledge, and skill, combined with a sense of what is fitting and 'right' required to produce such a piece, do not make it one that can be 'thrown together' by just anybody. It must be an extremely emotional experience, as well, and I would like to shout out my "Bravos" and "Bravas" to all who work to bring such a singular, special, and beautiful piece forward each year.

Message was edited by: Pia

Lynn, I couldn't agree more that the TCM Remembers compilation far exceeds the memorial montage in the Oscars production. Whoever the unsung editor at TCM is who puts these together really makes an artistic, beautiful tribute, and I think this year's is the best ever. The Oscars? Meh.

I agree that the TCM remembers is a thoughtful, well made and reverent compilation. The only other end of year honor role that I watch is on CBS Sunday Morning.... they usually do a fine job, but include folks from other areas of the arts, and world leaders and such.....

"TCM Remembers" somehow manages to be, truly, the end of the year for me. Seriously, it is so depressing to know that some of my idols have passed on, and Turner Classic Movies always does it with such dignity and grace. I have to say that the passing of some in particular resonate with me quite significantly. Heath Ledger, whose Joker in The Dark Knight, is a milestone in charcter acting. The man would have done great things, but he went out like any other tragic poet of life; James Dean-style- "ON TOP." Ben Chapman just so happened to be, in disguise, one of my most favorite "Creatures" to ever grace the silver screen. And Forrest J. Ackerman.........that's just so sad, even though it was so inevitable. He has to go down in history as one of the most dedicated film historians ever. Even if his agenda was predominantly "Sci-Fi" (the phrase he coined), fantasy, monsters, etc., nobody can claim to be a bigger film enthusiast than he was.

This year's "TCM Remembers" segment was justly poignant (as always), partly because of many of those who have passed. But also because these guys really know how to salute those who made it possible for the station to exist.

Hi i'm tori nice to meet you i been watching tcm since i left omaha,ne

i now live in sacramento,ca since 2004 to start a new life.

so how are you?

are you ok?

i'm fine i just love turner classic movies.

i watched "The Love Bug" and "The Shaggy D.A."

i love Dean Jones and Tim Conway.

i wonder what ever happened to Dean Jones?

and Tim Conway?

well you be safe please and take care of yourself.

oh yeah we loss a lot of people this year.

oh how simply sad.

see you-tori-:(

We lost so many great people this year. One of my absolute favorite actresses, Anita Page, just passed away this September. I'm happy TCM included her in the tribute, but it just makes me so sad to see it. I think I can only handle seeing it once, it's so sad and depressing. We've been losing classic stars left and right lately, it seems.

According to Wikipedia, Anita Page was a victim of sexual harassment

<< In a 2004 interview with author Scott Feinberg, she claimed that her refusal to meet demands for sexual favors by MGM head of production Irving Thalberg, supported by studio chief Louis B. Mayer, is what truly ended her career. She said that Mayer colluded with the other studio bosses to ban her and other uncooperative actresses from finding work. >>

Too bad she didn't have the benefits of todays law that could have protected her.

She did left with her dignity

Wasn't Thalburg married to Norma Shearer at that time? While I certainly would not wish to doubt Miss Page's accounting, I have never heard (read) that MGM's Boy Wonder had ever had that problem/reputation. I wonder who else - if anyone - may have also publically recounted a similar experience, as men like that generally behave that way compulsively. I recall from reading an old Jean Harlow bio that he and his wife were best friends with Harlow until her death at 26, and really helped her through the whole Paul Bern suicide debacle (Thalburg, from his position of absolute power, second only to Louis B. Mayer, was, I believe, Harlow's first phonecall upon discovering Bern's body, and he ran that show from the moment he arrived at the house.) Norma Shearer was there for Jean emotionally, from what little I recall reading, along woman-to-woman lines.

Whether Thalburg was guilty of this practice or not, I really hope that type of monstrous behaviour and sick abuse of power has all but disappeared from Hollywood.

Message was edited by: Pia, to correct any assumptions about Thalburg that may be untrue..

I have a question about one of the actresses in the 'Remembers' piece, which I keep forgetting to ask! And of course, I can't recall the name - and I had never seen her that I can recall, or heard her name prior to this. She is a very pretty blonde, the shot of her in the piece shows a semi-closeup of a woman in her late 20s/early 30's, with a hairstyle that looks mid to late 60's. Is the first name Roberta maybe? Grr, I'm going to watch it now and return here with the name, sorry.

My gosh - I just realized that there are actually TWO lovely young blondes. I am not familiar with. One is Roberta Collins - was she driving, I think? The other is Julie Ege. Can anyone tell me something more than what I can find in Wikopedia? Films they were especially good in, in your opinion?

Message was edited by: Pia

I'd guess you're correct, Pia (are you a pain in the ****? JJ) Guys who do that, do it compulsively & Irving didn't seem like that type. And it reinforces what I've said before; Wikipedia is NOT a fact based website, more opinion based. They do not require proof of statements posted and I've seen a LOT of mistakes and heresay.

I also want to get back to the original subject; at first I disliked the music of the "Remembers" spot. Now that I've heard it a few times, it's haunted my mind and I hear it over and over. Even the strange voice of the singer has stuck in my craw. Gonna look for him at the record store-good job!

OHHH - you mean P I A? Lol, Oh, no doubt - but I chose it in honor of a Swedish actress whose photograph (or so the story goes) at the age of 16, dancing with the Prince, was spotted in a Stockholm newspaper by director Bo Widerberg. He contacted her and convinced her (she had no acting aspirations up until that time) to test for a film he was casting, about the true story of a teenaged tightrope dancer.

One summer In the 1850's a popular Swedish circus performer ran away from her parents - and her many admirers - with a married army officer and father of two. Relentlessly hunted by both the sheriffs as well as the military police seeking the young lieutennant on charges of desertion, the couple soon found themselves with no place left to turn.. The tale's end is as tragic as can be. There were no blissful triumphant lovers, only numerous broken hearts. The name of the young dancer - as well as the name of the award-winning 1967 film, was 'Elvira Madigan'. The beautiful, young actress who played Elvira was named Pia Degermark. Pia also starred with gorgeous Christopher Jones in the internationally released 1971 John le Carre film, 'The Looking Glass War', - but those are the only two films of hers I have seen. In 'Madigan', she is the most beautiful woman (actually, young girl) I have ever seen, anywhere, ever, in my short life! (Sorry for the 'Long Version"!)

And by the way, I have always wished TCM would show more foreign films - at a slightly more palatable hour - as I am also a fan of many European directors as well as actors, and I am sure that I am not the only one. I am very lo-tech, with my VCR as my only means of recording stuff.

Is she still in the piece? I seem to remember someone said that a person with that first name was lifted and replaced with Van Johnson. Not sure though.

The one I just watched that did show her, was via the link of the piece posted most recently (along with the one for 2007) on this thread. Perhaps they 're-inserted' her, as I don't recall the driving scene of her from before. Hmmm.

I joined the TCM site in order to find out more about the TCM Remembers 2008. I did not see the entire thing, however the last couple of minutes that I did see were haunting. I wasn't sure about the song, but that was haunting too. Whomever is responsible for creating this, great job. This is a beautiful tribute to the memory of film makers who we grew to love and will actually miss, even though we never met them and will never. The older guys like Paul Newman, who is my absolute favorite, and the young guys like Heath, who were such a loss. You guys captured this well. Thanks

How can I view this again without camping out in front of the TV?

Message was edited by: Williamsport

*<< In a 2004 interview with author Scott Feinberg, she claimed that her refusal to meet demands for sexual favors by MGM head of production Irving Thalberg, supported by studio chief Louis B. Mayer, is what truly ended her career. She said that Mayer colluded with the other studio bosses to ban her and other uncooperative actresses from finding work.*

Ham,

We had an author as one of our monthly guests at the SSO during the summer and she had wanted to do a book a few years back on Anita Page. After talking with friend of the actress as well as Ms. Page herself, she realized that Ms. Page's memory wasn't as clear as it had once been. One of the reasons Ms. Page stopped doing interviews was because she realized she was having memory problems as well distinguishing between the facts and the tricks of memory.

As an oral historian, I've faced this problem myself with interviewees and you sometimes have to thoroughly research what they say because memories change over the years as we get older.

Williamsport, although I am pretty new myself, I will say 'Welcome' anyway! Yes, you don't have to glue yourself to the tv! - Links to the youtube video play of this year's piece, "TCM Remembers, 2008', are posted on several places on this thread, OR you can just go to youtube, and enter the above title. If this is the first year you are enjoying this memorial, please know that they have done one every year for several years now. Just type in , 'TCM Remembers' and the desired year, again on youtube. The music to this year's piece IS very haunting, good description, by the way. It is a song called, "God Only Knows', by Joe Henry, who also had his song, "Flesh and Blood' used as the musical accompaniment to the 2005 TCM Remembers - another quite beautiful and haunting song. Enjoy!

"How can I view this again without camping out in front of the TV?"--Williamsport.

Hey Williamsport...a true fan of TCM would indeed camp out in front of the tv set to see a spot again.

Don't punk out with YouTube. Get that sleeping bag ready, newbie.

P.S. You're new so you don't know my sense of humor.

;-)

I'm kidding.

2007's TCM Remembers was so great.

Whoever did this year's TCM Remembers should be caned to death.

It's like they ran a crappy Bruce Springsteen song through filters.

Terrible.

Don't know if you fellow "TCM-ITES" already know this one

Just in case Just got word Eartha Kitt also went at age 91-(some say 81, however other books cite the former date) I was never a fan at all of her though, always preferring>Julie Newmar as tv's Catwoman-(she's actually 6'1) & they had Lee Meriweather-(likely misspelled her name)

as well on the 1966-68 show

However, Pfeiffer is "THEE ULTIMATE CATWOMAN!" OSCAR winner: *Halle Berry hit the $$$ deck with her own version & it was a lousy film as well

Anyway, someone to add to the ever growing sad list

(P.S. We all know come OSCAR night-(February 22nd) When they do the annual "Death Roll" The legendary: *PAUL NEWMAN will be last) Who else has seen the mini-series he won an EMMY for>Empire Falls?" Same feel,etc as the terrific 1994 "Nobody's Fool" (***1/2)-(another of his 9 nominations) Reason being, it's from the same writer/novelist & a fine movie too (***)

HBO often still airs it & it's likely on DVD by now

I thought the sexual advances were from Mayer, not Thalberg. Mayer was a total creep and hypocrite so it sounds like his "style." Doesn't Leatrice Fountain talk about sex parties with MGM contract starlets Mayer would organize for visiting theater owners? Everything about this guy is disgusting.

Hey Scarfo,

I have to disagree with your view of TCM Remembers 2008. I played it over and over again.

I felt it had a "haunting" effect and it seemed to bring me to another place. Like I actually knew the legends hi-lited, and I honestly have never heard of half of them. It just did something to me that I can't really explain, but it was a good thing. Sorry you didn't get that from the song because it was really neat.